Quantcast

Gary T

2018 Cub Cadet Challenger 750 shifting problems

I generally use my challenger for light duty misc. use, and for plowing. The one thing I dislike about this machine is the difficulty in shifting. I've had it the shop and they adjusted the shifting lever, but I still have issues. Some times it shifts ok, but the problem is it is hard to get it to move the lever from high to reverse or low to high or from any gear to the other. Seems I always have to accelerate a little to get it to engage to what gear I need it to go to. This is definitely not normal.

You probably have too much grease in the primary clutch housing that has the weights. I had the same issue with mine. Over a cup of grease in there! The roller weights in there need to move and won’t if cold due to a cup of 90 weight gear oil. Manual calls for slightly greased with 90 wt oil. I live where it is very cold in the winter. I used moly dry spray instead of grease.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Mikey1971
      Hi all.  I just found this forum and am so happy to find a source of information about the CC side by sides as the information on the web can be limited.  Our 2018 has squeaks while moving slowly.  Seems to come mainly from the front wheel area, but it intermittent and is very annoying.  Any thoughts or experience someone can share?
      Also, like everyone else with the roof, doors, front and rear windows and occasional the top half of the doors, it can get pretty loud inside while riding.  I read someone mentioned using a yoga mat under the seat (gonna do that this weekend).  Other modifications being done to reduce noise levels in the cab?  Thought about sound deadening material (seen that mentioned here as well and know that friend's Mule has insulation under seat and on the outside of the front panel of the seat.
      Thanks!
    • By PierceIt
      Hi everyone - I was driving my 2017 Cub Cadet Challenger 750 EPS today on the ranch when it dies on me. It started right up - and then as i was driving after about 50 feet the engine just turned off. It was running perfect before it cut out on me. No alarms, no weird sounds or smells. It just turned off. 
      When I turn the ignition key, the starter cranks away and the battery and starter turns fast and strong - but the engine doesn't start.
      I've confirmed gas flow to the carb - that the fuel filters are clean and clear. I've replaced the spark plug with a brand new one. I checked every fuse with a meter. I have confirmed air filters and airflow are good. 
      But the darn thing cranks away without the engine even making a sputter or even attempting to fire.
      Is there a kill switch somewhere that could have been tripped? I checked the seatbelt sensor, the brake sensor, and parking gear sensor - all are working and i'm in Park, pressing down on the brake, and have the seatbelt latched when i try to start. but - nada!
      It acts like it isn't getting a spark. but like i said i put in a new spark plug. I have a feeling there is a sensor or an electrical kill switch somewhere that tripped. 
      open to any ideas.
      thanks all
      Pierce
    • By MassBuck400
      I purchased this Buck 400 last year and having a few issues. Maybe some members have had these and fixed them.
      Here are my current issues with the B400. 1. Starting has become a challenge. Not the actual starting of the engine but to keep it running. When I turn the key, it starts up but as soon as I let go of the key and it turns back, the 400 dies. I have learned if I hold the key for a few seconds it will remain running.  Not a clue as to what would cause this or how to fix it? 2. This thing  is very hard to get in gear now. It grinds a lot before it goes in gear. Maybe the clutch needs adjusting? 3. I jerks a lot on take off. This could also be the clutch?   Any help would be appreciated.   
    • By EJR
      I have a 2012 Coleman (hisun) hs700. The cooling fan quit working. I replaced the water temp sensor/ radiator fan switch located towards the bottom of the radiator. That did not cure the problem. I also put 12v directly to the fan to make sure the fan was still good. I then took the harness off the new temp sensor and shorted it to turn on the fan and nothing. Is there something else in line I should look at? I also found the sensor at the motor and jumpered through it. Still did not work.
      Any suggestions? 
      Thanks
    • By Brad G
      Timing chain broke. Replaced the timing chain, oil pump chain, cam & rings. Ran great for 2 hours. Brought it home, started & drove to the shop. Next day started & drove around the property and it started running rough, wouldn’t idle just died, restarted & took it to the shop. Next day wouldn’t even start just crank over. Drained all the fuel & replaced with new, bought a new plug & ecu! Fired right up and let it run for an hour & burped the coolant as I had double checked the timing & valves prior. Next day started it and it was running a bit rough but smoothed out & ran for another hour. Next day it just cranks & won’t start! I’m at my wits end with this machine and would appreciate any help or suggestions on what might be the issue. Thanks in advance! 

Brad
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By dalerio007
      i have a 2017 cub cadet challenger 750 camo, after a month of nonstop work with the pandemic i was finally getting a chance to ride it. it would not start, the battery was dead, went to charge the battery and noticed a mouse had chewed a yellow wire one of2 going to a block of some kind in battery box, it is tied into the 2 fuse relay breakers  attached to the starter relay. there is a red with stripe wire that goes to a harness below the rectifier in engine compartment, it has no power to it with multimeter and the fuse block is getting real hot. other than that the dash lights up, but no readout and the gauges dont cycle, the fuel pump does not start. on the fuel pump i checked the red wires to the cdi and both have contact and are intact but one does  not have power when the key is on and there is no spark  i tried starting fluid. i have swapped out the cdi from my cousins  same year and model, also the ecu and the main relay. i have no idea where to look now. his has broke the shim again and will not start. also i did notice that i wiggled a wire connector going to a sensor on the engine and a couple lights came on on the dash, the stirring wheel one and check engine but only did it once and i cant get it to do it again. i have looked over the harness for anymore damage and have found none.
      has anyone seen this problem before, is it wiring? ground? what do i need to check next. the place i bought it has no service the guy said he could only swap parts and try. sent me to another place over an hour from me  and that guy on the phone said he was covered up and didnt know when he could look at it so he must be busy lol. besides i dont want to have them charge me $3000 to replace everything on it before they get going.
      my advice is do not buy a cub cadet, we thought we were getting a cub cadet and it turns out it is a cheap chinese pos. i still love my cub but wish i had known this before i bought it and i would not have.
      any help would be appreciated thanks
    • By Jeff Grizzel
      Have a code flashing E 505 with engine light on
    • By Overlander
      After turning 2 batteries to water over last winter, I found that my digital dash display is staying on with the key removed. I was originally thinking the issue originated from the ignition cylinder but I'm now thinking its the ECU controller box under the hood. One of the unserviceable relays is making a weird sound when I remove the key. I have both batteries up to full charge and discovered the display issue last week when I saw the lights on in the dark.. Do any of you have any input on this issue? Ignition or controller.. Any help before just ordering parts would be helpful  The controller is $140  not sure on the ignition.. Thanks in advance..
    • By NewCadetOwner
      Hello everyone.  I purchased a 2017 Challenger 750 eps Crew with 400 miles and find the exhaust noise is awful.  I saw in another post chatter about a 2019 exhaust upgrade?  Anyone have info on this?  I also would like to know the typical RPMs for speed.  I am running 4k at 20mph in hi range and it seems like it does not have the power I expected.  
      So far I have added a custom mount rear winch, soft rear window and upgraded LED headligjt bulbs.  I am looking for any other upgrades people have done.

• By Chris Howland
      Hi all, Im looking for the valve clearance specs for a 2017 cub cadet challenger 750. Any help would be appreciated.