Quantcast

2020 Kawasaki Mule 700 Mx off road Capability

Please help, About to buy a new 2020 mule 700 MX. For driving back to my cottage which is only accessible by a 5 km off-road trail. My parents currently have a 2010 teyrx which does the job for a joke. The trail is fairly smooth -1 big rock Rock section that you have to climb. A big  rtv 1100 Kabota does it no problem as well. 

I am looking into the mule because of its bench seat. One of my dogs cannot run in front because they’ve had a hip replacement. she also has anxiety and is not fare well on the teyrx. We think mainly because she can’t get comfortable because of the centre consul. We were thinking because of the mules bench seat she would be able to sit comfortably between me and my wife.

my concern is the mules off-road capability. Do they fare pretty well in the woods/decently smooth ride?

I also plan to do yardwork and plough my driveway with this mule MX. I love the size of it as well, Because it will be easy to store in my shed plus tow behind in my SUV.

please let me know what it’s like in the woods/snow (in Nova Scotia we mainly only have 5inchs Of snow fall on the ground at a time)

please help, me with Determining its off-road capabilities. determining it’s off-road capabilities and keep In mind the trail is in good condition. Also my 700 Yamaha raptor, and 400ex use to do the trail amazing. To give an idea that the trail of pretty good.

I have a 3010 diesel I bought new in 2005. It goes through mud okay. But not great. I haven't been stuck,  but it wallows around a good bit.  Not floating up on top like I'd prefer.

Snow would probably be similar, but in Texas,  we don't really get much snow. Here's the thing. 4 wheeling is a trade off between weight, power, and traction. The heavier a machine is, the more traction, and power you'll need. My mule is heavy (comparatively speaking), and I think that with bigger, better gripping tires, it'd be much better. But there's clearance issues for the front. Even with my lift kit. 

But the way its built, going higher would be a major challenge. So it'll never be a mud buggy. But if weight would help in the snow, it might work out. 

But the OEM tires on the mule are made to be on/off road tires. And as such aren't really great for either. They're okay at best. So plan on new, purpose built tires, and be happy if the OEM tires work well without changing them.

Independent suspension, with lots of wheel travel is best for what you want. But mine was meant to be a beast of burden. Hauling heavy loads, pulling stumps, and a trailer sometimes. Independent suspension, with lots of wheel travel wouldn't work as well for my uses. 

So be honest with yourself, and know what the realistic end use will be. And buy the best you can afford. Buy once, cry once. I would've preferred the kubota.  But the aftermarket for the mule was much better. 20171210_125337.thumb.jpg.8b54f855d6c2c46be71c33da8d6d09ee.jpg

Here's mine. 

I plow snow with my Pro MX and it did very well although I didn't get to plow much over 6-8 inches at once.  I pulled a snowmobile uphill through 6 inches of snow and did slip some with 4x4 and differential lock on.  It is a nice ride on the trails but not as nice as the Pro FX models with the wider and longer wheel base.

• 4 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By REDfletching
      Spent today at a Honda dealership looking at their 520 side by side, then on the way home past our Lowes noticed they had several new UTVs on site, so we U-turned and ducked in there. We were impressed that all that came for $9,999 metal whole length skid plate, nice sized bed, roof, windshield, side mirrors, winch, upgrade looking tires… all of which would have added thousands of dollars to an already expensive Honda 520. Now Honda does have a great reputation from my trusted UTV experienced buddy, so it has that going for it.
    • By Ron from the Mitten
      I purchased a 2008 Qlink Rodeo 700 a few years ago.  I am from Michigan.  Anyone know of any local repair shops?  I had a dead battery, so I replaced that, started right up, ran the quad down the road, (this was last year), put it in the barn, shut it off.  then a couple weeks later, went to go start it again, and nothing.  I have power to the dash lights, horn, turn signals, wench etc, but nothing to the starter switch, and I hate electrical crap.  Battery still reads 12.x volts.

Any suggestions would be amazing.  I've owned it over 2 years, and haven't run 1 tank of gas through it.  No time to screw with it, and very frustrated.  Hoping someone can offer some advice of value.
    • By buckrub
      Hey guys! Newbie here. I'm an old man who's better with plowing a mule (4-legged kind) than these newfangled beasts. I, and a friend of mine, just bought new Coleman sxs and are having to finish the assembly. I've been reading on this site and I'm falling on the mercy of you experts. The only way I'm an expert is that an "ex" is a has been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure. LOL First off, the 2 buggies have no ignition switches. They seem to mount on the dash, not the opening in the steering wheel shaft cover, so we ordered new ones that are supposed to fit. They are 8 inches long, and have a 4-wired white plugin which is slightly rectangled when looking at the end of the plug. The trouble is there's nothing to plug into. There is a three-wire grey plug close enough to reach the four-wire plug, but of course, they are not compatible. 
      Secondly, the blinker, light, ect. unit on steering wheel just spins around when touched. I see no way in heaven or earth to secure it. I've looked at a diagram on the Powersports site, but can't detect how it mounted. Fellows I'd be so grateful for any help with this. Me and my mule will even plow your garden for free, for your help. LOL 

• By Chucky 1
      I purchased a new 2023 Landmaster UTV L4 in October of 2023.  UTV didn't seem to have as much power of the demo L4 that I drove but figured once it broke in it would be better.  After about a week the unit started bogging down backfiring and stopping.  Gas fumes really bad, wait a few minutes and it would start up again.  Brought it back to the dealer and after keeping it for a few weeks said he couldn't find anything wrong with it.  Got it back home and it started acting up again, brought it back to dealer a week later and he said he found couple things that might cause it to do run bad and he was able to replicate the issue but didn't really know what was wrong.  Got it back home again after being at dealer for several weeks and the unit started running bad again right away.  Brought it back to dealer and he went back and forth with Kohler about possible fixes but just checked somethings and try to swap a few parts but still runs bad.  I called Landmaster HQ to speak with someone about a refund and was told that was handled at the dealer level.  Dealer called Landmaster and they told him they didn't do refunds or exchanges especially with units that had problems.  The dealer is now trying to get a new engine to but I have not heard anything as of yet.  I did file complaint with Better Business Bureau and they accepted my claim and reached out to Landmaster.  The National Service Manager called me and said the he had been contacted by the BBB about the complaint and he would look into it.  I told him that I would just like to have my down payment of $2,000.00 returned and never mind the over $1,000.00 I have paid in notes for a UTV that I cannot even ride on without hoping it gets me around the neighborhood.  I have found out that the 2024 Landmaster UTVs will have Vanguard engines due to issues with the Kohler engines.  Very disappointed in what is "Proudly Made in the USA" and the way Landmaster has treated this disabled veteran! 
    • By Richard shepard
      I have a 2021 colman 400utv engine will start and idle, as soon as you hit throttle to move engine dies and will only start when you throttle it, let off throttle it dies, I replaced the injector and plug still the same, anyone have any other ideas