Quantcast

Possible throw out bearing problem

Kinarfi

Looking at pictures that I can find of the throw out bearing, it appears that it rides on a stationary shaft and only touches the clutch finger when engaged. Mine has making noises like it in contact when not engaged and sound bad and some times it still sound bad when engaged.

Any one have any ideas.

kinarfi

Guest Lenny

Adjust your clutch so there is some slave cylinder shaft movement after the clutch is engaged. This should allow the throwout bearing to completely draw away from the spring plate on the clutch disk. If it's making a growliing noise when the pedal is down, the bearing is probably bad. A bad throwout bearing is fine as long as it still does its job. If the noise gets too loud, I would replace it.

Lenny

worked on the throw out bearing noise today, I grabbed the lever that is attached to the clutch master cylinder and pulled on it to collapse the master cylinder, then had my wife start the trooper and try to shift, It wouldn't disengage the clutch and go into gear - so I tried it and pumped the clutch a few times and all seems fine now. It's like the throw out bearing moved closet to the clutch finger and didn't return to it's home position and then started touching the fingers and spinning the whole bearing on it's shaft, sounded bad, but it doesn't seem to be doing it now.

Kinarfi

Guest Lenny

When you push the clutch in does it occasionally seem to stick and not want to push in like it's jamed or something? There is a potential design problem with the throwout bearing setup. I recently put an double extra duty clutch in mine and discovered the problem. Mine was sticking causing the pedal to not want to go down. If I pushed the pedal a few times it would let go and work fine again. I also noticed that my transmission sounded loose lately so when I did the clutch I also pulled the transmission to check it out. I was thinking I would have to put all new bearings in it but It was nice and tight. I think what I was hearing was the throwout bearing not releasing all the way off the pressure plate fingers and spinning all the time.

I also had a self inflicted problem that was caused when I moved the lower part of my front wheel well back to make clearance for larger tires. I reduced the available swing for the clutch pedal causing me to have to have it adjusted just right. If too far one way, it would hang up and not shift. If too far the other way, it would disengage ok but wouldn't engage fully and slip. Solved this by adding more stroke to the pedal.

The throwout bearing uses a nylon type bearing on its ID to slide up and down on its guide sleeve. This nylon bearing has sort of a shallow spleen look, I assume to help keep dirt cleared from under it The main problem with the throwout bearing setup is that it slides on a stationary aluminum sleeve that is part of the bell housing casting. In my case, this sleeve was not centered on the trtansmission shaft causing the throwout bearing to be off center. By being off center, when disengaging the clutch, the bearing was forced to be constantly skidding on the pressure plate fingers and causing it to wiggle around on this aluminum sleeve. Not only did this cause noise but it also put uneven pressure on the bearing. The wiggling around caused the throwout bearings inner nylon ID bearing to wear itself into the aluminum sleeve. My sleeve actually had shallow spleen groves worn into it. The extra slop created by this wear caused the throwout bearing to be able to hang up on its guide sleeve and not want to slide.

I don't think that this is a common problem but the fix is a bit messy. what I did was to remachine the aluminum sleeve so it was centered on the transmisson shaft. Then I machined a thin steel sleeve which I pressed onto the machined down aluminum sleeve. This not only solved the mis-centered problem but also provided a much more durable and smoother surface for the throwout bearing to slide on. Will be back up and running in a day or two. Spoke with Casey at JMC and he is going to bring the problem to the Chery reps attention so they will hopefully correct it in the future.

2974354600104928832oOTIaQ_th.jpg

9 Pics total. About the 5th picture down, you can see where I began machining showing how far off center the sleeve was and how deep the worn in groves were.

Lenny