Quantcast

2020 Massimo Buck 400 Snow Plow

j.fulciniti

Hi Gang -  on Black Friday I purchased  the Massimo Universal 60" Snow Plow.  https://www.massimomotor.com/Massimo-UTV-ATV-Universal-Snow-Plow60.  It was on sale for 599 plus tax, free shipping.

Here's a YouTube video my buddy made of the install - 

Here's a few thoughts regarding my purchase and install.

THE GOOD

I ordered online on the Massimo website on Black Friday.  The plow arrived promptly the following Thursday via UPS ground. The box was neatly packed and all the parts were included.   The directions are sketchy so I did refer to the Massimo videos for help in assembling the plow.  One man job, took me about 1.5 hours to assemble.   If you are fairly handy, this was not too bad, even with the shoddy directions.

THE NOT SO GOOD

The directions suck.  They  were written by someone whose first language is NOT English.  (made in China).  The cover page described a "SONW PLOUGH".  MY buddy and I got a good laugh.  There was really no directions on how to install the frame plate to mount the "PLOUGH" to the frame of the UTV.  This set up did come with 2 Frame brackets.  One was for Massimo UTVs and the other was a universal mounting bracket.  Both had tons of screws, bolts, mounting hardware.  The universal had 4 different sizes of u bolts which really came in handy.

WHAT WE DID

My buddy has a lift in his garage so we jacked up the 400 to investigate how to install the bracket.  We removed the first 3 screws that held the plastic skid plate to the frame to reveal the frame.  At that time we realized the Massimo bracket was not going to work so we opted for the universal frame.  After taking a few measurements to insure the blade could be rotated without hitting the front wheels, we decided we would install the bracket just behind the 2nd screw that holds the skid plate in place.  We put the plastic skid plate back on with only the first 2 screws but did not use the 3rd one in order to keep the bracket flush.  Using the universal  brackets and some quick grip clamps, we staged the bracket and marked a hole to drill thru the skid plate to feed the u bolt down.  The 2020 Buck frame tube is square VS round so we used the longest u bolts  for a square frame.  Note - the kit came with 16 u bolts.  8 long bolts ( 4  rounded and 4 squared off) and 8 short bolts (4 and 4  as well)

Once we drilled the 4 holes , we slipped the u bolts around the frame with one side on the outside of the skid plate and the other on the inside where we drilled.  We connected the washers / nuts and  secured the plate to the frame.

We then lined up the  plow to connect to the frame mount using  quick release pins  to attach the plow arm to the frame plate.  Of course it was not a perfect fit so we had to beat the hell out of the plow arm connector to get it inside the frame plate connectors.   After that minor fiasco, we ground off the end of the u bolts that extended down from the frame.   It stuck down about 1.5 inches  and we did not want to risk them catching  on to any debris if we were off road in the future.  After that, we released the winch and hooked it to the O Ring Pin on the plow frame.   The winch lifted and lowered the plow with ease.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Massimo should do a little QC on their directions for this "SONW PLOUGH".   It appears to be a solid unit  and I look forward to using it in my driveway.   I am concerned that taking it on and off the frame mount with be a little difficult.  I forsee us manipulating the quick release mounts so they go on and off much easier.   We may need to grind them down a tad so they slip on and off without beating the hell out of it.  

Edited by j.fulciniti
added Youtube Video

• 1 month later...

I have a 800 5 seater and got a 60 inch plow. It came with no instructions but found some on line. Must be the same as yours cause it is a ploughing too.

Where did you find where to mount the plate to the underside? How for forward or back should it go and the instructions said to use a gasket but mine didn’t come with those. I noticed you didn’t use them either.

47 minutes ago, Curlly65 said:

I have a 800 5 seater and got a 60 inch plow. It came with no instructions but found some on line. Must be the same as yours cause it is a ploughing too.

Where did you find where to mount the plate to the underside? How for forward or back should it go and the instructions said to use a gasket but mine didn’t come with those. I noticed you didn’t use them either.

we sort of laid it out on the floor and took some measurements to make sure the blade could rotate without hitting the tires.  Then we made sure there was an area to connect the u bolts to then frame.

It took some trial and error before we drilled