Quantcast

Lube Rack& pion steering

flatbed

Notice that my steering was getting stiff and hard to turn so i pulled the cover of the rack & pion (6 allen head screws and you have to loosen the small screws to get the boots out of the way). Once it was off i could see the rack was very dry and starting to gull the cover. Once the cover is off you can pull the rack up and out with it still hooked to the tie-rods, You will see the gear in the slot. I spread some grease on the gear and in the slot, also some grease on the rack. You can see i also put zert fitting on the cover so i can grease it without taking it apart . If you do not want to do this you need to aleast pull the boots back so you can get some grease on the rack. This is something everyone that has a trooper needs to do.

2149669010104282158kQHhWl_th.jpg 2734587900104282158jxUyTy_th.jpg 2672825280104282158kyHmpz_th.jpg 2185755440104282158mudMiZ_th.jpg

Notice that my steering was getting stiff and hard to turn so i pulled the cover of the rack & pion (6 allen head screws and you have to loosen the small screws to get the boots out of the way). Once it was off i could see the rack was very dry and starting to gull the cover. Once the cover is off you can pull the rack up and out with it still hooked to the tie-rods, You will see the gear in the slot. I spread some grease on the gear and in the slot, also some grease on the rack. You can see i also put zert fitting on the cover so i can grease it without taking it apart . If you do not want to do this you need to aleast pull the boots back so you can get some grease on the rack. This is something everyone that has a trooper needs to do.

Very good advice, I have had these freeze up in the winter from getting water inside.

I always keep them packed with grease.

Good advise. I have done mine a bit back. My steering rack was quite sloopy and caused not only extra slop in the steering but it clunked fairly loud when in rougher stuff. To fix the problem, I made up a new top plate. You can see what I did at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Joyner-Troo...sspagenameZWD1V

Forgive me, this isn't an advertisement but rather sharing ideas that hopefully help our machines. I feel a little stupid for not putting the greese fittig on it as flatbed sujested. I know better but I guess it's old age creeping in. I'll be adding the fitting shortly.

Lenny

Lenny, I thought of putting a teflon wear plate in, but i thought i would still have to grease it because of the gear. The rack is going to want to wear on the corners, top and bottom. Nice piece

flatbed, I'm not sure you would want teflon. It is slicker but I beleive on the softy side. UHMW polyethylene is probably a better choice as it ireal tuff and still quite slippery. The advantage of poly or teflon for that matter is that grit will embed into it rather than wear parts away. With the boots, you shouldn't be getting dirt contamination. On my machines, I always used greese with poly. I'm not sure it is really necessary but I like to think it's a little better when greesed unless it's exposed to contamination.

Lenny

• 3 months later...

When I took my steering rack off today to install an electric assisted one, I discovered that the stock rack does have a greese fitting on it from the factory. It's in the middle on the bottom side where we can't find it unless we stand on lour head. It would be nice if JoynerUSA would follow these post. They could have told us there was a greese fitting and where to look for it.

Lenny

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By swalley
      bike cranks and runs great sometimes when you stop and get off nd it is idling simply goes dead for no reason hard to start back up if at all unless you let it set for about 30 minutes then cranks back up fine and your on your way anyone have a idea whats going on. im new here and to these machines any advice would be appreciated  
    • By Marcus Bentley
      Bought my coleman u400 from TSC last year, was running great. I live on a lake and use it almost daily to climb a pretty steep hill from my house down a path to the water. Last week was driving up the hill and it just quit. First thought was I'd run out of gas but it has almost a full tank of gas in it.  Have tried to get it to restart and the lights come on and it tries to turn over but won't catch. Checked the battery and tried to jump it just in case but it's not that. Checked the starter and it's good. Can't find the spark plug to even check that. I called the local repair guy in town and he told me he doesn't work on Hisun since it's all shit and I'd be better off burning the damn thing so that's been no help. Would appreciate any other ideas. 
    • By amautv
      1 1/2 years ago I was riding along in my 2018 Coleman 550 Outfitter when the CVT belt broken.  Just prior to that I was having some shifting issues that I now understand can be part of the clutch. Finally a few months ago I sent it in to a shop who put in a new belt as well as a new wet clutch (drum, one way bearing, etc and an oil change) He fired it up and it turned on fine, sounded fine and I took it home. It was an auto shop but not a UTV specific shop. So get it home and after a half hour or so it started making some noises with my 10 year old driving it around. I get home and he said theres noises again and I played around a bit. Within a short bit of trying to drive it around I started having noises that I now understand was my One Way Bearing being destroyed. Aka metal noises from the bearing falling apart.   Of course, after the cost of $800 to take it to a shop plus $200 in gas, trailer rental etc to take it in and back (it was a friends shop that was a bit of ad istance) I was quite ticked and pushed the UTV back into my garage and left it for a while.  Then this past weekend i watched a bunch of Youtube videos along with a mechanic friend to pull things apart.  We found the spindle was loose, opened it up further and found the one way bearing fell apart in my hand and the little bearings were already worn, no longer round and this was from less than a hour of use. THerefore leading me to believe it had very quick failure after the new wet clutch was put in.  We looked things to look for damage further.  Nothing really scratched/grooves etc so I ordered a new OEM bearing and we put it in, sealed it back up, followed the specs of everything and was 110% sure we put the One Way Bearing in correctly.    We rode it around for a hour, sounded fine.   Next day used it, sounded fine for a half hour.   Third day I turned it on and let it idle a little bit and found that I was hearing metal scraping again like I did right after getting my utv back from the shop.  Therefore I am 99% certain the One Way Bearing is about to break again (already breaking)   Its a brand new OEM belt.  Nothing looks off on the spindle.   I do not know for sure if the shop touched the inner race for which, in my understanding, the One Way Bearing spins. I know I may be sounding ignorant here.  I am not a mechanic by any means but I have learned a bit with the recent Youtube videos and attempted repairs.  Whatever that "ufo" looking object is, we replaced the bearings (those black things that spin) I replaced the whole "Ufo" lol... as the original had some wear/tear that prevented it from spinning perfect. Nothing currently
      visibly looks off... and the issue is mostly when the machine is more in an idle.  It was at an idle when the One Way Bearing sorta went kaput the last time.  THe noises is at an idle... but if I can get it drive, its fine.  It also affects the ability to shift the gears. 

I know I will have to replace the One Way Bearing again... I just dont know what might cause the issue that is destroying the bearinga nd so quickly.   Again, this all started when the belt snapped when I was going about 15 mph down a road on a warm day.  It has higher miles.  The wet clutch was in bad shape and its replaced.   The paperwork says "wet clutch assembly kit")   Is there something that the belt can do to cause damage that might not be as visible but would directly create an issue that lets the bearing get ate right up?? Help me!  I hate this machine and I really want it to run well ... so I can sell it and find something else  haha..
    • By UT400
      Recently purchased a Coleman UT400 from TSC and have noticed excessive engine noise, and heat coming into the seating area and bed.  Thinking about building an engine cover with heat-resistant sound deadening; wondering if anyone has tried and been successful? 
    • Dream Car Giveaway
    • By HighSon
      I’m posting this in case someone else has a Hisun in an environment that’s very dusty, muddy or wet and is looking for a method to protect the switch panel. My Sector is street driven daily with lots of dirt roads, dust, rain and mud. Plus I wash out the cab regularly. And while I’m sure that the switches are ok to get wet, over time with the grime I’m equally sure they’ll fail. So I fabbed up a clear plastic switch cover.
      I’m on an island in Central America, so I didn’t have access to any sheet lexan or acrylic to make the cover itself, but I found one of those clear refrigerator food storage bins of about the right size at the local hardware and cannibalized it. I used a piece of 1/4” aluminum angle and a piece of stainless piano hinge that I had laying around in the shop to make the mount and the hinged attachment. It works well and it’s easy to slip open whenever I need to turn something on or off. Open at the bottom for cord connections should they be needed.

• Gallery Images