Quantcast

MADE A TOP FOR MY TROOPER

Gumball

I'm taking my Trooper to the White Mountains for the summer, where there's lots of rain so I thought I better make some kind of a top. I had the material for a Bimini top but decided something more substantial was in order.

Instead of fabric I bought a 48"x48" piece of 1/8" ABS black plastic. The top took a piece 48"x33". The remaining piece I used to run behind the top down to the spare tire mount. That should keep a bit more of the rain out.

I used 1 1/2" foam pipe insulation around 3 sides of the top and attached the plastic sheet using cable ties. Using ties I can remove the top quickly. To stiffen the top I ran a piece of square aluminum running fore and aft along the center of the top.

Total investment was around $40.00. I'll let you know how it holds up in the Arizona sun.

Gumball

• 10 months later...
I'm taking my Trooper to the White Mountains for the summer, where there's lots of rain so I thought I better make some kind of a top. I had the material for a Bimini top but decided something more substantial was in order.

Instead of fabric I bought a 48"x48" piece of 1/8" ABS black plastic. The top took a piece 48"x33". The remaining piece I used to run behind the top down to the spare tire mount. That should keep a bit more of the rain out.

I used 1 1/2" foam pipe insulation around 3 sides of the top and attached the plastic sheet using cable ties. Using ties I can remove the top quickly. To stiffen the top I ran a piece of square aluminum running fore and aft along the center of the top.

Total investment was around $40.00. I'll let you know how it holds up in the Arizona sun.

Gumball

I live in NH. Were you able to drive your Trooper on the roads? I registered my trooper as an ATV. Debating on trying and register as a car.

Hi Scimaro,

Here in Arizona many of the ATVs as well as off road cars are licensed for the street. My Trooper has a road license along with insurance, a off highway permit, and a state trust land permit.

The Trooper is not what you would call a good road car. It's to low geared for any real travel in traffic but it's fine for low speed driving. I trailer it when there is any great distance to travel.

To make things better for the road I replaced the off road tires with Super Swampers. They work fine for most any type terrain and don't shake you to pieces on the road. I've also have the same size wheels all around so I can carry one spare.

The top works well in the sun as well as rain. I did add a windshield but is it is next to worthless in the dust. I will put it back on when I return to the White Mountains in the rain.

Have fun!

Gumball

Hi Scimaro,

Here in Arizona many of the ATVs as well as off road cars are licensed for the street. My Trooper has a road license along with insurance, a off highway permit, and a state trust land permit.

The Trooper is not what you would call a good road car. It's to low geared for any real travel in traffic but it's fine for low speed driving. I trailer it when there is any great distance to travel.

To make things better for the road I replaced the off road tires with Super Swampers. They work fine for most any type terrain and don't shake you to pieces on the road. I've also have the same size wheels all around so I can carry one spare.

The top works well in the sun as well as rain. I did add a windshield but is it is next to worthless in the dust. I will put it back on when I return to the White Mountains in the rain.

Have fun!

Gumball

Looking up NH law and it states that vehicle must meet United States Department of Transportation motor vehicle safety standards. Do you know where I could find this info out? If it is a will be able to reg in NH.

Thanks for the reply

I looked at the New Hampshire laws on the Internet. Now I know why you're confused about how to go about licensing your Trooper.

Here's a contact in New Hampshire that might be able to help you. [email protected]

There may be a forum member that can aim you in the right direction. That's one of the BIG benefits of being a member.

Good Luck!

Gumball

I looked at the New Hampshire laws on the Internet. Now I know why you're confused about how to go about licensing your Trooper.

Here's a contact in New Hampshire that might be able to help you. [email protected]

There may be a forum member that can aim you in the right direction. That's one of the BIG benefits of being a member.

Good Luck!

Gumball

This is the same guy I emailed regarding warranty work and he told me he does not work on Joyner vehicles. From info I found it doesn't look like I will be able to reg as a car without it meeting federal safety standards.