Quantcast

Lube Rack& pion steering

flatbed

Notice that my steering was getting stiff and hard to turn so i pulled the cover of the rack & pion (6 allen head screws and you have to loosen the small screws to get the boots out of the way). Once it was off i could see the rack was very dry and starting to gull the cover. Once the cover is off you can pull the rack up and out with it still hooked to the tie-rods, You will see the gear in the slot. I spread some grease on the gear and in the slot, also some grease on the rack. You can see i also put zert fitting on the cover so i can grease it without taking it apart . If you do not want to do this you need to aleast pull the boots back so you can get some grease on the rack. This is something everyone that has a trooper needs to do.

2149669010104282158kQHhWl_th.jpg 2734587900104282158jxUyTy_th.jpg 2672825280104282158kyHmpz_th.jpg 2185755440104282158mudMiZ_th.jpg

Notice that my steering was getting stiff and hard to turn so i pulled the cover of the rack & pion (6 allen head screws and you have to loosen the small screws to get the boots out of the way). Once it was off i could see the rack was very dry and starting to gull the cover. Once the cover is off you can pull the rack up and out with it still hooked to the tie-rods, You will see the gear in the slot. I spread some grease on the gear and in the slot, also some grease on the rack. You can see i also put zert fitting on the cover so i can grease it without taking it apart . If you do not want to do this you need to aleast pull the boots back so you can get some grease on the rack. This is something everyone that has a trooper needs to do.

Very good advice, I have had these freeze up in the winter from getting water inside.

I always keep them packed with grease.

Good advise. I have done mine a bit back. My steering rack was quite sloopy and caused not only extra slop in the steering but it clunked fairly loud when in rougher stuff. To fix the problem, I made up a new top plate. You can see what I did at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Joyner-Troo...sspagenameZWD1V

Forgive me, this isn't an advertisement but rather sharing ideas that hopefully help our machines. I feel a little stupid for not putting the greese fittig on it as flatbed sujested. I know better but I guess it's old age creeping in. I'll be adding the fitting shortly.

Lenny

Lenny, I thought of putting a teflon wear plate in, but i thought i would still have to grease it because of the gear. The rack is going to want to wear on the corners, top and bottom. Nice piece

flatbed, I'm not sure you would want teflon. It is slicker but I beleive on the softy side. UHMW polyethylene is probably a better choice as it ireal tuff and still quite slippery. The advantage of poly or teflon for that matter is that grit will embed into it rather than wear parts away. With the boots, you shouldn't be getting dirt contamination. On my machines, I always used greese with poly. I'm not sure it is really necessary but I like to think it's a little better when greesed unless it's exposed to contamination.

Lenny

• 3 months later...
Guest Lenny

When I took my steering rack off today to install an electric assisted one, I discovered that the stock rack does have a greese fitting on it from the factory. It's in the middle on the bottom side where we can't find it unless we stand on lour head. It would be nice if JoynerUSA would follow these post. They could have told us there was a greese fitting and where to look for it.

Lenny