Quantcast

2021 Hisun Sector e (its electric)

Billsectere

New to the forum. New to UTVs. New to Electric motors.  I just got a 2021 Hisun Sector E to help with moving stuff on my  steep 5 acre wooded mountain patch. Plus I thought it would be fun on the gravel roads in the "neighborhood". Because we are remote and part time to the property, I didn't want the hassle of dumping out old gas or messing with oil and filters and all the usual maintenance of a ICE. But the biggest reason for me was the noise. I test drove the Axis utvs at Tractor Supply Co and they were LOUD. Seemed to ride rough too. If you want quiet, then electric is the way to go. But it does come with a high price tag. And all the electric models are still in their infancy. So its a bit of a gamble too. I bought the property for quiet. I wanted to keep it quiet.

I liked that the Hisun had the dry cell batteries so there is no maintenance of checking and adding water. I'm a little worried about their lifespan especially after one person's poor utube review about them. But the dealer said the company took that to heart so hopefully changes were made for better batteries. There were no Lithium battery options available anywhere near me. Polaris is supposed to have one later this year. I liked that the Hisun came standard with roof, windshield, winch and trailer hitch. I have had the sector for only one day and worked it and road it good. So far I have a big smile on my face. I wish there was a category for this model on the forum here. Meanwhile, maybe folks will share their insights/ experiences on this thread. I'd like to learn as much about the sector e as I can. There isn't much info in the owners manual.

IMG-1398.jpg

• Alex changed the title to 2021 Hisun Sector e (its electric)

I have a 2017 Hisun  Sector e.   It is the most frequently used vehicle (including cars) on our property.    I love the fact it is relatively maintenance free, and you can just get in it and go.... any time, any weather.   Looking at your picture I can see they haven't changed much in the last 4 years (tires and decals looks to be it).   I don't think I would like my rig for going exploring out in the woods because of it's limited range, but it is perfect for around home.    My batteries are getting worn and don't provide the miles that they used too, but I plug it in every night and it will still easily last a full day for whatever I may choose to do.    I only have a couple of minor complaints; 1) the long delay between turning on the key and the time you can put it in forward or reverse to go.  If you put it in forward or reverse too soon it just sets there until you put it in neutral for several seconds the go into forward or reverse.    Whenever someone new drives it for the first time they can't make it go because of this quirk.   No one will ever steal it because of this  😊  2) the emergency brake doesn't always release fully and I sometimes have to pull it up a little further with my toe before it will go.   Hopefully they have corrected those minor issues on the new ones

When new take it easy and light usage for about 20 charge cycles, if you do the life of the batteries will be longer. If you thrash it from new and heavily deplete the battery pack the life will be significantly shortened. Check all the battery and power connections regularly for tightness.  I do Li ion conversions on these in the UK, and all have huge amounts of crud under the seats between and down the side of the batteries, as well as under the floor in the drive tunnel hump.  It helps to clear that out regularly. The small belly pan can be dropped of and let some of the stuff out, but you have to lift the floor / tunnel to get that out.  I also change the bolts that hold the belly pan for std (although stainless) m6 screws, as for some reason they use screws with small heads, that easily wring round. Only use 6 point sockets on the originals, 12points will round off much easier.  Occasionally check that the fan on the charger at the front hasnt got clogged up with mud.

4 hours ago, EVSupport said:

When new take it easy and light usage for about 20 charge cycles, if you do the life of the batteries will be longer. If you thrash it from new and heavily deplete the battery pack the life will be significantly shortened. Check all the battery and power connections regularly for tightness.  I do Li ion conversions on these in the UK, and all have huge amounts of crud under the seats between and down the side of the batteries, as well as under the floor in the drive tunnel hump.  It helps to clear that out regularly. The small belly pan can be dropped of and let some of the stuff out, but you have to lift the floor / tunnel to get that out.  I also change the bolts that hold the belly pan for std (although stainless) m6 screws, as for some reason they use screws with small heads, that easily wring round. Only use 6 point sockets on the originals, 12points will round off much easier.  Occasionally check that the fan on the charger at the front hasnt got clogged up with mud.

THANKS !

Another question is the charging cable. The owners manual says use a 20 amp rated (120 volt) cord no longer than 25 feet. So that means 12 gauge wire. But it says nothing about the outlet. Most outlets are 15 amp with regular 3 prong plug. That is what I have on my deck where I plug in. BUT, a 20 amp extension cord will not have a regular 3 prong plug. They all switch over to that "tee" plug where one of the prongs goes horizontal instead of vertical. So that means these utv's must require a designated 20 amp outlet and circuit. But the dealer never mentioned that. I am pretty sure I was told I could use a "regular outlet". I think they should tell you that a 20 amp outlet will be needed.

I wonder how dangerous it is to use a 15 amp (14 gauge) cord of 25 feet through my outdoor grounded 15 volt (sorry thats a typo ...meant 15 amp not volt) outlet ??

The problem isnt the outlet. On small cables you get a big voltage drop under load. On other DeltaQ chargers (as used on the  Polaris Ranger EVs) they wont charge if the voltage drop is too big when the charger kicks in.

So you need an adequate cable size to reduce the voltage drop. Its not so bad for us in the UK as we have 240v mains and so dont need such large cable. It will charge from a regular power outlet, just not with a very long extension lead that isnt large enough.

What is an outdoor grounded 15volt outlet?

2 hours ago, EVSupport said:

The problem isnt the outlet. On small cables you get a big voltage drop under load. On other DeltaQ chargers (as used on the  Polaris Ranger EVs) they wont charge if the voltage drop is too big when the charger kicks in.

So you need an adequate cable size to reduce the voltage drop. Its not so bad for us in the UK as we have 240v mains and so dont need such large cable. It will charge from a regular power outlet, just not with a very long extension lead that isnt large enough.

What is an outdoor grounded 15volt outlet?

Im sorry that was a typo. I meant 15 amp, outlet. The problem is I cant find a 20 amp rated cable that has a standard 3 prong plug. It seems 20 amp cables all have the tee type plug.

Just get it made up. You really dont want it on a reel anyway, thats a temptation not to un reel it and thats a disaster. They will melt with a high continual load when still even partially coiled.  Its easier for us with 230v and access to decent 16a outdoor covered sockets. If you have access to 230v(or whatever your split phase is) then use that as the charges will work on 120/ 240. Smaller cable size / better availability.  This is whats ideal for us in Europe.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113729489250?

They are covered, and hold the plug in as well. So much safer than the system you have in the states. 

• 1 year later...

The charger is at the front underneath the front compartment. On the drivers side is a power light and fault code display. The mains inlet is on the other end. You must have an adequate sized extension lead, (most are not) or the voltage drop causes the charger to not run. When plugged into the mains are you seeing any lights on the drivers side of the charger, is there a error or fault code being scrolled across the small screen. If you look under the seat you will see a cable with a white , black and green wire set. check these out, one will have the fuse attached to it. just follow the wires,check that fuse. If your mains plug is not a moulded one, check the connections inside. The key to not charging is to see the fault code.