Quantcast

09 R2 Joyner Renegade 800cc won't start

Chee

Very new to any forum. Haha We have an 09 R2 joyner renegade 800cc. We are unable to start it. It has been sitting for a few seasons. It has spark(new plugs), it get gas, fuel pump works(new), fan comes on on initial key turn, sounds like system doing its check. It's turning over but nothing.  Clean fuel, gas tank cleaned, fuel going through all the lines. Relays and fuses checked and pulled and reseated. New battery even. Thanks yall.

An engine needs fuel, spark, air to start.  It also needs to be properly timed.  Are you getting fuel to the engine cylinder?  Have you pulled a plug and checked for spark when turning the engine over?  Do you have the Renegade owners manual?   I would check for fuel and spark to the cylinder before I proceeded to an issue with parts such as a relay or ?  Check for proper fuel pressure as well.  Many pumps may fit but proper fuel pressure is key to these engines running properly.  Electronic issues seem to be a key issue with trooper.  The original equipment electronic connections get corrosions easily and need to be cleaned with a wire brush and non-conductive contact cleaner or electronics cleaner.  I just finished cleaning all of the gauges, switches, and other connections on my T2.  Makes a big difference.  If your Joyner has been sitting, corrosion is going to be an issue.  Check and clean those connections.  If you go to the Joyner USA website you will find a link to download a manual for the renegade.  There are some good diagrams for electrical parts.  The unit also has an engine relay in the fuse panel.   

Okay. Thanks. We do have the manual. It has fuel spark and air. Did exactly that in turning it over and checking for spark. We doing an extra cleaning in fuel tank this time and trying again. We will check electrical components again. We also have T4 1100cc and it won't start and found through the forum it maybe not getting enough power to the solenoid. Will get that one when we can. Thanks again. Round 2.....haha

• 5 weeks later...

I have an ‘08 (I think) R2 800 with similar symptoms. Mine started sputtering while riding until it cut off. Wait a few minutes and it would start. Progressed until it wouldn’t start. Drug it out of the woods and got it home. Pulled spark plug. Getting fire but it was weak (yellow spark rather than blue). Plugs wet so presume getting fuel. Installed new plugs while I waited on new coils. Had recently replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator and fuel lines. Fuel pressure steady between 80 and 90 psi. Pulled fuel line and it pumps a steady stream (filled a quart jar pretty quickly). After checking all the wires (didn’t unplug and clean) it cranked but I wouldn’t call it “running”. Removed muffler and catalytic converter. Let it sit over night. Wouldn’t start the next morning. Frustrated, let it sit until the next day. Next day it cranked but wouldn’t get above a rough idle. Received and installed the coils. Cranked and ran, sorta’. Removed the catalyst from the converter and reinstalled it and the muffler. Would crank but back to the rough slow idle only. Called JoynerUSA folks. They suggested resetting the ECM. Did that and it ran better than it had in a while…. for a few minutes. Back to cranking but not much more than a rough idle. 
I bought this buggy new and it has done all I have ever asked. Would really like to get to run and regain my confidence in it. Any thoughts / suggestions would be greatly appreciated

We do have ours running if that's what you want to call it as well. We had to clean fuel lines and fuel tank. Found some gummy substance in it. It cranks and stays on which is good however when trying to start it its cranking all the way till it turns over to idling. I'm not sure if that made any sense. We hold the ignition in the start position till its able to get to the idling. So figuring that part out next. Then we have to figure out an 1100cc on why it won't turnover from the starter then cuts off after it does start.

• 3 months later...

Fuel pressure on those Chery 800/1100 engines should be 50 psi according to my manual.  As for the engine cutting off immediately after start, mine does that too if the battery is slightly under charged (fron sitting too long).  It's still strong enough to crank the engine over but won't continue to run unless I give it some gas to raise the idle to about 1500 rpms for a few seconds.  Then it starts and runs fine after that.  Mine won't start unless I give the ECM time to boot up and cycle the gauges before moving the keyswitch to "start".  Could it be possible you're drawing air into the fuel system somewhere along the line?