Quantcast

hisun strike 250

strike250

Hey there, new member here, just looking for information and tips. I just purchased a Hisun strike 250 for my young son. We have taken it to elsinore mx park here in so cal and he had a blast. I know I am going to get a lot of feedback regarding this, but I have to tell you, for the money, and his age, I can't complain. It always starts, is a blast to ride, and yes, I can fit in it at 6.1 and 195lbs. Have we had any issues? sure, but about the same about as any other vehicle, so I can't really complain. We couldnt find any aftermarket parts for it, so we engineered our own 2 inch lift kit for it, and it worked great. We have mounted additional lights on it as well. Some of the things we did notice are that the shift linkage seemed to be rubbing the exhaust pipe, and so I modified the shift linkage, and now that problem is gone. I also noticed that the factory plastic is very brittle, meaning it will crack if not handled properly. The quality of the OEM nuts and bolts are very poor, they seem to strip out very easy. So, we are replacing what ever bolt we remove, with a higher quality version. The battery is not easy to access, and in a pinch, that could be a problem, as tools are required to get to the battery. If you were to need a jump out in the boonies, you might be stuck. Also, the factory 4 point harness is hard to adjust, so we might have to replace them with aftermarket versions. Aside from that, he has not really had any problems with it. Granted it is not a larger 500 or 900cc UTV, so the load and demands on it are less. I do wish it had more power, but since he's only 9, I am good for now lol. It never quit on us, ran great in 106 degree heat, and handled the muddy track with ease. Another plus, it fits in the back of my truck bed with the tailgate up lol. Just my 2 cents.

post-3674-0-32328500-1466482474_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

HOW DO YOU FEEL NOW ITS AUGUST I BOUGHT HISUN STRIKE 250 AND HAVE PUT 241 MILES ON IT AND WISH I HAD DONE SOMETHING ELSE. THE WARRANTY IS A JOKE SPROCKET ON THE DRIVE CHAIN CAME OFF AND THEY LOCTITE IT BACK ON. I DROVE ANOTHER 13 MILES AND SAME PROBLEM, NOW THEY ACT LIKE ITS THE DEALER CART STILL UNDER WARRANTY FOR ANOTHER 3 MONTHS. WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO DO THE REPAIR MYSELF SO IT WILL LAST.

One of the problems I have found on the Hisun is that the threads are very loose. I mean that even when the bolt and nut are correctly torqued, they can work themselves loose due to the poor tolerances on the threads. Some of the things I have done to overcome this is to replace any bolts that do come loose with a higher quality screw, nut, bolt etc. Using blue locktite should be more than enough to secure it, unless they didnt torque it properly. I took mine down to the frame and put it back together, I found a lot of loose nuts and bolts. I replaced most of them with higher quality stainless steel replacements. But overall, I am still happy with my purchase. I have yet to find a vehicle that didn't need some kind of tweaking here and there.

• 7 months later...

Here are some new pics of our test Hisun 250. with the 2" lift kit and our exhaust kit installed. Our Hisun hauls butt. It sounds great and seems to run just fine. I know there are haters out there, and that's fine. I have taken this down to the frame and down to every nut and bolt to research everything about this unit. I know all the good and bad things about this unit, probably more so than most dealers as I have done so much R&D on it. I have had the engine out of it a few times, and have gotten it down to just a couple of hours now. I know all of the parts that are compatible with Japanese UTV/ATV units. I have replaced many parts with more reliable parts, but I have to tell you, for a chinese UTV, this thing has not really let us down. We have tested it in many of the off road parks here in Southern California including Pismo Beach, Dumont Dunes, Glamis and more. I understand the suspension fundamentals as well as the limitations. I have done extensive research on the rear suspension to look at independent rear IRS compared to the OEM solid rear axle.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. With the right parts installed, this unit has a lot of potential to unleash. I have ridden this unit with myself, weighing in at 200 lbs, and another adult at the same weight and it just doesn't die.

We will be selling the lift kit and exhaust system soon, as soon as we get our website up and running and place things in the correct place on this forum.

Matt

IMG_20170401_164803626.jpg

IMG_20170401_164812760.jpg

IMG_20170401_164824968_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170401_164831391_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170401_164845027_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170401_164855320.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hello there, just a note to those owning these fun machines. Remember to remove and lube the front A arm bushings. They are plastic from the factory and are pretty dry if any lube at all. To make them last, I would take them out and lube them up well to make them last and work well. I am trying to source some aftermarket bushings, and think I have found a source, but working out the details, so in the mean time, R&R those plastic things sooner than later, or you'll regret it.

Another spot to check out is the OEM chain, it is not the best quality. I understand during manufacturing you make thousands of these things. To meet certain price points you have to use a quality that meets your requirements, but is not always the best due to price. I would recommend replacing it with a nice O ring chain. A good quality chain will make your sprockets last longer as well.

• Thanks 1

Hello there again,

Just some more advice to those owning these fun machines. We rolled our unit during testing out at Dumont dunes, no one was hurt and the unit was pretty much un damaged. But some things to watch out for that I have learned. One; after being upside down, check the oil level, some oil can leak out of the crankcase vent tube casing the oil level to become low. This in return can cause damage to the engine due to lack of proper lubrication. Second; Oil can leak back into the CV belt cover since they share the shame ventilation tube as the intake, and as oil can return into the intake after a roll over, it can in reality seep back into the CV belt case. this would cause the belt to become saturated with engine oil. We noticed our unit smoking some after being rolled over. Upon inspection, we found the CV belt to be wet with oil. As a result we needed to replace the belt early. Also it might cause your clutch pads to become wet with oil, thus causing the clutch not to work well. I found a lot of burnt off clutch material on the CV rear cover only after removing the entire clutch assembly. So, as a person who has already experienced this first hand, I am just saying to check things if you ever do roll it over, it will save you time and money later on. It is not easy changing the belt, trust me.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all.  I enjoy going into a forested area and going down narrow trails. Jumps, mudding or speed turning are just not my thing so I don't need an extremely powerful machine.  Because of space limitations of my cargo trailer and pickup, I'm considering So considering 3 machines: 1) Hisun Sector 250 2) Hisun Strike 250 and the Trailmaster Challenger 300x. 

Because the trails I will go down have ruts, rocks and some steepness, I will need some ground clearance.  The Sector has 8" clearance front and back whereas the Strike has only 5.8" clearance in the back.  The Trailmaster clearance is 6.3" front and back.  I am wondering what your thoughts are as to whether 5.8, 6.3 or even 8 inches is enough for the uses I intend.  Also, do you have any thoughts on how well these machines would do on a moderately steep hill?

Thanks for your thoughts

Hey there, good to see folks doing some research on things prior to making a purchase. As to the topic of ground clearance, I think you might be a little surprised to find that the sector and the strike use the same wheels, shocks and suspension, so for them to say the sector has 8" of ground clearance I would say is a little 'white lie'. They use a different chassis, but share the same part numbers on many other items, like suspension front and rear. As for the power, with the throttle stop removed, it will do upwards of 48 to 50 mph with me weighing in at 200 lbs in it. as for going uphill, depends on the angle of the hill, and the condition of the trail. They are great for fire roads, but from a standing stop up a rough steep hill, you might be a little disappointed. It just doesn't have the torque required to do that kind of work. They are great for play and easy roads and trails not so much for serious off-roading. Me and my wife have both been in the strike 250, but the seats are bucket seats and are form fitting style, the bench seat in the sector might be more comfortable for two adults with room to spare. The sector is easier to get in and out of compared to the strike as well. The strike doors can be a challenge at times to open. If it were just me and my wife, I would have gotten the sector over the strike, but my young son drive the strike like crazy, so he got to pick it out and we end up driving our jeep wrangler. I have not driven the Trailmaster challenger yet so I cannot comment on something I do not know. I can only comment on what I do know. But from what you are telling me in your post, I think you will like the sector over the strike. Same engine, suspension, just different seating position. I do know the Trailmaster and the Hisun UTVs both have solid rear axles, so I think the ride will be very close. The Trailmaster uses bucket seats as does the Hisun Strike, so take that under consideration compared to the Sector and see which you would like better, remember you are the one riding in it. I looked at it on some videos and it looks okay, but I just don't know from first hand knowledge.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Hey all...came up with a trailer hitch design for the Sector 250. Very strong and easy to install. I know there are weigh limitations for this unit and good judgement must be used. I wanted this feature for using on the farm for pulling things like a small 4-wheel wagon, sprayer tank, down tree branches, etc...and it works great for pulling the grandson on a sled in the snow...it's a blast.

My attachments include a tongue / hook combination. A a long, swivel, eye- bolt for pulling wagon ( the swivel is to keep the UTV from tipping in case the wagon does)... My property is pretty level but I like playing it safe.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I liked what you did to your Sector a lot. Our hitch design mounts to the frame, so that the trailer doesnt move with the suspension. They are in powder coating now and should be ready by next week. I liked your hitch big time. Great job. I also love your large tub. Impressive

• Like 1

Hi strike250.... Good to hear from you

I'd like to see  what your hitch looks like.....send some pics if you get a chance. Mine was just something thrown together from scrap pieces.....but works real good. Pulled the grandson around with it in the snow with no  problem....both snow boarding and sleds. I put a very thin rubber  door mat in the bed to keep the weight off the tail gate....its held in and down with two u-clamps up front. Not sure if you noticed , but I also removed the two side guards next to the seat.....easier to get in and out  of...and someplace to sit when taking a break...but I don't have  extreme hills and dangerous terrain...mostly smooth/ mowed trails and fence line.

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Gena S said:

I’m digging your threads. About to purchase this for my son and would like to keep you close (in case I need your assistance). Thank you for all of your helpful advice. 

Hello...we enjoy ours everyday.....we like the compact size, fun tool.

john

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The service schedule is in the owners manual, just like your personal car or truck, the manufacture knows best when to service your UTV. It is always recommended to follow the manual for service. That being said, I would normally check the UTV after the first few rides, as things come loose and need adjustment. Normally it is best to service it right before the riding season, and after the riding season is over. I would change the oil every six months or so. and check the bolts for tightness after a few weekends of riding. Otherwise that is pretty much it. I would recommend changing the cvt belt every 200 hours or so, as it can break and would make for a  bad weekend if it did while out and about away from home. If you have any questions, please feel free to check back.

Matt

• Like 1

• 3 months later...