Quantcast

R-2 high rev

Chalkstk

Hi All,

Still not counting chickies, but day two and it idles fine. The only thing I have done different is putting pedal to the medal before ignition. I know this is not necessary for fuel injection, but if it works, I'm happy. I removed throttle sensor and IAC, and sprayed both internaly with contact spray. So far so good. Thx for everybody's input. Learning allot. And here I thought I was just a "turn key" kind of guy...................:)

Lenny,

Does IAC stand for "internal air control"?

Thx,

Frankie

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Still not counting chickies, but day two and it idles fine. The only thing I have done different is putting pedal to the medal before ignition. I know this is not necessary for fuel injection, but if it works, I'm happy. I removed throttle sensor and IAC, and sprayed both internaly with contact spray. So far so good. Thx for everybody's input. Learning allot. And here I thought I was just a "turn key" kind of guy...................:)

Lenny,

Thx,

Frankie

Frankie,

Congrats,must feel like a weights been taken off your shoulders.We will all keep our fingers crossed.Keep us posted and dont run off from us and not stay in touch.

Guest Lenny

Hi All,

Lenny,

Thx,

Frankie

It's referred to by a couple of different names. IAC is for Idle air controller. Some may say Idle air actuator. Internal air control works for me.

Lenny

Frankie,

Congrats,must feel like a weights been taken off your shoulders.We will all keep our fingers crossed.Keep us posted and dont run off from us and not stay in touch.

Yeah Rick,

Hope this is it. And I will stay on board. Wish I had a T-2 instead. That xtra cylinder and cc's must run pretty good. Never had the R-2 above 60. Tachs pretty high. Would have been great to have an OD gear for highway use. Oh, well, be content with what we have B)

Frankie

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lenny,

If problem begins again, do you think it is the IAC and can one be obtained? Rough $?

Thx

After thinking about what Lenny said about the IAC (referred to as DLA on page 106 of the Owner's Manual / Parts Manual T2, T4 with a picture of a slightly older Yellow Trooper like mine on the front page, Winch is down low,) is that after you get started and every thing is idling just fine, disconnect the IAC plug and the it has to stay where it is. It is my guess that it readjusts every time you start it. I'm going to undo mine the next time I get it started and see if it starts better after that.

Kinarfi

Guest Lenny

After thinking about what Lenny said about the IAC (referred to as DLA on page 106 of the Owner's Manual / Parts Manual T2, T4 with a picture of a slightly older Yellow Trooper like mine on the front page, Winch is down low,) is that after you get started and every thing is idling just fine, disconnect the IAC plug and the it has to stay where it is. It is my guess that it readjusts every time you start it. I'm going to undo mine the next time I get it started and see if it starts better after that.

Kinarfi

If yours is starting hard, you might try increasing the pressure by adjusting the fuel regulator. The engine is cold and the gas doesn't evaporate as quickly and thus it's necessary to have a ricker mixture or more gas to evaporate to get a proper gas vapor-oxygen mixture that will ignite. If the mixture is too lean, it just won't ignite.

Lenny

Guest Lenny

Do you know what the stock setting is for fuel pressure and what setting would you advise?

I think the manual shows 42-44 PSI. The guy in Arizonia that puts turbos on Troopers said it should be about 52. Here's the thing. When an engine is cold the gas doesn't evaporate as quickly. As a result, to get proper gas vapor/air ratios for ignition, the computer richens the mixture. With more gas, there is more to evaporate from and thus provides more vapor. If your starting hard, it is possible that a little higher fuel regulator setting would help. Hard cold starting could also be a result of a bad coolant temperature sensor. I don't know what the computer sees if the sensor is bad. I believe that the sensor has a resistance circuit that increases in resistance as temperature increases. The computer sends the sensor, I believe, a 5v signal and the sensor sends back something less than that depending on temperature. If the computer sees high voltage as hotter then if the sensor circuit was shorted, it might send back a voltage signaling the computer that the engine is hotter than it really is. If the computer sees a warmed up engine, it won't richen the mixture for starting like it would on a cold engine. As a result, the gas vapor/air mixture could be too lean for proper ignition. There may be some other sinarios that others can add with explinations so we all can learn from their input.

Lenny

Thx All,

I finally am looking at hatched chickens. The R-2 idles fine. It was a sticky IAC sensor. After a year and a 1/2, I can finally chalk up some miles. Thx for everyone's input.:)

Frankie

Fantastic, guess I know what I'm gonna try next. My throttle body was full of oil when I took it apart, I cleaned my IAC but only with alcohol, I will also do ohms testing on it too.

Again, congrats and we're all glad to hear we helped someone.

Kinarfi

Thx All,

I finally am looking at hatched chickens. The R-2 idles fine. It was a sticky IAC sensor. After a year and a 1/2, I can finally chalk up some miles. Thx for everyone's input.:)

Frankie

Frankie.

Great to hear it.Now you have a new proplem,putting all those lost miles on her(LOL).Have fun and maybe we will see you around there sometime.

Fantastic, guess I know what I'm gonna try next. My throttle body was full of oil when I took it apart, I cleaned my IAC but only with alcohol, I will also do ohms testing on it too.

Again, congrats and we're all glad to hear we helped someone.

Kinarfi

I originally pulled plug, cleaned with contact spray and then dielectric grease. Didn't help till I pulled sensor and contact sprayed the bullet looking plunger. Must have been loosing proper contect internally is my guess. Thank God fro small miracles and guys like you on this great forum.

Frankie