Quantcast

collin.papke@gmail.com

Accessory and receiver mounted winch questions

As I have shopped around I have noticed the  sxs manufacturers leave out things I consider critical like a windshield and a roof counting on you buying extra stuff. 

Is there any advantage to buying accessories from the dealership when buying a new one? 

Is there any general quality difference between OEM and aftermarket accessories?

I also plan to buy a winch and am considering a Harbor Freight winch.  Thoughts?  Also, I've always thought the idea of a receiver mounted hitch makes lots of sense so you can use it on the front or back.  Has anyone seen this done?  Thoughts?

As far as accessories go,  i believe the only difference is price. check out Sidebysidestuff.com for a windshield or roof.

Those harbor freight badlands winches seem to do okay.  Depends on what your use is for the winch. Have you priced a Warn winch?

How you mount the winch, would probably depend mostly on what you expect to use it for. A receiver mount can be useful for being lightly stuck, and having an anchor point somewhat straight behind, or in front. A side pull from a receiver could be trouble. Especially if the buggy is buried. Receivers aren't made to take a side load, and aren't rated for that much weight anyway. Unfortunately I've found that optimum conditions rarely present themselves in a winching  situation. I always carry several tow straps, and lots of rope. Along with several shackles, and several snatch blocks. Although I rarely use any of it.

Power cables would be a pain, and expensive for the rear mount. I've found that winches in general are a pain. But occasionally it's the best tool for the job. Although I typically use a come along, and try to avoid deep muck. 

I will say this for certain. Get the kevlar rope, or similar. Cable is extremely dangerous under load. People have died after a steel winch cable snapped.  Cable will fray a bit, no matter how carefully you treat it. Leaving painful surprises along it's length, as you guide it back on the spool.

My vote would be for a front bumper mounted warn winch. With lots of accessories, and preferably a cordless remote, with a wired backup remote. 

FWIW, my buggy weighs around 1500pounds. My 4000 lb. Warn winch would almost certainly need at least one snatch block to pull it out of floor board deep mud. So go bigger than you think you need, if you'll be in serious back country. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Coppo
      I have a Tracker 800sx UTV.  Does anyone know where you can buy accessories besides BassPro or Corbelas?  Such as bumper's , windshields, mirrors, etc?  I have tried google with no luck. 
    • By UplandHunter
      I purchased a Massimo 550 T-Boss side by side a year ago and overall it works  alright. Recently, I pulled it on a utility trailer to a dog training site on the highway and the windshield broke in half while pulling it behind my F-250. Massimo states that they warn that driving over 55 mph could cause a problem. I understand that but it seems to me that any windshield that can't withstand wind speeds of 70 mph should not be installed on a modern ATV. Has anyone else had this problem?
      Utv photo.msg
    • By MountainBeast
      New Owner here. Working on adding some new lighting and want to use Factory Electrical connectors instead of cutting wires and risking failures later. I have a set  of whip antenna that include taillight functions and wanted to use the trailer plug at the back of the utv provide signal and power. Unfortunately, finding the factory plugs for trailer wiring is a bit difficult.
      Are there any sources available on here for ordering such parts? I know that there are a lot of plugs unused and capped with terminators so they are prepared for accessories just finding them is another story.

• By 2017 Massimo Warrior
      ABSOLUTELY THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!!!
      I purchased a Massimo Motors Warrior 700 UTV directly through the company. This unit was listed for sale on Ebay as a company demo with only 77 miles. Prior to bidding on the item, I messaged them through EBay and asked if there was "anything wrong with it and if everything worked properly". I was assured in writing that everything on the UTV was operational AND that it would be inspected before shipping. I also called the number that was in the EBay listing to verify that everything was operational and to make sure the item could be delivered to my land in Missouri. I made it VERY clear that I was not interested in bidding on the item if those two things were not acceptable. I was assured over the phone that everything was operational, that it would be inspected prior to shipping and that delivery to my land in Missouri was perfectly fine.
      It was not delivered to the address agreed to by their contact listed in the EBay listing. And when it was received, there were multiple items that were not operational. Items that were defective when it arrived include a headlight, a backup light, both horns, the horn wiring and the parking brake.  They refused to even supply me with replacements for all the defective parts. In response to the BBB, Dave said it was sold without a warrantee.  The listing very clearly stated 180 day warrantee for parts.
      In addition, the windshield that was clearly shown on many photos on the listing was not delivered with the UTV. That's correct...THEY STOLE THE WINDSHIELD before shipping the unit to me. The first representative from Massimo Motors told me multiple times that “the company will make things right for me”. He did supply me with a couple parts; which I installed myself. Later, he told me that he is no longer with the company. Dave, the new contact never offered any reasonable solution to any of the remaining issues.
      His solution to STEALING THE WINDSHIELD was for me to fabricate one myself.
      Unbelievable experience. See files attached.
      Hope this helps others from making a BIG MISTAKE.
      See photos attached for proof.
      If this help, please let my “buddy” at Massimo know why you aren’t buying one.  Here’s his info:
        [email protected]

• By Ron Puma
      Hi,
      I just purchased a used 2019 Massimo 400x Buck/golf version and wanted to know if anyone knows where to get an extended roof?