Quantcast

Winch hook up

Travis

My uncle has a Warn winch he used to have On his gas Yamaha golf cart, he said I could have it if I wanted it, I'm just not quite sure how to hook it up, wiring wise.

I have no other electrical accessories that are tasking the alternator (15 amp)

And I can still buy the OEM winch mount or fabricate one myself.

The mule has 2 electrical accessories hook ups, but it's a fairly small wire, not sure if could handle the load..  I even though about welding up a plate as there is plenty of room to mount another battery for the winch only either under the bed or under the front dash/firewall. And using a deep cycle battery and keep it on a tender.

A winch would come in handy for moving larger limbs or stumps  or sections of a tree when I'm by myself.

Any info how to proceed is appreciated.

As most of you know, Mule 550, ksf300-c5.

On 9/4/2020 at 12:37 AM, Travis said:

My uncle has a Warn winch he used to have On his gas Yamaha golf cart, he said I could have it if I wanted it, I'm just not quite sure how to hook it up, wiring wise.

I have no other electrical accessories that are tasking the alternator (15 amp)

And I can still buy the OEM winch mount or fabricate one myself.

The mule has 2 electrical accessories hook ups, but it's a fairly small wire, not sure if could handle the load..  I even though about welding up a plate as there is plenty of room to mount another battery for the winch only either under the bed or under the front dash/firewall. And using a deep cycle battery and keep it on a tender.

A winch would come in handy for moving larger limbs or stumps  or sections of a tree when I'm by myself.

Any info how to proceed is appreciated.

As most of you know, Mule 550, ksf300-c5.

What size winch? Mine is a 3000 pound winch, and it uses small battery cable wire. Same size wire as the mule has. Can't remember the exact guage. 

• Thanks 1

I did some reading on Warns website and they said that a 3000 pound winch draws around 198 Amps  AT 3,000 pounds. I highly doubt i'll be pulling that much, i guess the accessory wires should be able to handle enough load amperage wise? According to the wiring diagram there is a 20 Amp fuse protecting the accessory wiring.

I don't know if i'm overthinking or what. Electricity isn't exactly my strong  point.

EDIT

After Youtube-ing some videos, i guess the best bet is do a set up similar to this straight from the battery, https://www.amazon.com/Winch-Upgrade-Contactor-Switch-Wires/dp/B076F9XTGY/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=UTV+winch+wire+kit&qid=1599529196&sr=8-13

The only task the battery has now is starting the mule. and other than that it's being charged by the stator. Probably just ought to be sure the mule is idling while i use the winch.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2020 at 6:17 PM, Travis said:

I did some reading on Warns website and they said that a 3000 pound winch draws around 198 Amps  AT 3,000 pounds. I highly doubt i'll be pulling that much, i guess the accessory wires should be able to handle enough load amperage wise? According to the wiring diagram there is a 20 Amp fuse protecting the accessory wiring.

I don't know if i'm overthinking or what. Electricity isn't exactly my strong  point.

EDIT

After Youtube-ing some videos, i guess the best bet is do a set up similar to this straight from the battery, https://www.amazon.com/Winch-Upgrade-Contactor-Switch-Wires/dp/B076F9XTGY/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=UTV+winch+wire+kit&qid=1599529196&sr=8-13

The only task the battery has now is starting the mule. and other than that it's being charged by the stator. Probably just ought to be sure the mule is idling while i use the winch.

Sorry buddy, I thought that I was clear about the wiring, and the draw. Looking back at my post, I see that isn't the case. 

Mine is a direct hookup, using battery cable sized wire. The engine absolutely must be running during the entire pull. It doesn't matter what kind ,or how strong, or how big of a battery. A winch at full load will empty a battery in a couple of minutes. Unless that engine is running. I've owned several vehicles that were equipped with a winch. So trust me on this. 

Tips to consider.  A snatch block is a necessity for several reasons. Sometimes two would be better. Winching is extremely hazardous when you use wire rope. That cable breaks, people can, and have died. Get that kevlar type stuff, you'll be much happier with it. Also for several reasons. If it breaks, you only have to buy a new one. A wireless remote is the most wonderful, perfect, winch accessory. But the batteries are always dead when you need it. 

So...what did you decide to do about installing that thing? I've always found that they're not as handy as you'd think they would be. But there's no getting around the fact, that sometimes they're the only way out. So I put one on everything that goes off-road. 

• Like 1