Welcome to UTV BOARD - UTV Forum, Side by Side Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Willy M

Leaking tires, valve stems??

55 posts in this topic

Well, back on topic. Soapy water works every time. If it's not working...see above. If it's not working, then you need to change tactics. It WILL work. I've had problems before, try using more pressure for the test. It's not gonna hurt the tire to use 30 lbs. or so for the test. If needed, remove the tire, hose it down. Get it clean. Then soak it down with soapy water. Wait approximately 2 minutes...look for small foam spots. They'll be about the size of a dime, or quarter. There's not always a big bubble to help find the hole. Slow leaks are tough sometimes, but there's no leak that's too small. Don't forget to soap the stem, and the Schrader valve also. Side note... Tire shops don't typically want to fix these type tires. So have them find the leak, if needed, mark the spot, then have them break the bead. You patch the hole! It's the easiest way! But you really need to know before hand what you're dealing with. Good luck!

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

no jumps, installing port injection, the carb just won't work right.

Just saw Kenfains post. I tried the soapy water but it was a windy day so didn't work well. I always spit over the valve to see if it's leaking and for good measure replaced the core. It's a slow leak, I may well use Travis suggestion of stop leak even though it can unbalance a tire somewhat. 

So far I've been chasing my tail trying to find the leak. The Polaris doesn't have 15 hours on it yet. I forget that even new vehicles can have problems, ones even more annoying then regular wear issues.

It still bothers me that the valve stems can be easily rotated in the rim. Anyone else have valves that rotate but don't lose air??

found the leak. Should have done this first (as usual). I overinflated the tire and heard the air leak. I've never seen a small piece of crushed limestone puncture a tire before but there it was a small knife tipped shaped piece of limestone stuck into the tire. What are the odds????