Quantcast

Coleman outfitter 550

I purchased my 550 from Tractor Supply in November 2019.  I have 52 hours on it now.  

You commented on my oil changing shenanigans I noticed.  Other than purchasing the jaw style style filter wrench and using Mobil 1 10w-40 4t (2.5 qts), my other suggestion would be alter your maintenance schedule from what the manual states.  When I changed the factory oil at ~33 hours, it was opaque turd colored and had gritty particulate in it.  Not good.  I know some of that is expected during break in, but it was way nastier than any other break in oil I have changed on other units I own.  The manual, iirc, states to change the oil at 50 hours, then every 200 hours after.  I intend to not follow that.  I will not go more than 50 hours unless I see a dramatic improvement in the quality of the used oil.  I also use a blackstone labs to give me a break down of the oil for my other toys.  I suggest getting the lab work done at your second oil change.  It will at least let you know what you might be in for down the road.

Also, you need to grease the zerks.  And there are  A LOT of them.  Some are very difficult, if not impossible, to get to.  Someone should be beaten for that.

The only issue I have had with mine other than the oil filter fiasco is a dragging brake.  I still have not fixed it.  Maybe some day. 

I found a filter wrench that is like a socket and it fit over the end of the filter. I then just put a 3/8" ratchet wrench on it and it came off very easily, which I was pretty surprised. I agree with the accelerated oil change interval, especially during earlier periods. I use Royal Purple in all my vehicles and  have had great luck. I too have used Blackstone, and think I will send in a sample at next oil change. Mine is also a 2019 purchased from Tractor Supply.

Shifting can be tricky some times but I believe I can do some adjusting on the linkages and remedy that. Can't figure out why they used the design they did for shifting rather than using one shift cable ???

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi

glad to find some other Coleman 550 owners.  Hope you can give me some advice.  What are you using for the inline fuel  filter?   Mine didn’t come with one installed when I bought it new.  Coleman sent me a black painted metal filter and two clamps,  there’s no flow indicator marked on it, just a sideways paint pen marking.  Travis on another thread suggested using a Wix 33972 filter.  Have you used that filter?  Did your machine come with the filter installed?  Here’s the photos I posted on the  other thread.  Thanks to .Travis for suggestions the Wix filter might work well.  I’m unsure about using a filter that isn’t clearly marked for direction of flow.  

I agree about changing oil every 50 hours.  I called Coleman and asked them about the flow direction…. They had no idea. 

thanks 

953B8F28-7394-4AF6-8E19-C134BCC7347D.jpeg

I tried a Wix initially (can't remember part number) but it did not hold up. I ended up ordering one from Summit Racing part# TNK-FF-10. Its an inline 10 micron filter designed for up to 60 psi. Have not had a problem since installing that filter and replacing all the fuel lines. Before that, I would get a fouled injector about every tank of gas.

Mine had nothing other than the screen in the tank. I was fouling injectors like every tank of gas. I finally drained/cleaned the fuel tank, replaced all the fuel lines and installed the inline filter. That was a year ago and I have not had any issues since then.

Sorry, forgot to answer one of your questions. I really did not find anything concerning in the tank when I cleaned it so I thought, while I had everything torn down, why not go ahead and replace the fuel lines too. I already had a roll of high quality fuel line in my shop.

• 2 months later...

Recently purchased a Coleman 550 Outfitter from Tractor Supply with 30 hours now and all is good. Should I pray?

Is the Coleman 550 Outfitter the same as a HiSun 550 except for tire rims, front grill and badging? I want to purchase a rear fabric roll up window for rear of cab to keep dust out of cabin when cruising and all I can find is one for a HiSun 550. 

I feel the same way.  Is it the gold standard?  No…. Is it Made in .China, yes …. But sadly, so is my TV, cell phone, boots, etc….  I’d prefer to buy USA.    I bought a much more expensive name brand UTV several years before this one.  Then I needed to order all the extras like a roof, windshield, cvt guards, belly plate, mirrors, turn signals etc….  And it was in the shop 7 of the first 12 months.  I’m hoping this Coleman lasts, so I try not to abuse it, or torture test it… so far, zero days in the shop, after several years.  I’ve gotten a lot of use out of it.  I can’t care for the noise level, and wish it was a multi cylinder.  I run it mostly in low range,  per the advice I’ve been given about the clutch.  If I need to move out, it’s simple to change to high range.  With the price point I’m more than happy.  (So far). 😀

Howdy folks, thought I would chime in to give an update. Since I changed out all the fuel lines and added the 10 micron inline fuel filter, I have not had any issues. for around the last 250 miles Now have 660 miles on it. I bought a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 back in February (they are sure proud of those things !!). I had put the Coleman up for sale a week ago and decided after a few days that I was just going to keep it. There are many features on the Coleman that I like over the Honda. We have 9 acres so having two is an added benefit

4 minutes ago, Doc IV said:

Great feedback Ridge Runner.   I am curious about your comment running in Low range. I use mine mostly going about 15-25 MPH in my community with some off-road local fun. What should I be concern with about my clutch using High gear?  Thanks

Howdy Doc, I use mine pretty much exclusively on my property and would say I hardly ever get over 15 mph. I rarely use high range. If we decide to ride around neighborhood is the only time I venture out of low range. 

Hey Tejun,  I use my new Coleman just the opposite of you. I mostly use High Gear for tooling around the hood as I only have 1 acre but go into our community's Nature Preserve Trail to have fun. My Coleman is only a week old so I appreciate all the input I can get from fellow owners.  

• Like 1

Doc IV

I’ve been told that running it below 25 mph in high range is harder on the wet clutch, and will cause early failure,  running it faster in high range is fine.  I don’t know if it’s true, but a friend ran his HIsun 700 in only high range, and burned up his wet clutch in 100 hours.  Motor Cycle  Doctor says it has to do with a combination of low oil fill, and running it in high range.  So far following that advice, mine runs fine.  Most of my use is under 25 Mph,   When I intend go faster, I put it in high range.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doc IV said:

Thanks for the clarification on High and Low Range Ridge Runner. I will start using Low until 20-25 then go into High Range. Another question is do you need to fully stop before switching into one or the other?

Yes, absolutely . It is very important to come to a complete stop

• Thanks 1