Quantcast

BIG BIG paddle tire experment

Guest Lenny

Guest Lenny

Went to Coral Pink Sand Dunes in southern Utah over the weekend. Wanted to try out my big paddle tires. Let me give some background. The stock tires were useless in the sand as we all know. From there I went to paddle tires, wanting 27x14 but my dealer said Joyner said that would be too big for the gearing because of the sand drag. So I got 25x12's. They preformed fairly well but sunk in a lot the minute I started to spin. As long as I was on top they pulled fairly good but sunk in way too easy. After that I went to the 31x15 Mickey Thompson Baja tires which easily did as good as my smll paddles. They stayed on top better and for longer and thus climbed pretty good but they still didn't hookup like the paddle tires which didn't hookup enough. That left me with still not having enough flotation and still not getting a really good grip on the sand. Everyone I talked to and everything I read on the internet, said that the only way you can really go in the sand is to churn the tires hard and that takes horse power. I don't have that kind of HP. I figured that if I took a rubber track about 16" wide and made it like a bulldozer track and laid it on the sand hill from the bottom to the top, that I wouldn't be able to make it slip. So I figured the more paddle tire you get on the ground, the better the hookup when not spinning. So I got some really big paddle tires and to just see it I could actually get a hold of the sand. These tires are about 33" tall so gearing is high.

2381153090104282158EBLZpy_th.jpg, 2787406780104282158vleePk_th.jpg

It did hookup. I was suprised at how well. The lower 50% of the grades, I could pretty much zip up with just a little throttle, maybe 2000-3000 rpms. Not any noticable spinning. It was like I was on solid ground or close to it. On the steeper hills, in second with the motor reving at say 5500 rpms, it would just pull up like crazy. When I would pull the engine down and shift to first, it actually sort of took off again for a bit. At this point I would run out of power and always near the top of most big hills. I figure with 25% more low end torque and another 25-40 more HP, It would be a monster and go literally anywheres. It was that close to having enough already. Now, it isn't ever going to be a high powered sand rail and just scream up the biggest hills but unlike most others except for the sand rails, It will go up the same hills and pretty good at that. I'm not talking competive cliff climbing now. There is a limit but it will be absolutely impressive and without churning the tires. Look at the following pics. the first is a view of the hill I'm going to climb to give you an idea of it. I've went up much steeper then this but this was one of my goals. That goal being to go part way up this particular hill that my friends highly modified Rhino makes but without much room to spare. After about 3/4 of the way up, I wanted to turn around and head back down to just turn around again and go up and over. In other words do a 360 in the middle of the hill. Thats just what I did except the hill wasn't wide enough to let me get turned back up hill without stopping and backing up which I did. Look at the pics and you see my tracks. I started out with no head start at the right side of the base of the hill. Needless to say, I'm excited and starting to thing a little more power.

2901995140104282158NVANVg_th.jpg, 2431231160104282158SEioxl_th.jpg

Lenny

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Felderlostnspace
      2016, Hisun 500 turns over great but Spark plug is firing when I turn the ignition key on. I’ve got good fuel pressure to the injector. Pulled plug out and it is wet with. gasoline. Air filter is clean. Turns over great just does not even try to pop or start.. I’ve checked off uses and they are good when I turn the key on I’m getting power to the injector.. I’m not hearing the injector pulsing, but may just be my hearing.. With the spark plug getting wet with gas I feel like the injector is pulsing and spraying. Any suggestions would be great. I don’t know the hours on the unit offhand, but it has 600 miles on it. Thank you for your comments and advanced.
    • By trevor
      my hisun 400 has ben leaking oil out of a small metal tube on the bottom near the oil filter. Got the side by side given to me after been sitting for a couple years  but 2 quarts in nothing happened my buddy went and worked on it and put another quart in it. i thought it just pushed out what it didn't need. but its dry as a bone inside. does have a good clatter coming from the top end as well, with oil in it. looking for some help not much on the internet about these things.
    • By Kingfish
      I've had a battery failure and need one replacement.  The local distributor told me it might take up to four weeks to get one.  I'd like to order one in sooner than that if possible.  Any help would be appreciated.
    • By mcraigchr
      I realize that many of you do not have diesel machines.  For those that do, this is for you:
      Just wanted to post my experience this past week.  Here in Texas, we had pretty good dip in temps.  For 4 days it did not get above 25.  At night, it was single digits or close to it.  I always put Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer in the storage tank (30 gallon).  And up until this tank I was using Power Service (white bottle) for anti-gel.  Never had an issue.
      This tank, however, I switched to Stabil All season (anti gel).  It is supposed to good down to -40.  Zap.  That is a big fat lie.  I put in twice the amount called for in the instructions.  Result was less than optimal.  I drove the SxS 100 feet (to go get the mail) and it died.  I looked at the fuel bowl and it was a cloudy, wax substance.  So, the Stabil did not work.  That said, I'm not sure that I ever tested the Power Service in the same manner.  So I am not saying that one is better than the other.
      What are your experiences?  Are these products inferior?  What do you folks in the northern states / Canada use?  Am I missing something?
      CC
    • By sxsadventurerally
      It’s time for the 10th Annual SXS Adventure Rally on the Rocks. Join us in the best sandbox this side of your childhood playground! Experience the thrill of exploration, the excitement of speed, the sensation of Mother Nature and machines.
      Come to gorgeous Southern Utah as the best industry Side by Sides and UTV's hit the sand, dunes, rocks and endless vistas of Sand Hollow State Park for the adventure of a lifetime. May is perfect riding weather and is sure to bring a smile to everyone’s face.
      This SXS/UTV family friendly event will overload the senses with professionally guided trail rides, rock crawling, camping, factory demo rides, rock crawling competitions, scenic rides, education classes, cornhole tournament, music concerts and more.
      Official expert guided trail rides are just $50 per person per day. Vendor areas, demo rides and entertainment fun open to the public with state park entry.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ENTER THE EVENT TO COME ENJOY THE VENDORS AND DO TEST/DEMO DRIVES WITH INDUSTRY MANUFACTURERS.
      For more information and full 2024 event schedule and fees. Have questions? Hit the FAQ page: https://SXSAdventureRally.com/faq
      ~ PURSUE YOUR SXS/UTV PASSION ~
      Sponsored by:
      GBCTires.com – Presenting Sponsor
      Sponsorship and Vendor opportunities available. Please contact us for more information and bring your business to the true grass roots of the sport! 
      Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/SXSAdventureRallyOnTheRocks or @SXSAdventureRallyOnTheRocks
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SXSAdventureRallyOnTheRocks

For Additional Information, contact [email protected] or (435) 703-4444‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬