Quantcast

Massimo 500 Won’t crank with key

Massimo 500 will only crank when I jump solenoid with screwdriver cranks right up and runs great. But won’t start with key doesn’t do anything when I turn the key. Only thing it does is power everything as in dash and fuel pump then have to jump solenoid to crank up and drive. 

I was thinking that when I had a buddy turn over the key and my power probe hooked to my solenoid its taking power away... so I don’t know if the points are bad in the ignition switch or my solenoid is bad? I have a solenoid on order I’ll change that if that don’t fix it then I’ll order a ignition switch. 

No. I changed the ignition and solenoid with starter relay. Still nothing ended up going to auto parts store and buying a push button ran it straight to the solenoid so all I have to do is turn key on for fuel pump and all electrical stuff then push button and fires right up. Easy to do and now I don’t have a headache. Got tired of throwing money at it. 

It could be or it’s something in that stupid fuse box design where one of the relays are bad that you can’t replace you have to buy the whole box for $100 could be one of the  relays not allowing the ignition to work properly. So that’s why I just ended up putting the button on it. Still have to have the key to start so it will do for me. 

Thanks much! Mine is intermittent, but if I can't track down the issue, I just may install your fix.

Is the ignition switch only available through the dealership? If it's a poor design, I would prefer to go with an aftermarket switch. I don't know how to cross reference the switch, or I would go that route. 

• 1 year later...

I have the exact same problem with a 2018 Odes Dominator 1000 cc. I still haven't found the cause of the problem. I "fixed" it by running a wire from the solenoid "I" terminal (the small terminal that is NOT connected to the ignition switch) to the frame. It now always starts instantly without waiting for the pump to do its thing first. The problem is solved but I still want to know what's causing it, if someone knows.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes. It took a long time to get there. I tried to fix it by changing many parts that did not need to be changed: starter solenoid, battery, ignition switch, ignition button, starter.
I read somewhere that a bad ground could cause many such problems. I looked until I found the loose ground. It was staring at me the whole time near the center of the passenger side of the engine.