Welcome to UTV BOARD - UTV Forum, Side by Side Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Travis

Loctited Bolts

11 posts in this topic

What are y'alls thought on loctiting these bolts, Crankcase cover bolts and head bolts?

@kenfain

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

I'd just torque em down.

1 person likes this

Well the thing is about torque them down, For one, they're 16 yrs old, 2 you cant buy replacements if one snaps off....

Any kind of liquid, or anything that changes how those bolts slide against those threads will change how it torques. I've broken off bolts using a torque wrench while still within specs, when I lightly lubed lug nuts n stuff. Even anti sieze has caused problems for me in the past.

My recommendation is make sure their completely dry, holes also, and just torque them down. You can't use less torque just because they're old bolts. And you sure don't want to take chances, with aluminum threads. So imho, that's the best way to be safe.

Also, these bolts typically have a pattern that must be followed when torqued.

'Bout to head out the Machine shop, Hopefully they can take the guides out. If they dont work, i've been talking with Power Toys of Texas, here in Cut n Shoot.

Pray for me!

He shouldn't have any trouble,he's got all the tools, and experience. I wouldn't go up there till I could take new guides, let him install at the same time.

He said the EXACT same thing. Mainly i took it up there so he'd know what to do before hand...

I did! He said its a defect in the cast, and he ran it through a  vacuum machine thingy.

57 minutes ago, kenfain said:

Have him look at that crack

Ewww, Gross. 😁

Once i get the new guides in Im going to back it back to take out the guides, and install them, He'll also re assemble the head too.