Quantcast

bearings

Ok thanx ya I know if the bearing just slides out then its a hub issue.... I have been doing maintenance on it and I had the front jacked up theres a bit of movement up down and side to side and when I look at the axle from the other side while moving it it appears to look loose. I dont recall hearing any noise but I have also donr wheel bearings on nissan pathfinders and trucks that to much play and not any real noise. Im gonna check make sure the axle nut hasnt backed off at all as well. When I replaced my R/R wheel bearing I had a bit of play in it never really any noise that I had heard, and I use a large socket and hammer to knock it out of the hub then had to knock it back in the same way. Anybody know if the hub/spindle is expensive to replace. Thanx you guys for all the help

Guest Lenny

If your bearing is loose in the spindle housing, I would think that you could get the housing chrome plated to add thickness. The Chrome plating process puts on a thickness based on the time it is in the plating vat so thickness can be closely controlled. Go about .001-,002" inches over and then hone to size. probably about .0005" - .001" smaller then the bearing, check with a bearing supplier. I've never done this but know it is done. The plater could tell you the best plating process to use, maybe something other then chrome. I wouldn't galvanise it or use a zink plating as it probably would be too soft. Don't know what the cost would be but can't imagine it being too expensive as it's a low labor process. It's mostly time in the vat. Just a thought should a new spindle housing be expensive. Thinking out loud here.

Lenny

Guest Lenny

Charlie, the play could easily be in the bearing itself. Bearings are designed to not have any play but instead be somewhat loaded or a bit tight, called preloading, I'm not talking about the bearings in your cheap wheel barrow but an industrial level bearing like a car would use. On a cars front spindle you adjust the preload by tightening the nut properly but on self contained bearings the bearing is preset at the factory but it depends on being pressed into a housing which slightly shrinks the bearing OD which does the final preloading. If it's not pressed in, there could easily be a speck of play. I wouldn't worry about it but the bearing would last longer properly preloaded.

Lenny