Quantcast

drive shaft boot

ricksrb

Removed the skid plate to change the oil and noticed grease slung all over the plate.I found a crack in the boot on the rear diff end of the drive shaft between the trans and rear diff.Is there a replacement I can get from local auto supply? also does it require the trans to be removed to get the shaft out.Thanks in advance.Bummer,I was hoping to take her out this weekend.

Removed the skid plate to change the oil and noticed grease slung all over the plate.I found a crack in the boot on the rear diff end of the drive shaft between the trans and rear diff.Is there a replacement I can get from local auto supply? also does it require the trans to be removed to get the shaft out.Thanks in advance.Bummer,I was hoping to take her out this weekend.

The autoparts stores generally carry 2 types of shaft boots thar are designed to be universal in size. In other words you can trim them down to the shaft and Joint housing size you need. One type requires removing the shaft to install but the other, which is designed to wrap around and then snap closed, doesn't require shaft removal. Looks like you can take her out this weekend after all.

Lenny

The autoparts stores generally carry 2 types of shaft boots thar are designed to be universal in size. In other words you can trim them down to the shaft and Joint housing size you need. One type requires removing the shaft to install but the other, which is designed to wrap around and then snap closed, doesn't require shaft removal. Looks like you can take her out this weekend after all.

Lenny

I think I will try the easier of the two.Thanks,

http://www.utvboard.com/topic/1697-cv-boot-for-driveline/page__p__6766__fromsearch__1#entry6766

Below this post is the story of installation. "I found what looks like an exact fit. Polaris CV Boot Kit # 2203438, (PR-8061)."

It was an exact fit. Of the Highest quality, show NEVER fail.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

I saw the posts about it but seemed it went from drive line to axles.I then saw the post about how you changed yours out.I think I will try the universal wrap around,the other seems like more work then I feel up to at this time.Thanks,

FYI every time I've had to do anything to my boots, I just secure them with ty-raps, I've even secured them with nylon string, but then I know some pretty trick ways to use string that I learned from McDonald Aircraft, they use string instead of ty-raps because in an MD-11, they save enough weight for one more person to fly. Also, if something happens, the boot slips off instead of ripping apart, but it still keeps the grease and the joint clean and because the boots still good, you have a chance of a field fix, which I have had to do and I finished the day riding instead of going home.

Kinarfi

If you leave the ends of the ty-raps on instead of cutting them off, you can hear them hitting the frame like cards hitting the spokes on your bicycle, REMEMBER?? :lol::P

Rick, I was always talking about my dirveline boot only in the topic. Lenny was sharing what he found with the axles. I tried what Lenny shared but it didn't work on my driveline. Let us know if you are more successful than I was with the universal boots. I could not find one that had the end sizes that are required on the driveline. The Parts houses let me go in the back and try every one of them. This was at Checkers, a race shop, Auto Zone and another before I gave up and went to a Motorcycle / UTV dealer. Then I finally found what I needed. What you are going to run into is nothing will be as small as the small end of the boot. Only Polaris. Good luck!

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

Rick, I was always talking about my dirveline boot only in the topic. Lenny was sharing what he found with the axles. I tried what Lenny shared but it didn't work on my driveline. Let us know if you are more successful than I was with the universal boots. I could not find one that had the end sizes that are required on the driveline. The Parts houses let me go in the back and try every one of them. This was at Checkers, a race shop, Auto Zone and another before I gave up and went to a Motorcycle / UTV dealer. Then I finally found what I needed. What you are going to run into is nothing will be as small as the small end of the boot. Only Polaris. Good luck!

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

Well I stopped by a few part stores on the way home today and guess what..no luck as with the rest of you.I got home and pulled the drive shaft(not as hard as I thought).

Rocmoc, I Tried looking up a polaris dealer to get the boot with the part number you have and the only deale I could find around hear must be closed down.The number listed was disconnected and information had no listing.They used to be a large motorcycle/utv/jet ski dealer,Hahn Motorsports in Anaheim.Anyway will try again tomorrow to find a place.

Rick, What about a on-line source? Should be one that can ship it to you. Weight is light so shipping shouldn't be too much. Cost was just under $30 which seemed a bit high. BUT the quality is excellent so should never have to replace and less you tear it up like I did (rear diff broke loose from mounts allowing the dirveline to beat against frame ripping the boot). If you are in Orange, Bert's in San Diemas (sp). Shouldn't be too hard to find a source in LA area. If you are in LH, Phoenix, Tucson or Las Vegas.

Good luck,

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

Rocmoc,I might end up ordering it but would like to take care of it this weekend if possible.Berts will be one of my calls this morning as well as Mountain Motorsports in Ontario,both places about a 50-60 mile round trip but worth it if they have it in stock.Hope to change both boots on the drive shaft while its out.

Kinarfi, I would rather change it out to a better one since Rocmoc says the Polaris one is better quality.I only have a little over 500 miles on it and dont want to do this again in another 500 or so if I can avoid it.

will keep you posted.Thanks guys,

Well I called all the Polaris dealers around and found one in the city of Bellflower at Bellflower Motorsports about a 45 mile round trip and they hit me up for $36 bucks.Will go online and order another so I can replace both.

Rocmoc,

You are correct, that one fits very good and is much better quality.

Well I stopped by a few part stores on the way home today and guess what..no luck as with the rest of you.I got home and pulled the drive shaft(not as hard as I thought).

Rocmoc, I Tried looking up a polaris dealer to get the boot with the part number you have and the only deale I could find around hear must be closed down.The number listed was disconnected and information had no listing.They used to be a large motorcycle/utv/jet ski dealer,Hahn Motorsports in Anaheim.Anyway will try again tomorrow to find a place.

ricksrb did you have to pull your diff out to get the drive shaft out

I'm confused, to clarify or get verified, the drive line or drive shaft go from tranny to diff, front to rear or vice versa but do NOT have boots.

Axles go side to side, diff to wheel, and do have boots, can be removed without undoing diff.

The original post said drive shaft boot, Is this something the T4s or am I just misreading the posts?

Kinarfi

The rear driveline from the trans to the rear diff is a CV jointed shaft with two boots. The front driveline from the trans to the front diff is the original style with the u-joints and no boots. Yes, all axles have CV joints and boots. The boots on the driveline is NOT the same as the axles. The universal boots that Lenny spoke of will work on the axles as the shaft is a larger dia like a car but will NOT work on the driveline as the shaft dia is small like a UTV. Ricks problem boot is on the driveline.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

The rear driveline from the trans to the rear diff is a CV jointed shaft with two boots. The front driveline from the trans to the front diff is the original style with the u-joints and no boots. Yes, all axles have CV joints and boots. The boots on the driveline is NOT the same as the axles. The universal boots that Lenny spoke of will work on the axles as the shaft is a larger dia like a car but will NOT work on the driveline as the shaft dia is small like a UTV. Ricks problem boot is on the driveline.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

Makes sense, CV joints need lots of grease, guess I better take a look tomorrow, since I need to change all oils anyway, engine, diffs & tranny.