Quantcast

was changing the oil and happened to notice a hose clamp not where it was supposed to be. Turns out clamp came off reducer on hose from filter and was sucking dust in.I removed throttle body and intake and there is plenty of dust in them. Other then cleanning them out any suggestions on what else i should do? As i said i was in the process of changing oil and filter. I have not noticed any loss of power or anything else as far as it running.

Guest Lenny

Sounds like you may be ok but I would flush out the intake stuff as good as possible. I even caulk around most of my intake connections that use hose clamps just in case the hose gets folded a bit in a spot which I did find once.

With the hotels that Rocmoc brings, we may have to stand his on end. In my case, mine is about the same size rather it's end or it's side or upright.

Lenny

Sounds like you may be ok but I would flush out the intake stuff as good as possible. I even caulk around most of my intake connections that use hose clamps just in case the hose gets folded a bit in a spot which I did find once.

With the hotels that Rocmoc brings, we may have to stand his on end. In my case, mine is about the same size rather it's end or it's side or upright.

Lenny

I know some have reversed their intake into the upward possition but was looking at it and dont see how the bolt pattern would work. Was there a need to re-drill holes?

Guest Lenny

Yes you have to redrill but it is almost to easy. If I remember correctly, the first hole from the rear on the stainless mounting surface gets drilled about the same distance from the bottom as it is originally from the top. The second and third hole can stay the same and the 4th hole is flipped like the first. The forth hole requires welding a small tab extension to the stainless plate to catch the 4th bolt. Make a gasket templet to fit the aluminum plentum to match to the stainless to match things up. Don't use the gasket as it probably doesn't fit either side exactely. At the same time match your intake ports. also easy to do when things are already out. Everything is so much nicer to work with once flipped.

Lenny

Yes you have to redrill but it is almost to easy. If I remember correctly, the first hole from the rear on the stainless mounting surface gets drilled about the same distance from the bottom as it is originally from the top. The second and third hole can stay the same and the 4th hole is flipped like the first. The forth hole requires welding a small tab extension to the stainless plate to catch the 4th bolt. Make a gasket templet to fit the aluminum plentum to match to the stainless to match things up. Don't use the gasket as it probably doesn't fit either side exactely. At the same time match your intake ports. also easy to do when things are already out. Everything is so much nicer to work with once flipped.

Lenny

I may just have to wait on doing that until after the jamboree.Just to many other things going on right now.

Thank you Lenny,

2156453390104110397GNKlzC_th.jpg 2947786050104110397sJCcDJ_th.jpg 2637387930104110397FYGkwl_th.jpg

A sheet gasket material and add a bolt hole in the middle worked for me. I tried to figure out how to put a bolt in the ends and couldn't see an easy way, so I didn't, and it seem fine to me. 2714107510104110397LEFcpP_th.jpg

I had a whistle in the manifold area once when I had hooked a vacuum to the air intake and was getting ready to take it apart and had my wife listen to it and she could hear it better and it was not in the gasket like I thought, bad hearing!!!

2156453390104110397GNKlzC_th.jpg 2947786050104110397sJCcDJ_th.jpg 2637387930104110397FYGkwl_th.jpg

A sheet gasket material and add a bolt hole in the middle worked for me. I tried to figure out how to put a bolt in the ends and couldn't see an easy way, so I didn't, and it seem fine to me. 2714107510104110397LEFcpP_th.jpg

I had a whistle in the manifold area once when I had hooked a vacuum to the air intake and was getting ready to take it apart and had my wife listen to it and she could hear it better and it was not in the gasket like I thought, bad hearing!!!

Thank you kinarfi for the photos.For some reason i was under the impression that the whole assembly got fliped,aluminum plentum and stainless tubes but i see according to the photos it is just the plentum.

I don't know about anybody else but when I flipped my intake the IAC sensor was to high the rear deck lid hit it. I had to turn mine sideways to cure problem but it worked out good for me because it posistioned the throttle so that I could use the stock cable mount all I had to do was bend it a little.

Your deck lid is differient than mine the plate is welded on the bottom of my frame where as yours looks to be on the top side. Yours looks like aluminum too or it's just shinny.

Not sure about kinarfis but mine is a plastic and bolted to the top of the frame,I think that was the way they all originally came. So if yours is welded to the bottom is the cross bracing exposed on the top of it when lid is closed?

Nope the first fifty Troopers had the solid metal welded. I have one of the first Troopers and they made the change after to try and save wieght and ease of construction. lowgear, you must have an early '08. Is that true? Is your gas tank in the front because again only in the first fifty. Only other option, my dealer was going to let me trade my lid off my '08 for the newer lid. I declined. I have had my Trooper since '08.

rocmoc n AZ./Mexico

Nope the first fifty Troopers had the solid metal welded. I have one of the first Troopers and they made the change after to try and save wieght and ease of construction. lowgear, you must have an early '08. Is that true? Is your gas tank in the front because again only in the first fifty. Only other option, my dealer was going to let me trade my lid off my '08 for the newer lid. I declined. I have had my Trooper since '08.

rocmoc n AZ./Mexico

Was it welded on the bottom side?

Yes I have one of the first fifty, gas tank in front rear deck lid is steel and welded on the underside of the frame. I bought mine used but the guy that had it before me fixed most if not all that the early ones had wrong with them. the only thing that I broke was the rear drive shaft I replaced it with the newer one with the cv joints. The only thing that I hav n't been able to track down is the engine surge that I have had for about 9 or 10 months.

Guest Lenny

That is a maybe on both items but my guess is yes on both. The ECU may have a different tune but should still work. Don't think you would hurt anything by trying it. If it was me, I would tryt it but I have toasted things in the past doing that too.

Lenny