Quantcast

Does 4010 have limited slip front?

When I bought my brand new 2011 Mule this past weekend, the dealer told me that the differential lock locks both differentiias. I found this to be untrue when I got stuck in the creek bed behind my farm Tuesday, couldn't pull it out with my 4WD tractor, and had to hand winch it out with a Portapower. Is the front diff limited slip?

I have an 05 3010 the front diff is limited slip. Here's how you can be sure. On dry, solid ground, shift into four wheel drive. When you turn the steering wheel all the way over, like you're making a u turn. If the turn is smooth, it's limited slip. In a vehicle that has a full locker, doing a u turn on solid ground will cause the vehicle to buck and jump. This is because the outside wheel makes more revolutions than the inside wheel. And the wheels will skip, as they struggle against each others traction.

Making a u turn on concrete, with a locker engaged can damage the vehicle, so I'd recommend grass. But I'd be surprised if it has a factory front locker. To my knowledge, none of the major manufacturers have this very useful feature.The back wheels though should have some sort of differential lock somewhere in the cab.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say, it doesn't fit with my understanding of what limited slip is. I know that my 05 mule has limited slip, and pulls decent in the mud. I can't see any advantages to having a four wheel drive that only pulls with one wheel in the front.

Personally, I'd talk to a different dealer, and put the matter to rest once and for all.

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.