Quantcast

2005 Polaris Ranger No Reverse

Mac

You'll have to follow that linkage,  physically follow it. Check the lever under the dash n stuff for obstruction, but mostly wherever it ends up.  To see that its clear, and operating properly.  Sometimes branches, and stuff can foul the linkage. Cables can break, or jam. But since yours is catching the forward gears, its probably not a broken cable. It could still be jammed. I'm always pulling branches out from underneath mine. But it all starts there. Where it goes into the transmission, or transfer case, or differential. Wherever it goes.  Make sure its operating the lever, or otherwise working properly. After that, it's mechanic territory. But you have to eliminate the simple stuff first. 

Finally found the issue when we got the gear casing out and opened up, it would seem the reverse chain had snapped, resulting in no reverse.   After much swearing and cursing , and waiting for parts, the new chain, we finally had success.   I notice that the grinding sound, which seem to be a problem with a lot of the polarises especially in reverse has now gone.

Changing the chain was interesting as there was nothing on YouTube that tells you how to put the new chain on.  I had to remove both the bearing and the dog engagement face also the gear-33T, 6 face engagement, once you do this the chain will basically slip on into place, you have to do this, otherwise the chain will not go on.   There are some good videos on you Tube that you should watch before attempting to do this.   One last thing, check that the gears are engaging and in the right place before putting the gear case back into the body. 

If I can answer questions regarding this please don't hesitate to drop me a line.

20200106_111750.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue on my 2008 Ranger.  I'm  new to trying to repair it myself.  So this is a really stupid question, is the reverse chain in the transmission housing? All the YouTube videos I watch everything is already broken down. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By johnpeter
      2021 Polaris Turbo RXR 1000 XP4 168 HP ProStar Turbo 925 On Ebay
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/294474801508?

• By Green Scout
      Hello everyone.
      Here I am showing our Green Scout electric all-terrain vehicle.
      All-terrain vehicle 6 wheeled, electric, side-turning. Rides, jumps, dances, swims, but does not fly. The drive is permanent (but you can turn off any wheel arbitrarily through the controller). The power of each wheel is 3 kW at its peak, the total power is 18 kW. Speed up to 60 km / h. Since the all-terrain vehicle is electric, it starts from a place quickly, drives silently (well, of course, the sound from tires and shock absorbers does not disappear).
      The idea of creating such an all-terrain vehicle came after the experience of operating the Argo all-terrain vehicle. The main disadvantages of the wheeled side-turning all-terrain vehicle are low ground clearance, lack of suspension. To get high ground clearance and suspension, there are two outputs on mini all-terrain vehicles - either electric drive or hydraulic. The hydraulics had to be excluded, since at temperatures below -30C it does not work, plus it always flows. As a result, we settled on an electric transmission. Each wheel is a motor-wheel. Naturally, the motor-wheels were being finalized to be able to be installed on an all-terrain vehicle and to be able to swim. The battery is iron-phosphate, all information on the battery, the charge is displayed on the smartphone. Control of the all-terrain vehicle through the on-board computer. Bicycle handlebar controls. Braking either with the sides through a turn of the steering wheel, or with the gas pedal of all wheels at once.
      Overview video of the all-terrain vehicle

• By Hisunsadman
      I have recently acquired a 2012 CFMOTO 500 CC side by side. The previous owner said that it ran great but had a gas leak by the throttle body that caught fire and ruined most of the parts on top. It also melted the cover and fan for the stator. Does anyone know of a good place to get all of these parts? I usually use Amazon for all my 2020 hisun parts, but can't really find the ones I need for this. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance
    • By Chuck Winburn
      I bought an axis 500 brand new, hauled it home and the light indicator for 4 wheel drive is not working.  Is there a something the store didnt tell me, or is it messed up right off the assembly line? Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    • eManualOnline
    • By Zero
      So i have a 2011 EFI 700. the SxS will crank right up everytime without any issues. If i let it run or ride it for about 10 mins it will shut off and then it may turn on if i am lucky but most time i have to let it sit for like 3 hours and then it will run again. i have done the following
      -New fuel filter
      -New injector
      -New spark plug
      -New coil pack and plug wire
      -New air filter

Also could i get a grizzly 660 engine and put in it or would it not work.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Mainesxs
      How do the intimidator gc1k compare to the Polaris ranger 1000 and can am defender hd10?
    • By Jeff Hewitt
      I have a 2020 polaris ranger 1000s I want to replace ujoints with greasable ujoints can anyone part# I can use to find one? Any info would be appreciated 
    • By Tim Hays
      Looking for a list of error codes for Polaris ranger 800 EFI 2013  use to have it stored got a new phone  lost it any help please
    • By Logan
      Ok so I have a Polaris ranger xp 08 I think . I started it up no problem( never had any ) drove it out of the garage about 15 feet and let it idle for about 5 mins . Then it started to sputter , gave it some gas and it stalled out. Tried to start it a couple times but wouldn’t go. I figured gas was low, put some in but same thing . So I got the ether and took the air filter off sprayed it in and it fired right up but would stall out instantly.  So I tried it again and gave it some gas but same thing . Next I just sprayed and jus got enough to gas it back into the garage . But then I saw flames coming out of the air intake . Was able to put it out quick ( 10 seconds) just by blowing on it . Before anyone says to much starting fluid I know a little goes a long way . I didn’t hold it down and jus spray , only a quick burst twice before stalling out . But where do I go from here ? Engine not getting enough gas ? But then why was I able to start/drive/ and idle at first ? Now I can’t even get it started . Let me know what you think.
    • By Susan Thompson
      Hi everyone, new to UTV life. My 2010 500 EFI has problem with re setting  maintained light and also hour meter. Have read manual and cannot find out how to re set after oil change.
  • Gallery Images