Quantcast

Diff alternative?

Hello everybody,

I'm looking at buying another new rear diff unit for my t2. Im wondering if anyone else got different idea that was successful? Like someone using Ford 7.5 diff's was that successful? New unit from sb is a bit high for my taste but much better than other dealer quoted me at $1200

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/0te7a4fjixwleoy/oFzXZieOWX

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/985lnj8u4q5m4hk/cgDImnQ2Gm

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/8l9j5tpzmwbpedg/zUH8B-pE1V

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/d0g8j337gt0hnwc/S0ceDY09pN

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1afivknnz3lz6th/0qbEdXRgq-

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/56cocbujkty57fp/oHjDWdove-

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/xl4cldm7n5iygh9/aMZHTxlzjI

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/owarnnsfatun8ko/Kvnh8bemDq

Those are pictures in my dropbox from my phone.

I know i need ring and pinion for t2 and the bearings are pretty bad and sloppy loose, seals would be good also my pinion bushing is shot. Only 1500 miles on it. I also need an rear left half shaft from diff to rear left wheel

Brandon

Guest Lenny

The Renegade gearing uses the same 32 tooth ring gear but a 14 tooth pinion gear where as the stock Trooper gearing used a 15 tooth pinion gear. The ring gear is identical on both. The stock tire on a Trooper is 27" dia. If you run the Renegade gearing with 31" tires, it would still be a bit higher gearing then stock and equal to a 29" tire on stock gearing. It helps a lot when you run bigger tires.

You can get bearings at a bearing supply company along with seals. Your case damage doesn't look like a problem. Mostly caused from gear parts scraping around inside. I'm not making the upgrade kits anymore but there are things you want to be aware of and I would check any diff, new or not to see if these things have been addressed. Send me your E-mail address and I'll send your a copy of the diff upgrade instructions I provided which covers all issues in detail with pictures that you need to be concerned about.

Lenny

Plumber I'm interested! But don't have the cash right now...

Lenny thanks for the tooth count on gearings..

I figured out the gear ratio.. trooper ratio at 32/15 would make 2.133

Renegade 32/14 make 2.285

Very little change but every bit helps since I'm running 29.5 tires with 3" deep treads...

Lenny you said you stopped making the Kits... well i feel so lucky since i still have them unused that was my mistake! Waiting to do upgrade for the diffs!

post-1099-137108697111_thumb.jpg

Guest Lenny

Bruhaw runs the Renegade gearing too. He has a T4 with big tires. He was having a problem with the big tires bogging him down, not being able to get the engine to rev good. He switched to Renegade gearing and problem solved. It was just enough to allow the engine to reach its good power range. Rocmoc never did get the gearing put in his T2. He sold them first but kept the gearing which he sold to Bruhaw.

Lenny

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/8l9j5tpzmwbpedg/zUH8B-pE1V ---that set screw that shows in this photo need to be loctited or double set screwed to lock it in place, I had mine back out and the shaft cam out and did major damage, ruined the diff housing.

The shield on the bearing in https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1afivknnz3lz6th/0qbEdXRgq- should be removed so the oil can get in and do it job.

I agree with Lenny, the housing isn't damaged enough to worry about, nor is the plate with the bearing that needs to have the shields removed, Ring and pinion, no question,

All the bolts in https://www.dropbox.com/sc/985lnj8u4q5m4hk/cgDImnQ2Gm need to be replace with grade 12.9 bolts, You can order Allen head bolts from McMaster-Carr,

( I think that's the right size) and then grind the head down by putting the bolt in a drill and spinning the head against a grinder, I used the longer bolts so I end up with shank instead of threads going between the unthreaded parts of the bell pieces into the ring threads, Lenny says put a nut on the back, I don't.

Good luck, hope we can help,

Kinarfi

• Like 1

Guest Lenny

Kinarfi, I think you posted the wrong picture. I assume your referring to the ring gear bolts. Yes, they had a 10mm head. The nut just adds one more step of security of not coming loose.

The bolt head i have is 13mm but i believe the threads are still 8m x 1.25...

The bolts aren't in great shape haha..where the bolts contact the rear end carrier... the threads are messed up. I have a feeling that those 8.8 grade bolts are not up to the task and will shear soon. I have bolts from Lenny kit that I'm planning on using along with renegade diffs.

Guest Lenny

So you bought the Renegade diffs from PLumber. That was a good buy and you'll love the gearing. Don't even think about running them until you upgrade them. The bolts in my kit are metric grade 12.9. Grade 8.8 is like our grade 5 and 12.9 like our grade 8.

So you bought the Renegade diffs from PLumber. That was a good buy and you'll love the gearing. Don't even think about running them until you upgrade them. The bolts in my kit are metric grade 12.9. Grade 8.8 is like our grade 5 and 12.9 like our grade 8.

Yes, after looking around the price was right and its what i needed after all.. (mcmoy motorsports in KY wanted 1200 for just rear yikes!!!) you can bet on that Lenny... i plan on washing out the diff fluid then install your Kits in front and rear as soon as i get my hands on the diffs.

I'm considering amsoil or Royal purple diff fluid...anyone have comments or suggestions about those oils or other?

• 3 months later...

Just bought an 09 T2 with 1100 miles. Rear diff full of shavings. Found loose ring gear bolts, couple broken keepers, and 50% of the shim on the back side of the ring gear. Been reading on here about the upgrades. Does someone have the specs on the shims. Diff ate the shim on the back side of the ring gear. Also need housing bushing where pinion gear mounts. Would be interested in Renegade pinions to put in trooper housing, (I guess by reading these posts they interchange, if not please correct me.) Also would like seals and O-rings. Any literature would be great. Going to go pick up 12.9 nuts and bolts tomorrow.

All gears and bearings looked good, no beat up bolt heads, housing looked good. I really believe I got lucky as hell and caught it early.

Lenny- I did message you before I saw you were not making the upgrade kits anymore. If you would please still contact me that would be great.

Thanks in advance everyone. Any parts I could buy from you all I would greatly appreciate it.

Clankford...

I did mine few months ago and the end play specs i set mine was for... side gears inside carrier i set to 5 thousandths, all other gearing backlash set at 15 thousandths that was the best my diff can do without binding at 5 thousandths on one gear and 0 on other gear.

But it's much improved and bushing I'm not sure where to get that... 12.9 grade bolts is correct. The shims is just very thin metal washers that's 5/10/15/20 thousandths thin.. if you can get someone to make it you need to get them made and the shims either push on bearings or gear to make tolerance tighter. If you need directions i still have that i could make you an copy and send it to you

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Nocturnalsixer,

Could you please email me directions? [email protected] Any literature would be great!

No one here in Mississippi has ever even heard of a trooper, but they are eager to see it and help with parts. Guy at FASTENAL said he should be able to order everything I am needing (this time haha). I am taking the diff by there tomorrow.

The bolts that I am getting (12.9's) are they the ring gear bolts (12) and I think I've seen Lenny talk about loctiting and putting nuts on the back side? is that correct?

Does anyone know if the pinion gears for the renegade are interchangeable in the trooper housings? Are the front diffs in the troopers the same as the rears?

Sorry for all the questions, I've been reading so much about these my head is spinning.

Nocturnalsixer,

Could you please email me directions? [email protected] Any literature would be great!

No one here in Mississippi has ever even heard of a trooper, but they are eager to see it and help with parts. Guy at FASTENAL said he should be able to order everything I am needing (this time haha). I am taking the diff by there tomorrow.

The bolts that I am getting (12.9's) are they the ring gear bolts (12) and I think I've seen Lenny talk about loctiting and putting nuts on the back side? is that correct?

Does anyone know if the pinion gears for the renegade are interchangeable in the trooper housings? Are the front diffs in the troopers the same as the rears?

Sorry for all the questions, I've been reading so much about these my head is spinning.

Don't worry about asking too much.. i could say you are helping keeping the forums alive Lol.

Yes pinion gears and ring gears and cases are exact same for trooper and renegade... but pinon from trooper have 15 tooth.. renegade is 14 tooth so you get deeper gear ratio with renegade pinon over trooper.. less top speed more torque... ring gear and carriers between those two are exact same BUT.....i warn and advise you to look at the side gear splines where it stick out case on sides that mates to the CV axles... that part could be different since i bought front and rear renegade differentials...rear was exact same except for the pinon tooth count.... front was exact same except for pinion tooth count and ALSO the splines that stick out sides of the case are smaller diameter as it neck down at spline area. while trooper one is fatter/thicker diameter.

Yes 12.9 bolts are for ring gear to carrier. Lenny said to use nut on other side on carrier side i did that... it was hard to undo it all if you didn't made sure that it spins nice and freely after shimming it. Also for the literature I'll email those out to you when i get home and scan them.

We know what you mean by almost no one heard of trooper and really drop their jaws to the ground.

Now there's wildcat and maverick the newest next hottest thing now i believe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

http://www.mcmaster.com/#96144a227/=ovaziv

These are the bolt that I recommend, they are too long, but they have shank in the mating areas between the mating surfaces of the 3 parts of the ring gear assembly instead of thread. The original had a 10mm head on an 8mm bolt for clearance of the bearing plate and the threads are fine threads, these allen head bolts will still need some machining for clearance. The way I did it was to put the threaded part in a drill and spin it against a grinder. Also, sand the surfaces from center to outside leaving scratch marks and then clean the mating surfaces with soap and water, Lenny's suggestion, loctite (red or better) and bolt together.

Kinarfi

Lenny,

I appreciate the reply, I did go ahead and order a rear diff from Joyner-USA. He said he was on a 90 wait on parts, probably B.S., but, I figured why not have a spare ready to go. I have a local machine shop gonna cut me the parts. J.D. at Joyner-USA said the new ones are much tighter than the ones that came stock in my 2009. The bolts are not nutted on the backs, but loctited and lock wired instead. what are your thought on the lock wire?

I really appreciate you sending me the directions, my email is below.

[email protected]