Quantcast

2018 Cub Cadet Challenger 750 shifting problems

I generally use my challenger for light duty misc. use, and for plowing. The one thing I dislike about this machine is the difficulty in shifting. I've had it the shop and they adjusted the shifting lever, but I still have issues. Some times it shifts ok, but the problem is it is hard to get it to move the lever from high to reverse or low to high or from any gear to the other. Seems I always have to accelerate a little to get it to engage to what gear I need it to go to. This is definitely not normal.

• Alex changed the title to 2018 Cub Cadet Challenger 750 shifting problems
  • 1 month later...

You probably have too much grease in the primary clutch housing that has the weights. I had the same issue with mine. Over a cup of grease in there! The roller weights in there need to move and won’t if cold due to a cup of 90 weight gear oil. Manual calls for slightly greased with 90 wt oil. I live where it is very cold in the winter. I used moly dry spray instead of grease.

• 11 months later...

YES!  The Cub Cadet Shifting is a poor design. I understand and sometimes forget that you must have your foot on the brke to shift, but, I is still a major pain, especially while plowing.  I hope they find a better way to shift or my next buggie won't be a CUB...

I have a 2020, when I first got it I WD40’d all the moving parts related to the shifter, even the plastic part that moves with the shift lever.

I've never had a problem since then and I’m thinking the dealers should do this before it’s delivered to a customer.

I Have a 2017 Challenger 550.  it is a piece of S*** it has 324 miles and 112 hours on it and is currently in the shop getting its 4th new clutch that is an average of about 28 hours per clutch.  this machine is not abused at all it is lightly used around the yard and was intended to plow my driveway but can't even use it for that since the clutch system does not allow you to back up any inclines without burning out the clutch and the shifting of this machine is pathetic,  I have been going back and forth with level 3 tech support and they seem to put the blame on me for user error everytime.  I was told today they i should never put the machine in a position where i would have to backup from a stop with any incline (LOL) you pay $15000 for this thing and you have to drive it on flat surfaces.  *********Buyers beware these things are junk**************

• 2 weeks later...

I have I have the same your Cub Cadet 2018 Challenger 750 and I have new shift to put in it and all the new shifter is giving me problems and I found out that if you brake lightly you can go from low high and neutral and if you can't get a past neutral into reverse or Park, brake a little harder and it should go all the way up reverse and Park. Hopefully that helps you out. I took my old one apart and there's only two little pieces in there besides the shifter and a spring into little levers at hit notches.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By EJR
      I have a 2012 Coleman (hisun) hs700. The cooling fan quit working. I replaced the water temp sensor/ radiator fan switch located towards the bottom of the radiator. That did not cure the problem. I also put 12v directly to the fan to make sure the fan was still good. I then took the harness off the new temp sensor and shorted it to turn on the fan and nothing. Is there something else in line I should look at? I also found the sensor at the motor and jumpered through it. Still did not work.
      Any suggestions? 
      Thanks
    • By Flanman55
      I have purchased a used Supermach700 (2008), It runs great after a new choke cable but. The temp sensor on the thermostat house is unhooked and can not find where it plugs back in. The fan has been un hooked from the sensor in the rad and cant figure out how it goes back together properly.  The fan was wired to a by pass switch and i just always leave it on but would like to work it properly. I assume the sensor went bad and not changed.

any help would be great.

thanks
    • By Challenger Garbage
      How many people have burnt clutches in these things?  Mine is a 2017 112hrs 324 miles lightly used around the yard in the shop getting its 4th clutch.  What a joke.
    • By David Schwalm
      I have a 2017 challenger 550 that will not go into 4 wheel drive. I’ve checked fuses, all are good, when I turn the key to on, and press the 4x4 button I can hear the actuator running , the front tires in the dash indicator light up as though it is engaged, but no 4 wheel drive. When I activate the front diff lock I can also hear the actuator but it does not show the x in the front axle on the dash. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
    • By Troy
      I purchased my 2018 Cub Cadet 750 Challenger new in July 2019 and it will not go into 4 wheel drive.  Has this ever happened to anyone or do you have any idea as to what could be wrong?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Flyrider
      Just purchased a 2017, 750 challenger with 148 hours with one hour on new 2019 engine from Cub Cadet that per invoice cost $4704.28 + tax.  That’s almost half of what the whole UTV cost new in 2017.  Unbelievable!  I have serviced everything as per manual and done the things posts on forum said to do to reduce noise. Has old exhaust and per this forum will probably break soon. Just ordered a new rear window to cut down on dust and air.  Plan on taking to cabin we have near Custer SD in Black Hills with US Forestry roads all around us. Should be fun if reasonably reliable.
    • By McMURDY
      Just joined this forum. I am a new owner of a used 2016 Cub Cadet Challenger 750 Crew. I bought it from a friend's wife after my friend suddenly passed away this Summer. We hadn't run it much since when he passed in July and I used it to do some light plowing on my driveway last month and a handful of times during hunting season. Then, we got blasted with bitter cold and 2 feet of snow last week and it wouldn't start. I assumed the battery was low (from JUN 2018) and put another lawn and garden battery on I had which was relatively new and unused. It runs a plow and a front and rear LED light too. It started right up with the new battery, but when my wife plowed with it for 10-15 minutes, it ran dead. It has 250 CCA (the previous one had 350 CCA). Not knowing any better, I jumped it with my car running and let that charge it for 1/2 hour but got the same thing....a few swipes with the plow and it was dead again. I left it on the charger overnight, hoping that will give it a full charge and that will take care of the problem but I don't want to find out it doesn't work when another storm comes. Should I get a new battery? What do you guys recommend that will run the motor, the plow and the extra lights and do you charge it often during cold weather? Wish my friend was around to ask him what he did but he's gone and I'm new at this.  Thanks!
    • By dalerio007
      i have a 2017 cub cadet challenger 750 camo, after a month of nonstop work with the pandemic i was finally getting a chance to ride it. it would not start, the battery was dead, went to charge the battery and noticed a mouse had chewed a yellow wire one of2 going to a block of some kind in battery box, it is tied into the 2 fuse relay breakers  attached to the starter relay. there is a red with stripe wire that goes to a harness below the rectifier in engine compartment, it has no power to it with multimeter and the fuse block is getting real hot. other than that the dash lights up, but no readout and the gauges dont cycle, the fuel pump does not start. on the fuel pump i checked the red wires to the cdi and both have contact and are intact but one does  not have power when the key is on and there is no spark  i tried starting fluid. i have swapped out the cdi from my cousins  same year and model, also the ecu and the main relay. i have no idea where to look now. his has broke the shim again and will not start. also i did notice that i wiggled a wire connector going to a sensor on the engine and a couple lights came on on the dash, the stirring wheel one and check engine but only did it once and i cant get it to do it again. i have looked over the harness for anymore damage and have found none.
      has anyone seen this problem before, is it wiring? ground? what do i need to check next. the place i bought it has no service the guy said he could only swap parts and try. sent me to another place over an hour from me  and that guy on the phone said he was covered up and didnt know when he could look at it so he must be busy lol. besides i dont want to have them charge me $3000 to replace everything on it before they get going.
      my advice is do not buy a cub cadet, we thought we were getting a cub cadet and it turns out it is a cheap chinese pos. i still love my cub but wish i had known this before i bought it and i would not have.
      any help would be appreciated thanks
    • By Jeff Grizzel
      Have a code flashing E 505 with engine light on
    • By Overlander
      After turning 2 batteries to water over last winter, I found that my digital dash display is staying on with the key removed. I was originally thinking the issue originated from the ignition cylinder but I'm now thinking its the ECU controller box under the hood. One of the unserviceable relays is making a weird sound when I remove the key. I have both batteries up to full charge and discovered the display issue last week when I saw the lights on in the dark.. Do any of you have any input on this issue? Ignition or controller.. Any help before just ordering parts would be helpful  The controller is $140  not sure on the ignition.. Thanks in advance..