Quantcast

Which front strut do I have? Need to replace

paraord

Hey guys,

While installing the High lifter lift kit in my 2015 Mule 4010 I nicked the piston, strut rod, the shiney rod in the middle that I cant remember the name (no coffee yet this morning). I knew the nick was deep enough to eventually tear up the seal and she'd let loose. Well 3 months or so down the road here we are, its blown out. 

My question is how do I know which strut I have? I see 2 listed in the exploded 45023-1006 and the 45023-7503. The difference is the spring rate or K value. Seeing as I have high lifter springs does it matter the K value? And if that's the case can I use any of the 45023 prefix struts from various other models? 

Thanks all,

Andrew

Do you have the 2015, 4010 TRANS 4X4 or the 4010 4X4?

On kawasaki's website in the diagram it shows the strut, and then it shows a K30 spring as an ADD ON option.

spacer.png

45014 45014-0259 SHOCKABSORBER,RR 2    
45023 45023-0005 STRUT 2    
92075 92075-1784 DAMPER,SHOCKABSORBER 4    
92144 92144-1919 SPRING,STRUT,K=30.7N/MM 2   (OPTION)

Now if you have the plain 4010 4X4, the front suspension used a K 1.95 as the standard stock part, and the K30 as an option.
spacer.png

45014 45014-1435 SHOCKABSORBER,RR 2    
45023 45023-1006 STRUT,FR,K=3.13 2   (OPTION)
45023A 45023-7503 STRUT,FR,K=1.95 2    
92075 92075-1784 DAMPER,SHOCKABSORBER 4    
92144 92144-1919 SPRING,STRUT,K=30.7N/MM    

(OPTION)                                                              If none of this helps you out, i would contact Kawasaki with your Model number (KAF-______) and also your V.I.N number and see if they can figure it out.

Thanks Travis. I have the plain old 4010 4x4, not the trans model.  But the spring rate is negligible as I am going to put the High Lifter spring in its place right?  So as long as I have the right strut prefix it should be fine I think. Or at least hope.

Side note anyone doing this lift kit install here's a helpful note. When putting the strut back together in order to heep the threads coming up from the top so you can bolt it back together. Fully extend the strut and use a pair of vice grips with a mess of rubber gloves put on the jaws so it doesn't mar up the rod but keeps it from retracting. I'll post a picture as I am going to do this when I reinstall.  I clearly did the passenger side first before I figured out how to do this trick which resulted in the boogered up rod that chewed up the seal.

1 minute ago, Travis said:

So the high lifter spring will be replacing the stock shock/strut spring? in that case, i don't think there will be an issue.

Correct, strut spring will be put in the scrap pile and the High Lifter spring will replace it. Hydraulic dampener portion of the strut will be used.  I knew it was gonna go after I put the cut in it. Honestly Im surprised it lasted this long. 

• Like 1

It's possible that the reason for two different struts could be the trans mule, or it might be for a factory cab. Either way, the difference would likely be the spring rate. So if you're using aftermarket springs. There shouldn't be a problem. I used c-clamps, and a large pair of slip joint pliers to compress mine.

• 2 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.