Quantcast

No pressure in rear shocks

Hi all,

I tried to check the pressure in the rear shocks of my SV 1100. When I did, both sides just bled out to 0. The left side was at about 65 lbs. and the right at about 80 lbs. When I put the gauge on the valve it registered pressure but just bled down right away. Maybe my gauge is bad.

I did some searching on the forum but didn't find much so I'm asking, can I use air or do I have to take it somewhere to get nitrogen and how much pressure?

Thanks,

Bruce

Nitrogen or Argon works but you can put air in and it will work ok for the most part. I don't think that the differance will show up unless you run it real hard in the rough stuff. You can't really check the pressure on a shock without losing all the gas because there is such a little amount in the shock. The oinly way to get it to the right pressure is to set your supply source to the pressure you want and then charge it. I set the pressure on my argon tank I use for tig welding to about 170 pounds and then charge the shocks, being sure to quickly remove the nozzle from the shock to minimize the amount that can escape. When I was doing a lot of shock tuning where I had them off and on a lot, I just used air and then switched to Argon when I was done.

Lenny

That's basically what I did also, but I used a 130 psi air compressor and set the pressure regulator as high as it would go (about 100psi) and then just help the chuck on the valve for a while so it could push as much in as possible and pulled off real quick.

From what I understand, the nitrogen molecule is much larger than the O2 molecule, so it doesn't react to heat as much, but what we breath is mostly nitrogen 78% & O2 21% any way, I just us air, if I had lots of money riding on the shock performance, like an Indy driver, I'd use nitrogen, but I'm not and I don't.

Ok what I learned with my air shock set up is that there is a small amount of shock oil in it and the shocks use nitrogen reason being is the nitro stays cooler than the air and if u wanna say more stable. Regular will hear up faster and can lead to moisture with temp changes ! I don't have my own nitro set up yet but what I do have is a gauge that u can fill and release nitro on its made by fox racing and u can also buy it from poly performance online it's 75$ my gauge goes from 0-600 it has a valve on it that u use so u can check nitro then once u r undone u release it then the guage very minimal loss wen used correctly

Thanks guys. I talked to Casey at JMC Powersports and he didn't recommend using air. He said the gas actually mixes with the oil in the shock and air has a little moisture and will contaminate the oil. Doing some searching about the use of Argon looks like it should work. My neighbor has a Mig welder with Argon but I think it is a mixture with some other gas. I'll check it out. I did find a place in Yuma which is about an hour and a half away who will fill them for $10 a piece if I take them off. That might be the best route.

Bruce

Found this on oneof teh desert racing sites.

"As a former hydraulics mech on military aircraft, we were taught that nitrogen was used because it was clean and dry and therefor prevented corrosion and enhanced the life of the component. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use air if I needed to finish a race, after all air is mostly nitrogen anyway. Nitrogen is not somehow immune from the gas law....when it gets hot it tries to expand just like every other gas, therefor you are going to see pressure increases in hot shocks no matter what gas you use. Just like the myth of using nitrogen in your tires, total scam."

What he didn't say is that the moisture in air is what causes the majority of the extra pressure build up. Without the moisture the two gases would be about the same. The gases will build pressure too. If you start out with say a shock that is 75 degrees, and you bring that to 150 degrees, the pressure of the gas will double. So I guess if you filled your shocks on a humid day in Florida you would have more moisture then if you did it in Arizonia when it has very dry air. You could always put a moisture seperator on your compessor. Pressure build isn't going to be an issue unless you get your shocks hot.

There seems to be two view points on this. I agree that nitrogen or argon is best but I will continue to use regular compressor air if I'm going to have my shocks on and off for tuning reasons. I do fill them with argon when I'm done tuning. If I was racing, I would put new oil in and charge with nitrogen (or argon) before a race.

Lenny

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By aefron88
      Since I've seen some questions on this I took some pictures and will provide instructions on a valve adjustment for the UT400. This should be the same for the 550's and other various Coleman/Hisun single cylinder models with the cylinder slanted aft.
      I have seen several people ask of it is really necessary, and read several reports of valves being out of adjustment from the factory. My valves were .004" intake, and .010" exhaust with about 5 hrs on the machine.  I've seen different numbers thrown around for factory spec, but I decided to go with 0.005".
      This is called valve lash. What is is is a gap between the rocker arm and the valve then the camshaft isnt opening the valve. Why does it matter? If it's too large the valve doesn't open all the way, if it's too small the valve dosent close. This can cause valve damage (overheating) as well as loss of engine power (burned fuel is going out exhaust rather than pushing the piston dow).
      Tools required : 5MM Allen wrench, 10MM box wrench, needle nose pliers, flat feeler gauge set, rags
      First you need to remove the fan cover on the passenger side. There is a cooling vent hose on the back side, remove the hose clamp and slide it off. From there there are 4x 10mm bolts holding the cover. The forward ones can be accessed from under the seat.
      Next remove the spark plug from the drivers side. Carefully wiggle the spark plug wire off. Grip it as low as possible and give it a little twisting motion as you pull it off to help free it. Its a tight fit for a socket, but there is a sheet metal wrench in the toolkit that fits it. Unscrew the plug and set it aside. This allows you to spin the motor over freely with no compression to fight. When you reassemble this is a good opportunity to switch to an NGK iridium plug for better performance/less fouling DR8EIX)
      Next you need to remove the intake and exhaust valve covers. The intake us the forward one. There are 3x 5MM Allen screws to remove. The Exhaust is the rear with 2x 5MM Allen bolts. Both covers have O-Rings instead of gaskets and are reusable. When you remove the rear be careful and use your rags as there will be oil that drips out.
      Next up we need to spin the motor over to top dead center. Grab each rocker arm and give em a little wiggle up and down. Spin the engine over by grabbing the fan with your other hand. Spin the engine over until both rockers have some wiggle and are loose.

Once both rockers are loose slide the feeler gauge in like shown above. Try different feelers as needed to determine your starting spec. You should feel some drag but still be able to move the feeler without too much force.
      If you need to adjust, use the 10MM wrench to slightly loosen the locknut, then with the correct feeler gauge in place, tighten the top square nut while wiggling the feeler in and out. Once you have it right you need to tighten the 10mm lock nut without moving the square head bolt. Once the lock nut is tight recheck the clearance.
      That's it, button everything back up and make sure you have it all reassembled before running it again.
      If you find this helpful give me a thumbs up or comment. If you have any questions or need more help let me know. If there's interest maybe I'll do some more of these
    • By lowgear52
      Does anyone out there have a rear differential for a trooper for sale?
    • By CarlB
      I have a 2022 Hisun 750 Sector which comes with a locked rear differential. Was wondering if it would be possible to install an unlocking differential.  I see that there are some Hisun made machines that come with the unlocking rear diff, such as Cub Cadet Challenger, some of the Massimos, and probably others. My concern is whether these would be a direct bolt on, using the original axles, drive shaft, and of course matching gear ratio. I've tried to match up part numbers but it seems every brand has their own number system even for parts that I know are identical. If anyone has ever done this swap or has any information about the whether these unlocking rear diffs are comparable to the Sector, I'd appreciate your input.
    • By mcraigchr
      I realize that many of you do not have diesel machines.  For those that do, this is for you:
      Just wanted to post my experience this past week.  Here in Texas, we had pretty good dip in temps.  For 4 days it did not get above 25.  At night, it was single digits or close to it.  I always put Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer in the storage tank (30 gallon).  And up until this tank I was using Power Service (white bottle) for anti-gel.  Never had an issue.
      This tank, however, I switched to Stabil All season (anti gel).  It is supposed to good down to -40.  Zap.  That is a big fat lie.  I put in twice the amount called for in the instructions.  Result was less than optimal.  I drove the SxS 100 feet (to go get the mail) and it died.  I looked at the fuel bowl and it was a cloudy, wax substance.  So, the Stabil did not work.  That said, I'm not sure that I ever tested the Power Service in the same manner.  So I am not saying that one is better than the other.
      What are your experiences?  Are these products inferior?  What do you folks in the northern states / Canada use?  Am I missing something?
      CC
    • By DeWayne Stanley
      Got a new RTV XG850 Sidekick and wanted to know if anyone have any problems with theirs.