Quantcast

Farmingtion, New Mexico - June 11-14, 2010

rocmoc

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for a little update. The Parks Service knows of our little adventure. They are trying to say we are an organized event and want permits & insurance. Just got the paperwork and will be calling today to talk to the person in charge. WE ARE NOT AN ORGANIZED EVENT! We are friends getting together, no fees, no single person in charge with no idea if one or 20 sidexsides are showing up. EVERYONE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THEMSELVES! Will update later.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

SUCCESS! We are square the the Farmington Field office of the BLM.

BUT, a camping permit is required at NO COST. They can be obtained ahead of time by contacting J.J. Montgomery @ 505-599-8984. He needs a week lead time. We will be camping in the Glade. I will call and get my permit soon and post the outcome. If you are not sure if you are going to make the trip and decide at the last minute, BLM ask that you call J.J. in route so you are not harassed over the weekend. BLM does not work over the weekend but the local law enforcement does patrol the area. Also don't forget your Off Road permit discussed in an earlier post.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

The date IS

June 11-14, 2010, Friday thu & including Monday. Come any one day or all days.

I have confirmed this date with Daven, Joyner Dealer in Farmington, and he will adding it to his online site, Farr Offroad - Farmington, New Mexico Daven has several other/new bodies, Trooper Owners & other brands, that also will attend including another T4. He is going to research the local campgrounds for hopefully a discounted rate.

We will arrive the 10th and leave the 15th.

More info to follow.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

My wife just asked when the Jamboree was and I had to go look, so for every one, here's an early thread with date.

correct me if I'm / it's wrong.

I also plan to change the name of this thread so it includes the date.

Kinarf

Spoke to Daven the Joyner Dealer in Farmington this morning and he is commented to show & lead us around for our adventure no matter what happens with Joyner. Good guy!

I will call JJ for MY camping permit next week so you all will have first hand knowledge of the process.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

• 2 weeks later...

I tried again this morning but NO LUCK. I have left messages twice and at different times of the morning. If he does not call me back today I will not be updating this post again until after Mar. 22nd as I will be in Mexico and he will not be able to reach me. This info was left in the message also. I will try again when I return one more time, then I will try via someone else withing the BLM Farmington office.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

• 2 weeks later...

Got back from Mexico and my Camping Permit was in the mail.

Just Call J.J. Montgomery @ 505-599-8984 and leave your Name, mailing address, the dates you will be camping and say you will be camping in the GLADE. He will mail you the permit. Don't delay, I already have mine. If you don't us it not a big deal, it is FREE.

Then come to this topic and post that you have you permit so we have an idea who is coming.

I HAVE MINE!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

• 1 month later...
Guest Lenny

OK it is time to step up, WHO IS COMING TO FARMINGTON? We are coming do matter what. Daven has agree to take us on some great runs Who's coming?

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

My wife Jeanne and I plan on coming. We already have our camping permit. Looking forward to it. Have a little bit to do to my Trooper yet and it will be ready to go. It won't be done totally but it may never get done. I'm modifying and changing it non stop it seems. Hoped to have the planetary gear setup done but it won't be in time. It will be my biggest challange yet on the Trooper. Kinarfi and I will have power steering on both of our Troopers. I'm quite sure Kinarfi is planning on going too.

Lenny

OK it is time to step up, WHO IS COMING TO FARMINGTON? We are coming do matter what. Daven has agree to take us on some great runs Who's coming?

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Just called for my camping permit, Linda says we have a commitment to be in Duchesne, Utah on June 9 & 10 and head for the Jamboree on the 11th, but that will probably change.

I have my power steering in and I am testing it when the weather is good, but so far, it's working great.

I am also working on a cruise control which should be called an engine speed or throttle control since that is what it does. I'm making this because of my handy cap and my inability to hold the throttle steady, my idea is to be able to set the engine speed to something like 2500 or 3000 rpm and head up a hill and it will stay there, and I won't end up floor boarded.

Rocmoc, do you have a recommended easy route to follow route to follow?

Sorry I don't have a route from your location. Most of the roads I have driven in UT, AZ & NM are good.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I was looking at the maps, it gave me two routes from Shiprock to the Glade. Is there any good reason to use Road 6480 like my route planner says instead of staying on 64 and taking a left on 170, I think not, It's supposed to be shorter, but it's not enough to make it worth while. That's all l was wondering about.

Thanks,

Kinarfi

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Hope to make it.Really looking forward to meeting all.Wife might be starting new job so not sure if she will be able to get the time off.Should know in next week or so.

I have only been to Cottonwood in that area. Roads are a little narrow but were in good shape. What route is Lenny taking?

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

rocmoc,

Will you be taking the 89 to the 160 out of Flagstaff? We would be coming from So Cal and mapquest says thats the route for us.

We will be going up Hwy 77 North from Tucson to I40 East to Gallup and up Hwy 37 North to Farmington. About 515 miles one-way, one long day. We will be heading East after-wards to visit friends in Albuquerque on the way home. I use Yahoo maps. I have pulled my Toyhauler on both 89 & 160. Road is good. Only warning is watch your fuel, stations are only in the larger towns, Tuba & Kayenta on 160. There is some GREAT sightseeing along that route.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

We will be going up Hwy 77 North from Tucson to I40 East to Gallup and up Hwy 37 North to Farmington. About 515 miles one-way, one long day. We will be heading East after-wards to visit friends in Albuquerque on the way home. I use Yahoo maps. I have pulled my Toyhauler on both 89 & 160. Road is good. Only warning is watch your fuel, stations are only in the larger towns, Tuba & Kayenta on 160. There is some GREAT sightseeing along that route.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

yahoo says same as mapquest for me.do you think i would be better off continuing on to gallop from flagstaff then up? just want the quickest safest way,long drive...

• 3 weeks later...

I am also bringing my Dirt Bike (motorcycle) in addition to the Trooper. Is anyone else a rider? I am bringing it just in case I break the Trooper, sort of like a spare tire.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Hope it works like a spare tire, If you don't have the spare tire, you WILL have a flat, Murphy's Law!!!! :blink:

:lol::D

Kinarfi

Hope it works like a spare tire, If you don't have the spare tire, you WILL have a flat, Murphy's Law!!!! :blink:

:lol::D

Kinarfi

Hello Kinarfi, I agree. BUT I do have a spare tire. Not much of one but enough to keep Murphy away!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Hello Kinarfi, I agree. BUT I do have a spare tire. Not much of one but enough to keep Murphy away!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Wish I still had my dirt bikes, they were a hoot, Husky 390 OR, Yamaha 600 XT, several others, Used to be quite a biker, but that was long ago, Just a Trooper driver now, and a mellow one at that! See you down there, getting ready for it already.

Kinarfi

We are also getting ready, checking trailer batteries. We are going a few days early to visit Friends in Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Will also make a quick trip to Taos and Chama. In Farmington, we are planning to take an afternoon or two after a morning ride and travel around the area beyond the 4X4ing or travel around in the moring & complete and evening ride. There is a lot see in the area. We should arrive early the 11th.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Well sorry to say wont be making the trip.Wife started new job last week and she cant get the time off.Real bummer,I was really looking forward to it.Anybody going to that utv rally in Marysville Utah this summer?

George and I are planning on being there, Friday and Saturday for the Rally. It was fun last year.

Cinda

Directions to camping:

From downtown Farmington Hwy 64 heads West out of town. Near town edge and just West of the Airport take Hwy 170 North/Right to Pinon Hills Road, just north of the Airport, and turn East/Right. Continue East to Glade Road & turn North/Left. Glade Road parallels a wash into the Glades off-road area. We will place a sign & small orange cone on Glade Road where we turn off to camp. All this is easily viewed on Google Earth at 36deg 46' 44.20"N, 108deg 12'22.80"W. This is a general location to view in advance. Watch for signs & cones. We will be the large White Toyhauler/Fifth Wheel trailer without decals except a round Red SCCA Decal and the #6 near the rear on both sides. Tow vehicle is a Silver Dodge Ram. We should arrive early afternoon the 11th. We will have internet service and can be reached until we depart from Albuquerque in the morning of the 11th.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

George and I are planning on being there, Friday and Saturday for the Rally. It was fun last year.

Cinda

We will make sure we do a ride Friday evening the 11th just for you guys. A little exploring without Daven, local dealer.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Well sorry to say wont be making the trip.Wife started new job last week and she cant get the time off.Real bummer,I was really looking forward to it.Anybody going to that utv rally in Marysville Utah this summer?

Next time! I am going to try and get Lenny & Kinarfi to to have it in their playground, near their homes, next year. That way maybe we could have a tech session plus rides. They are the guys with the know and wouldn't it be great if we could leave the weekend with better Troopers than we came with. Planting the seed guys, will talk in Farmington.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico