Quantcast

E-Brake Adjustment, MSU 800 2021

Blair

Hey Crew,

Can anyone give me any info on how to access the hand brake adjustment on a Massimo 2021 MSU 800? I didn't know if you remove the seat/console OR skid plate. Appreciate any help. Hope some of you are getting out today, Spring is here!

The assemblers (Coleman, Massimo, Bennche, Odes, et al ) of these vehicles change their manufacturing sources more often than most of us change socks--also, for them "assemble" generally  means putting on their brand's stickers.

Massimo re-sources their models often and has in recent years used at least six manufacturers (per EPA "can't hide" data¹--it's interesting stuff) some have produced only one or two models, others have produced numerous models, changing over the years--predominately Hisun, Linhai and Odes:

Chongqing Rato Technology Co., Ltd.   [2017-2019]  (RATO Carts also branded as Massimo Mini-ATVs);
Chongqing Huansong Science and Technology Industrial Co.,Ltd.  [2015-2018]  (Hisun also branded as: Coleman, Massimo, Bennche)
Shandong Liangzi Power Co., Ltd. [2018-2021]  (Odes also branded as: Massimo , Lil' Pickup, U-Storm) -- the latter two seem to no longer be with us;
Taizhou Nebula Power Co., Ltd. [2017-2020] (REO Carts also branded as: Massimo);
Jiangsu Foma High-Tech Power Machinery Co., Ltd. [2020-2021] (branded as: Massimo
Jiangsu Linhai Power Machinery Group Co., Ltd. [2017-2021] (Linhai also branded as: Massimo);

These last two are "joined at the hip"--it seems "High-Tech Power" is a new subsidiary (or just a marketing arm) of the "Power Machinery" group.

Hisun  is the  Chongqing Huansong Science and Technology Industrial Co.,Ltd. house brand -- Odes is Shandong's house brand: Linhai is of course Linhai.

Your MSU800  was made by Shandong according to  the EPA's 2021 database (I believe it is the same vehicle as the Odes Dominator X2-ST -- they look the same):

2021-MSU800Origin.thumb.jpg.3418ed6bfe9d4ea3037ee7ec626d94fa.jpg

Do you know if the parking brake (they stopped being "emergency brakes" in 1947)  a single rotor on the rear axle input shaft, or mechanically implemented at each rear wheel?
And to what adjustment do you refer, handle position or pad clearance at the caliper? They are of course related, but often adjusted separately.

-cliff-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
¹ - I need to get their spreadsheet into a database so I can make a "Who Makes What?" listing by model name.

• Like 1

Hi Cliff,

With your info and after inspection, I found the parking brake cable leads to single rotor on the rear axel. The adjustment I was referring to is the handle. Pulling the handle all the way up operates fine, but has only the slightest braking function to hold the UTV in place. Thank you for the in depth explanation.     ----------Blair

Typically with the single rotor on the axle pinion shaft arrangement there is some provision in the p-brake cable for adjusting the anchor point or length of the cable sheath. On my Hisun 400 with a foot operated parking brake there is an adjustable junction in the cable sheath that allows it's length to be adjusted (longer outer cable = less free play):

This is the procedure for the Hisun based MSU800--if we get lucky your Odes based vehicle will be similar:

775005138_HisunBasedP-BrakeFreePlay.thumb.jpg.2d11096f82cd80d8b803dc8e33b7e6d6.jpg

-cliff-

Hi Cliff,

I had seen that illustration. Unfortunately the mechanics on mine are entirely different that the picture. I tired calling Massimo support, but they tend to give you the run around. There has been a lot of turn over at Massimo. I hope when the smoke clears over there, that it's an improvement. Odes has even less support. I can't even find a "service manual" like I have for my sea-doo's. They tell you how to fix/adjust everything.

Joe,

Yea, mine was too loose from the factory as well, delivered to my place like that. It has always topped out when you engage it. My driveway has a slight slope and it won't even hold my little 2 seater SxS. My unit was delivered incomplete, I'm still waiting on cosmetic parts for over a month. My experience has been that everyone is waiting on China deliveries. Not just Massimo, but also my local SxS tire and accessories shop, Side By Side Stuff, Rocky Mountain.com, everyone is having shipping/receiving problems. I can't get the exact wheels and tires that I want due to shipping delays. I'm going with D.O.T. tires. I'm customizing mine to be pavement queen.  I live in Nashville, TN. Downtown is a lot like Vegas, it never sleeps and it is always bumpin'. You see all kinds of alternative transportation down there. (mobile bars, mobile hot tubs, mobile Karaoke, on & on) My tricked out Massimo will fit right in. My neighbor wants to buy it. I say show me the money!

Blair

18 minutes ago, Blair said:

Good info! That had not crossed my mind. Thanks

An automatic transmission vehicle without an effective  parking brake is dangerous as Hell. Tell them  the next call will be from your neighbour's lawyer when it rolls down your driveway and kills his 4-year-old...

100% FWIW, I found this on a Chinese Manufacturers Parts site--it claimed to be for the 2019+ Odes DominatorX.

Looks to have three possible adjustments--one at the caliper end (left), one at he sheath clamping point (middle), and one at what I believe is the handle end (right).

OdesP-BrakeCable-00.jpg.6ad67a06779b5a0dba3a9e2a0e090e57.jpg

-cliff-

• Like 1

That's it Cliff!!!
I have access to the one in the middle. I couldn't to figure out how to adjust/tighten.  Should I engage the brake and then tighten the nut in the middle diagram. Or should I do the opposite. I'm thinking this is where you tighten the brake.

2 hours ago, Blair said:

That's it Cliff!!!
I have access to the one in the middle. I couldn't to figure out how to adjust/tighten.  Should I engage the brake and then tighten the nut in the middle diagram. Or should I do the opposite. I'm thinking this is where you tighten the brake.

I would alter the middle adjustment with the p-Brake handle "off", as you have too much free play you want to lengthen (tighten)  he cable sheath  which would be loosening the nut near the rubber grommet and tightening the other. Do so until the brake handle is capable of locking up the brake (typically this is when it "clicks: a couple times when engaging. If this is not possible find the end with the long threaded rod and tighten that.

I got that from a Chinese supplier we used some years back for machine parts...

2 hours ago, Blair said:

That's what I'll try. I'll keep you posted. Thanks man, you Rock!

My father and grandfather were both engineers--my grandfather a "stationary steam engineer" in a mill in Paisley Scotland--I can';t stand broken stuff, even if it's not mine; just the way I was raised.

Here's a good sectional drawing of a the hand lever of a typical  cable operated hand brake:

OdesP-BrakeCable-03.gif.2cb02a57c838d90d57daa9c5ea131447.gif

If you remove the cover on you brake handle you will likely see something like that. It would be the best way of adjusting the free play (likely has a wider range of adjustment too).

-cliff-

2 hours ago, Joe Breaux said:

I just adjusted mine ALL THE WAY it could go to tighten it.. still wont stop it from rolling... I looked at the caliper on the output shaft operated by the E-brakewith a flashlight... .. it has NO PADS  in it.. never installed by Massimo  I guess 

That's a lawsuit waiting to happen--get photos of that!

2 minutes ago, Blair said:

That's some interesting stuff. I'd like to know that backstory.

Dude my MSU 500 overheated in its very first mile on its first day in my possession.. factory STILL has not paid for that repair bill..  3 years now... It had  been in shop 6 times by the 300 mile mark.. Factory has paid ZERO!  I paid for new head, waterpump, headgasket , and lots of labor.... When I called MASSIMO, They told me they changed engine suppliers and dont warrenty HISUN... I said I had warranty and they need to pay .. Rep laughed and said..." NEVER GONNA HAPPEN"   then hung up .. Shops here wont touch one unless you pay up front 

That's just crazy. That's not the first time I've heard of a really bad experience with Massimo. Seems like some units run for years with hardly any maintenance ever needed and some are just poorly assembled. While checking Massimo's online reviews, some ex-employees leave poor reviews on how bad/sucks, it is to work for Massimo. So far, I repeat.... so far, mine seems to be running fine. It only has 4 hours, I'm trying to give it a proper break in. We'll see how it develops. It has jumped out of gear one time during acceleration. I hope it was just a user error, It hasn't done again...yet. 

1 hour ago, Blair said:

That's just crazy. That's not the first time I've heard of a really bad experience with Massimo. Seems like some units run for years with hardly any maintenance ever needed and some are just poorly assembled. While checking Massimo's online reviews, some ex-employees leave poor reviews on how bad/sucks, it is to work for Massimo. So far, I repeat.... so far, mine seems to be running fine. It only has 4 hours, I'm trying to give it a proper break in. We'll see how it develops. It has jumped out of gear one time during acceleration. I hope it was just a user error, It hasn't done again...yet. 

I will say, Mine is running pretty well now with a mix of several new Yamaha Rhino parts to replace the poor quality Hisun parts, and a few modifications to the cooling system ..... But Massimo as a company is a horrible excuse for a UTV manufacturer  ..  I know several owners with similar stories as mine and some even worse..  UTV/ATV Mechanics refuse to work on them... I really wish I had spent the extra money and bought the Honda Pioneer ... But who knows , you may get lucky with yours.. I hope so..   Oh by the way, use PREMIUM fuel in it or it rattles on hot days 

4 hours ago, Joe Breaux said:

Dude my MSU 500 overheated in its very first mile on its first day in my possession.. factory STILL has not paid for that repair bill..  3 years now... It had  been in shop 6 times by the 300 mile mark.. Factory has paid ZERO!  I paid for new head, waterpump, headgasket , and lots of labor.... When I called MASSIMO, They told me they changed engine suppliers and dont warrenty HISUN... I said I had warranty and they need to pay .. Rep laughed and said..." NEVER GONNA HAPPEN"   then hung up .. Shops here wont touch one unless you pay up front 

I got in a discussion on linked-in about my early cgriatmas present to myself (my HS400)--the discussion broadened as they do on that forum and a couple of fellows in the RV industry got invilved. They said it was well known in the "industry" that Chongqing Huansong Science and Technology Industrial Co., Ltd. (Hisun) dumped Massimo in 2018--having become fed up with their poor quality control and customer service.

Your experience with them bears out Hisun's concerns, and the EPAdata (see a clip below) illustrates Massimo's marketing of  Chongqing Huansong (Hisun) manufactured vehicle from 2010 through 2018--when they abruptly switched to a variety (four to be specific) of other Chinese and makers--selected I am sure by cost, not quality.

MassimoDumpedByHisun.thumb.jpg.565ac0462cc5836585727197fd181692.jpg

Massimo likes to bill itself as a "builder" (implying "manufacturer") of recreational vehicles--however in reality they are an assembler and vendor of kits they buy from various manufacturers; they assemble as required and carefully place their brand stickers on the stuff they slap together.. They do not "make" anything any more than I "made" Mr. Machine when I was seven.

mr_machine_photo.jpeg.87436e27b21d7a446afa7d9f9288fd53.jpeg

I would not have expected installation of parking brake pads to be part of Massimo's assembling the vehicle, but who knows, they may have saved 50¢per unit by buying them very completely disassembled--or maybe Hisun screwed up. My HS400 is vert well made, green paint daubs on everything that had to be installed/torqued.

Last Fall my daughter bought a "some assembly required" 4' x 8' Folding utility trailer from Harbor Freight--what she got was two large boxes, one containingthe axle and wheels, the other containing steel panels and angle iron--AND a 25 lb. plastic bag of 893 million nuts & bolts.

Fortunately the grand-kid was there to help the geezer. I never before thought I could get tired of screwing--"some assembly required" my backside...

• Like 1

Dang man. Now that is a backstory. That is important information to me. I'm a small business owner, same company now for 34 years. I was actually considering applying to be a dealer for Massimo. My nearest authorized dealer is in Kentucky! I thought I could set the woods on fire with sales in the Metro Davidson/Nashville Area. There's 2 million people out here and no Hisun dealer.  With your added valuable info, I think I would rather maintain my reputation and especially my sanity. At any rate, I got a real laugh out loud to your: "getting tired of screwing". That's funny... I should be so lucky.