Quantcast

Kinarfi

Engine won't idle

I think my IAC may have died, does any one have one they are not using that I can borrow or buy to see if it's the IAC or some other problem. These Troopers don't have an idle adjustment screw, do they?

Any other suggestions

Kinarfi

They do have an idle adustment screw. Disconnect your IAC and set your idle with the idle adj. screw and see how that goes. Currently I don't use my IAC. They are nice in colder weather for warmup but other then that the Troopers don't use it for much. You can do the same thing with your foot on the throttle padal.

Lenny

I have one you can try, but as Lenny said it is really only useful in cold weather. Once it warms up it will run fine, I haven't had mine hooked up for two years I just reset my idle with the idle screw works fine. I will send you a PM to contact me.

Evidently, My Trooper has never used the idle adjustment and I didn't think it had one, but this is what it looks like, 2300398650104110397agalUy_th.jpg 2587027120104110397QDwHSM_th.jpg and now that I have it engaged and working, i had to make several other adjustments also. I had to shorten the cable by 1/4", I must have been idling on the IAC all along because I'm certain that the butterfly used to close completely. Anyway, I now idle again and that is GOOD.

by the way, those photos were taken using a mirror,

Kinarfi

What is the IAC? Is it the sensor located at the bottom of the throttle body? Idle Air Control? Having surge problem and wont' start problem. Anybody have a diagram of the various sensors and what is what? Thanks. Steve

IAC is still hooked up, but I think it died some time back which is what forced me to fine the idle screw.

What is the IAC? Is it the sensor located at the bottom of the throttle body?YES Idle Air Control? Having surge problem and wont' start problem. Anybody have a diagram of the various sensors and what is what? Thanks. Steve

2645671480104110397FQplBB_th.jpgremember that my manifold has been flipped, the device on top & left is the IAC and the device on the side & center is the IAT/MAP sensor.

Inside the throttle body, there is an air passage around the butterfly and that passage is closed off by the IAC. If the butterfly closes fully, the IAC has to open to allow the idle air in, but if the idle air is controlled by the idle set screw, the IAC closes up and only adds to the air supply when needed.

Having surge problem and wont' start problem Suggest unplugging IAC and set idle with set screw.

Kinarfi

VERY CLEAR. Thanks Kinarfi. By the way, what's that cylinder you have in the foreground? And I like your limiting strap setup.

Did you notice any issue with having the IAC still hooked while using the idle screw?

No, but like I said, I think my IAC is dead.

That cylinder is the reservoir for my shock.

2462247330104282158pMBoEH_th.jpg I have put a twist in the strap since this photo so it clears the exhaust a little better

2645671480104110397FQplBB_th.jpgremember that my manifold has been flipped, the device on top & left is the IAC and the device on the side & center is the IAT/MAP sensor.

Inside the throttle body, there is an air passage around the butterfly and that passage is closed off by the IAC. If the butterfly closes fully, the IAC has to open to allow the idle air in, but if the idle air is controlled by the idle set screw, the IAC closes up and only adds to the air supply when needed.

Having surge problem and wont' start problem Suggest unplugging IAC and set idle with set screw.

Kinarfi

why did you flip your manifold ? is it something that added any power ?

It was pretty easy to do andat the time, I was having a problem with oil blow by due to dusted rings and as the oil would pass from the valve cover to the intake manifold, it soaked the MAP, so flipping it let the oil get sucked in and burned. It also moved the butterfly up and forward and made it easier to access the throttle and the starter and the wiring and closer to the snorkeled air filter. I doubt there was any performance changes, just easier access to several things. I like it!!!