Quantcast

Gumball

BRIGHT WAS THE NIGHT!

Hi all,

I'm sure somewhere on the forum is the answer to the question, what is the Trooper alternator output? I just replaced two of the lights on my light bar with 55w HID lights. According to Mr. Ohm they would normally draw about 4.6 amps each.

After the initial ballast start up they are drawing about 3.6 amps. The question is whether or not the alternator will support running all the lights.

I'm going to try them out on a short ride tonight. I'll let you know how they work out. If the battery implodes that will probably answer the question.

If anyone knows the answer to this question I will appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance!

Gumball

Feedback -

The light worked great on my short night ride. The only problem is the stock lights look really dim compared to the HIDs.

I'm looking forward to a better test on a upcoming night ride. I'm going to California for the Eastern Sierra ATV Jamboree where they should get a good workout.

At $106.00 for the pair I figured I couldn't go to far wrong. The color is great, 6000k, and having the ballast built in makes installation a snap. It was interesting to see the care Joyner took in providing good connectors. I put dielectric grease in the connectors and was good to go.

Gumball

post-221-127446236615_thumb.jpg

I know the Renegade has a high output alternator to cope with 2 Head Lights 2 Fog lights and 7 Spotlights. that's 11 in total. I don't think the Trooper would have a less capable alternator so should be fine. They look really good, your have to buy two more now.

Cheers Mike.

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the assurance. I'm in the White Mountains of Arizona for the summer and don't have my Trooper Manual, not that it tells me much.

I do have a DC Digital Clamp meter but when looking at the read outs compared to the gauge on the dash it's difficult to know which one is correct.

Thanks again for the input.

Gumball

Feedback -

The light worked great on my short night ride. The only problem is the stock lights look really dim compared to the HIDs.

I'm looking forward to a better test on a upcoming night ride. I'm going to California for the Eastern Sierra ATV Jamboree where they should get a good workout.

At $106.00 for the pair I figured I couldn't go to far wrong. The color is great, 6000k, and having the ballast built in makes installation a snap. It was interesting to see the care Joyner took in providing good connectors. I put dielectric grease in the connectors and was good to go.

Gumball

That's a very good price on the HIDs, where did you get them? I put two on my T2 but mounted them on the front down tubes. I wired them with their with a switch. Had problems at first with only one light coming on, then I realized that you must have a relay switch in line. Now all is well. I also replace the two head light bulbs (H-3) two wires for high and low beam 35/35W with a Hella 100W bulb. I can not find a manufacture that makes a H-3 bulb with two element. anyway I am just using the high beam side of the switch. Thinking about taking off the overhead lights, they just don't seem to be doing much.

Here's the URL from my order. You should find what you are looking for there.

6000K HID Off Road Fog Lights Hummer/Land Rover/Jeep: eBay Motors (item 320527713273 end time May-12-10 14:26:13 PDT)

As to the use of a relay, I found so far that it's not necessary. HID lamps by their vary nature take a while to get up to full output. After the initial current surge they settle down. One of mine comes up a few seconds after the first one lights off.

With the lights mounted on the light bar you have the advantage of having them mounted higher than on the fenders. These lamps are so bright and the beam they throw is so focused they would be worthless as regular car lights.

Gumball.

Here's the URL from my order. You should find what you are looking for there.

6000K HID Off Road Fog Lights Hummer/Land Rover/Jeep: eBay Motors (item 320527713273 end time May-12-10 14:26:13 PDT)

As to the use of a relay, I found so far that it's not necessary. HID lamps by their vary nature take a while to get up to full output. After the initial current surge they settle down. One of mine comes up a few seconds after the first one lights off.

With the lights mounted on the light bar you have the advantage of having them mounted higher than on the fenders. These lamps are so bright and the beam they throw is so focused they would be worthless as regular car lights.

Gumball.

Gumball, Since you are just replacing two of the overhead lights, you are going through the relay that is already in the system. It is located in the fuse box in front of the passenger compartment.

D Postma

i ordered 8 130 watt light bulbs for my unit and slapped them in.

not a good idea at first .

i melted the fuses right to the fusebox

i had to run 4 separate relays and install a fuse box just for the lights .

i was in my trooper at night and being able to see half a mile with ease , i jumped into a rino with factory lights and it was scarry doin 65 at nightin that thing

we were barely able to see 50 feet or so .

with my lights night diving is fun. i had a lad in front of me on a quad and he could feel the heat on the his back about 50 to 75 feet in front of me .

i have factory housings on the roof with kc 130 watt bulbs i moved my lower head lights under the hood next to the winch .

they are now kc titaniums, since i ripped one off when they were up high

the cost of the ice blue bulbs were about 10$ a piece

the fuse box was 3$ from scrap yard

the relays are 30 amp and are 6$ a piece

well worth the price