Quantcast

rocmoc

Braking Systems - A dedicated Thread

My e-brake has never work correctly so I am turning them into turning brakes like I had on my dune buggies. For a e-brake I am going to install a micro-lock.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

My e-brake has never work correctly so I am turning them into turning brakes like I had on my dune buggies. For a e-brake I am going to install a micro-lock.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

My e-brake worked excellently in the beginning and would hold me on hills while I got the engine revved up and the clutch engaged and is something my injuries require me to have.

The Mico-Lock system would be nice be expensive, http://www.tsmmfg.com/mico_hydraulic_brake_lock.htm I've driven trucks with the Mico system and liked it, but looks like too much work and money for me, but still a good idea.

Then there is Lenny's set up, I'll let him detail that.

Kinarfi.

My e-brake worked excellently in the beginning and would hold me on hills while I got the engine revved up and the clutch engaged and is something my injuries require me to have.

The Mico-Lock system would be nice be expensive, http://www.tsmmfg.com/mico_hydraulic_brake_lock.htm I've driven trucks with the Mico system and liked it, but looks like too much work and money for me, but still a good idea.

Then there is Lenny's set up, I'll let him detail that.

Kinarfi.

I could see using two micro-locks, one for each back side and hook it up to work with both brakes on each side. Hook the 2 brakes together off the one line like I did on each side. Set up the steering handles so you can pull the right or left for turning or both at the same time for an e-brake. Then when you use your foot brake you would have double the stoping power on each side. It's not that hard to put another set of calipers on the front either. If your in 4x4, then your e-brake would hold all four wheels. If you remember, I have 2 calipers on each wheel for regular foot braking and my e-brake is now a disc on the front drive shaft like they used to do years ago. It's nice having brakes that I don't have to bear down on to stop on a steep hill. Having the e-brake on the drive shaft is nice because it goes through the differentials which give a 2.15:1 power increase making it possible to lock up all four wheels and skid to a stop on gravel. For you Kinarfi, I could see using an old parking brake, the ones that use to stick out below the dash with a T-handle. They used a cable which you could tie into the regular brake pedal to give you 3 ways to apply the brakes. By foot or pulling up with the handle turned so it doesn't stay up for use on hills while holding clutch and just pulled up for parking. Should be easy to find in a junk yard.

Lenny

On the mark Lenny! This is on the mod list but just tooooooo far down on the list.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

I am going to use a dune buggy hand brake setup.

I believe the E-brake in the old VW is part of the central tube. If my memory is correct we use to cut them off in the early days of dune buggies.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

Guess I shouldn't been surprised, House Of Hose wouldn't fix my brake line, flat refused even though they could have, "LIABILITY" and for them to build a new one was $75.00 so I looked at http://www.jmcmotors.us/my_account.php and it was only $29.21, brake pads were $11.40, per set I hope, ORDERED!!

Now to build some sort of visual, audio alarm for when I leave the brake on.

Kinarfi

Kinarfi.

Well I got my brake line in from JMC and got it installed with a new set of shoes and now it seems to doing it job again. Not sure how others bleed their brake systems, but when I had my airplane and bought brakes for it, they came with Plews oil can and some polyurethane tubing and you pumped fluid into the brake until it came out the master cylinder, it worked good because it was all uphill.

Found that can and cleaned it out and made a cap for the reservoir with gasket and put a fitting in the top and started pumping fluid with the oil can until it came out the brakes and it was as solid as it could be, no sponginess!!! The only thing better that I know of would be a brake bleeder pot. I remember pumping brakes until it got firm, someone else would bleed until the peddle hit floor, close the bleeder, pump, bleed, close, pump, bleed, close,........ until solid. Definitely took two people. This was doable solo and worked great and easily.

Kinarfi

Here's an idea for someone with machining abilities, no names, but if you take a set of calipers and machine a threaded lever into the back of the caliper that is attached to lever. you have your independent left or right braking set up. You'd need a right hand thread on the left and a left hand thread on the right.

Kinarfi

Yep, you're right, didn't know that stuff was out there, thanks and it probably works better to boot.

Kinarfi