Quantcast

brake modification questions

Guest Lenny

While I redoing my front driveshaft, I decided to put a disk on the shaft for my parking brake. This gives me three advantages. First, it keeps the parking brake simple and condensed. Second, when I use the parking brake to hold me while I'm letting the clutch out on a complicated hill section, all 4 wheels hold, if in 4x4. Thirdly, I get the advantage of the 2.11: 1 ratio in the differentials for better braking. That leaves me with 2 extra calipers on the rear. If I doubled them up with the other 2 in the rear, that would increase my regular stopping power. Do you think this would give me too much on the rear and make the balance with the front unworkable? Also, what do you think about hooking the front brake lines together and the same with the rear? Stock, they are Right front with left rear together and left front with right rear.

Lenny

I have seen the setup you are talking about on older Jeeps & trucks. You could always throw in an adjustable proportioning valve to balance the system.

rocmoc n Mexico/AZ

Thanks, good input. Guess I'll go forward with it. Thought for sure you were going to say "You idiot, don't you know anything"

Lenny

With the drive line locked in park, be sure to consider the spider gears. Don't know about the rest.

I figure that running hard in low gear puts a lot more stress on the gears compared to just holding in a stopped position.

Lenny

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Abermp
      I have a DesertCross 800 that doesn't want to stay in low, it pops out when I let off the gas. No problem with the other gears. What do I need to do?  Thanks.
    • By ILoveOldJunk
      Recently acquired a 21 year old Mule.  The previous owner let the brake master cylinder run dry, and when I flushed the brakes, one wheel's brakes locked up.  I took the wheel off, but cannot get the axle nut off, and there is not enough space to get my gear puller behind the drum anyway.  Anybody had an issue with seized brakes?  How can I get this thing off to replace it or rebuild it?
    • By Alex
      This is an interesting read. ADAS is main stream on cars these days. The technology looks to be headed towards UTVs and Off-Road Vehicles.
      Potential Motors and CFMOTO USA have announced a new partnership to integrate advanced driver-assist systems (ADAS) into recreational off-road vehicles for the first time.
      Sam Poirier, CEO and co-founder at Potential Motors, says the integration of its technology into CFMOTO’s vehicles will set new standards in the side-by-side segment. (Photo: Potential Motors Inc.) The partnership will first see Potential’s tech integrated into CFMOTO test vehicles. The companies will conduct extensive real-world testing at Potential’s purpose-built off-road proving ground in Fredericton, Canada, and CFMOTO facilities.
      Source: https://powersportsbusiness.com/top-stories/2023/12/19/cfmoto-and-potential-motors-announce-industry-first-adas-technology-for-ohvs/
    • By Michael Wood
      I have a 2018 Massimo Buck 400 with 278 miles. 
      Having issues with my brakes. Took the buggy hunting and when I let my foot off the gas pedal it pulls without pressing on the brake. I looked and the pads on all 4 wheels are all toast. The E-Brake hasn’t been on since I have had it. I am guessing it may be a master cylinder issue because all 4 pads are gone. They all seem to have worn evenly that’s why I think the master cylinder. Just got the machine used from a older couple and they said it sat for some time in there pole barn. Possibly the brake lines? Calipers? I took one brake apart and when I depressed the caliper it didn’t stay. Any help is muck appreciated. 
    • By Carter Read
      This is just the kit I am not selling the car. The Kit will be custom made as seen in pictures.... CAR IS not for sale just showing the RS1 kit I'm selling. Kit includes mig welded laser cut and CNC Bent 1 3/4" D.O.M cage DOM Front Bumper DOM Rear Bumper