Quantcast

Coleman outfitter 550

Blackwellok

I purchased my 550 from Tractor Supply in November 2019.  I have 52 hours on it now.  

You commented on my oil changing shenanigans I noticed.  Other than purchasing the jaw style style filter wrench and using Mobil 1 10w-40 4t (2.5 qts), my other suggestion would be alter your maintenance schedule from what the manual states.  When I changed the factory oil at ~33 hours, it was opaque turd colored and had gritty particulate in it.  Not good.  I know some of that is expected during break in, but it was way nastier than any other break in oil I have changed on other units I own.  The manual, iirc, states to change the oil at 50 hours, then every 200 hours after.  I intend to not follow that.  I will not go more than 50 hours unless I see a dramatic improvement in the quality of the used oil.  I also use a blackstone labs to give me a break down of the oil for my other toys.  I suggest getting the lab work done at your second oil change.  It will at least let you know what you might be in for down the road.

Also, you need to grease the zerks.  And there are  A LOT of them.  Some are very difficult, if not impossible, to get to.  Someone should be beaten for that.

The only issue I have had with mine other than the oil filter fiasco is a dragging brake.  I still have not fixed it.  Maybe some day. 

I found a filter wrench that is like a socket and it fit over the end of the filter. I then just put a 3/8" ratchet wrench on it and it came off very easily, which I was pretty surprised. I agree with the accelerated oil change interval, especially during earlier periods. I use Royal Purple in all my vehicles and  have had great luck. I too have used Blackstone, and think I will send in a sample at next oil change. Mine is also a 2019 purchased from Tractor Supply.

Shifting can be tricky some times but I believe I can do some adjusting on the linkages and remedy that. Can't figure out why they used the design they did for shifting rather than using one shift cable ???

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi

glad to find some other Coleman 550 owners.  Hope you can give me some advice.  What are you using for the inline fuel  filter?   Mine didn’t come with one installed when I bought it new.  Coleman sent me a black painted metal filter and two clamps,  there’s no flow indicator marked on it, just a sideways paint pen marking.  Travis on another thread suggested using a Wix 33972 filter.  Have you used that filter?  Did your machine come with the filter installed?  Here’s the photos I posted on the  other thread.  Thanks to .Travis for suggestions the Wix filter might work well.  I’m unsure about using a filter that isn’t clearly marked for direction of flow.  

I agree about changing oil every 50 hours.  I called Coleman and asked them about the flow direction…. They had no idea. 

thanks 

953B8F28-7394-4AF6-8E19-C134BCC7347D.jpeg

I tried a Wix initially (can't remember part number) but it did not hold up. I ended up ordering one from Summit Racing part# TNK-FF-10. Its an inline 10 micron filter designed for up to 60 psi. Have not had a problem since installing that filter and replacing all the fuel lines. Before that, I would get a fouled injector about every tank of gas.

Mine had nothing other than the screen in the tank. I was fouling injectors like every tank of gas. I finally drained/cleaned the fuel tank, replaced all the fuel lines and installed the inline filter. That was a year ago and I have not had any issues since then.

Sorry, forgot to answer one of your questions. I really did not find anything concerning in the tank when I cleaned it so I thought, while I had everything torn down, why not go ahead and replace the fuel lines too. I already had a roll of high quality fuel line in my shop.