Quantcast

2014 Kawasaki Mule Brake Adjustment - Hand Controls

Legless

Unusual topic, I guess.

I'm unable to walk and just had hand controls installed on my new Mule.

I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the brakes (freeplay, hydraulics, etc) to increase "responsiveness" of brakes. I need them to engage more quickly. In other words, I have to really lay on the hand controls hard to get the brakes to activate. The brake pedal (via the hand control) has to move quite a distance before the brakes start to engage (and I am unable to lock them up). I guess I need to make the brakes more "touchy". The hand control system is far from perfect, but it's all I've got.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

KC

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Thanks for replying.

I'm using Sure-Grip Left Hand "Push Rock" Hand Controls (SG-R100). Great product.

http://www.utvpartsandaccessories.com/sure_grip_hand_controls_kawasaki.htm

The throttle side works flawlessly (you pull the lever to actuate). The brake side, however, requires the operator to "push" the lever "down" (toward the floor/front axle). This takes some force since you are trying to move the brake pedal forward quite a distance using a downward force with "not-quite-enough-leverage" (at least for me). I'm trying to figure out how to get the brakes to engage more quickly with a bit less force/forward movement.

http://suregrip-hvl.com/hand-controls/push-rock.html

Clear as mud?

Thanks for any ideas.

KC

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

If I'm understanding this correctly. It sounds like you're trying to accomplish the same job with your upper body, that's typically done with the much stronger muscles of the lower body. Some kind of leverage is needed. Have you contacted the manufacturer of this kit? Maybe they've seen this before, and could help. In the meantime, how about using the parking brake at the same time, while braking? Or maybe adjusting the engine brake, or a combination of all the above?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.