Quantcast

Bpark

Can-am or polaris

Coming from a long time Honda foreman guy. I'm ready to step out into side x side world.. my eyes are on the defender and ranger!! General use- hunting and riding family on trails.. NO mud bogging.. What has the best engine life and least problems? I get it maintenance and anything will last but I've heard horror story of polaris.. any input would be appreciated!!! 

• Like 1

Tough question, I find that ATV.COM  has very good ATV/UTV reviews. You might look there too.

p.s. i'd go with Polaris

Welcome to the board!

Cam Am builds some very good quality machines where the Polaris models are of less quality but far more popular and ease of finding parts. CanAm parts can be hard to find in some areas. If you ever do a search for customer complaints/repairs per 100 machines produced by a manufacturer, Polaris is one of the highest in complaints and has a high maintenance record.  That being said most Polaris riders are riding their machines hard as well.  The CanAm machines fall in the middle somewhere with fewer overall complaints but more complaints about parts availiability. If you seriously considering a good utility machine then look at the Kymco line, NOT Chinese made, very high quality, parts readily availiable, excellent dealer service and is the lowest on customer complaints per 100 units made of any UTV/ATV manufacturer in the world.  Have had mine for more than two years, 800 plus miles, ridden as a work horse primarily but have seen some hard trail riding and deep mud...."O" issues. Well designed, top quality materials and welding on the frame. I do not need power steering even with diff lock on, I can steer with one finger.  Good luck in your search...

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• 2009 Joyner trooper starting problems

I have a no cranking issue with my joyner. It has a chery 1100. It will click but nothing after that.  New battery. I tried banging in the starter while holding key in start(old car trick). Now the  starter solenoid won't even clunk. Just hear s click fron the relay now.  My assumption is the starter needs replacing.  Any ideas of other things to check? Does anyone have diese block diagrams?  Got no clue what fuse or relay goes to what

By Whisper Snowbird, in Joyner UTV SxS Forum

• 12 replies
    • Wiring problems with 2014 Coleman Outfitters Utv(Hisun) 400 4x4

Hello all, I have what I hope is a quick question. I am working on this 2014 Hisun SxS and the wiring is a mess. I am currently just trying to find the electrical wiring Color Code for this machine. I have Maintenance Handbook for a wiring diagram for what it calls a 'HS400UTV-Emark'. That's the only thing my son got with this machine when he bought it and I can no list of the color codes anywhere in this book. We're not against buying manuals but have learned to be picky as there are many that supply little real detailed information. This is a machine that I am trying to get the 2004 Kodiak motor they installed wired up to run and install a complete new wiring harness for the Utv at the same time. Any help that someone might have to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and I hope you all had an enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday.

By res2fr, in Hisun UTV SxS Forum

• 3 replies
    • Most versatile UTV for general purpose

Hey There, I'm new to and as green as green can be to the UTV world and looking for recommendations on purchasing my first UTV. I've done a few searchs but thought it would be quicker to just ask for some help to start with.  I'm looking for something for what I'd call general purposes. Plowing snow off our paved driveway at home and then trailering it up to our cabin in the woods to plow the dirt road up there.  Do some tree maintenance on our properties, pick up and move down limbs etc... Other then that we'd like to take it out on the near by trails and have some fun with it. Nothing crazy, we're not looking to jump mountains or race or anything like that but we would like something we can ride around with and depend on.  Any recommendations?  What's out there and what should we be looking for? Brands, makes, models, options etc.....Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.     

By Eddy G, in UTV General Discussion

• 5 replies
    • Polaris Ranger 800 11-16 4x4 6x6 Crew Engine Motor Rebuilt

Polaris Ranger 800 11-16 4x4 6x6 Crew Engine Motor Rebuilt On Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Ranger-800-11-16-4x4-6x6-Crew-Engine-Motor-Rebuilt/361534749653?  

By johnpeter, in UTV Off-Road Classifieds - Buy & Sell

• 0 replies
    • Engine Swap Thread

Hey Everyone, I’ve created a few other threads and a bit disappointed at the limited responses the forums seem to get. So rather than asking about an engine swap i’d like to share some information with others here in an effort to generate some discussion! So i’ve done much research on engine swaps for my 800cc buggy, and my ideal swap would be a suzuki swift gti engine, however they seem to be rare and very expensive if you can ever locate one. The only ones i’ve seen are going for $3500+ which is completely rediculaous becuase the purpose of an engine swap should be to get an inexpensive engine that parts are available for, the suzuki swift is neither. So in my research, i’m specifically looking for a naturally aspirated lightweight aluminum engine that produces “acceptable” power. Far as I can tell such a thing rarely exists in the US, which is probably why the G13b engines are so redicualously overpriced. What I have found, and present to you is a  Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L It’s an all aluminium, lightweight 3 cylinder NA engine that’s producing 74HP and 74ft lbs torque. Not crazy power numbers I know, BUT for an NA 170lb readily available, AND cheap engine those are not bad in its stock form. Certainly those of you looking to get a little crazier than I can drop a turbo in and up those base numbers.  Far as I can tell in my research No one has done this engine swap to date, so I suppose I will have to go fist... I am not quite ready to take on a project of this magnitude but will likely make this my winter/spring project and hope to have it completed by early/late spring next year. I will of course document the install and process once it gets under way. In the meantime please feel free to use this thread to discuss other possible engine swap projects or ideas for such! I love me some buggy action and can’t wait to get this swap underway.

By KTMspeedFreak, in UTV General Discussion

• 0 replies