Quantcast

2010 sportsworks 653

Hey folks. New guy here. I just picked up a 2010 4wd-653. Didnt pay much but it needs tlc for sure. No brakes! I found the front brake line broken so got another from american landmaster Goodness they are high. Replaced it and found another leak in the rear line. Rats.  So I just ordered another. The last owner replaced the engine with a 22 hp predator.  Seems to fit well but the belt is way off. I got another one from you guessed it. It is way different. I will have to pull the motor to get the old belt off. Any help is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 5:30 PM, cliffyk said:

Huh... Don't know who makes them. Will have to take a look next time I'm in the store...

Loncin is currently making the Predator brand for Harbor Freight.

https://www.loncinindustries.com/en/engine/Products.aspx?catid=8-15-16-30-0

they also make  the Toro branded engines for Toro mowers and Exmark... their quality  has seemed to improve over the last few years. The previous Greyhound engines at HF were made by Chongqing Zhongshen mfg co.  Correction: the greyhound engine's were made by Lifan  https://www.lifanpowerusa.com/product-category/engines/

but of course are all copies of Honda engines... it was even rumored at one Point that Honda was actually making them, but false.

There are some very fine products made in China. I now have 56.6 hours and 744 miles on my 2020 Coleman UT400 (Hisun HS400) and it runs like a champ with no even annoyances  since I got the shift mechanism properly adjusted. Coleman support has been pretty good, supplying me with  both owner's and service manuals, which although at times poorly abd oddly translated, and at times incorrect, have been helpful in understanding the beast.  I changed all fluids with 29 hours on the clock, finding no indication of excessive wear (metal particles or even excessive sheen in the used fluids). Today I will be changing the front differential fluid to Dexron 3 ATF as recommended in the latest service manual.

The chassis and suspension were made in Vietnam by the Vietnam New Century Industrial Company, the engine and drive-train by Hisun's parent company, the Chongqing Huansong Science and Technology Industrial Co., Ltd. The chassis is well-engineered and built; the welds are perfect, obviously machine made, All bushings and other fitments are as they should be The engine and axle gearbox castings are nicely made and finished, not sign of any leaks other than the VERY slight weeping (barely visible except for dust accumulation )that often accompanies gasket-less assembly (gaskets make up for less precise fit and finish of sealing surfaces, many/most Japanese motorcycles have use gasket-less assembly of crankcases for decades).

The engine control and other electronic/electrical controls and switches are as good as those used on any similar machine from any maker (probably even the same). Look at the components in your high-priced "name brand" offroad vehicle, you'll see 90%+ are of Asian origin.

In my 72 years I have seen a lot of real ASian junk--the early Toyptos were rolling jokes--but the Asians are a proud people and steadily and consistently improved their products 'til they took over an industry dominated by US manufacturers--who almost lost it all (one could perhaps argue they did). I also have no doubt that many, far too many, buyers of Hisun products will beat the crap out of them, ignore fluid changes, and otherwise abuse the piss out of their machines.

I also have no doubt there is some real garbage floating around out there --however from what I have seen of HIsun's latest product it is as good as any other out there...

I will add that I avoid 3rd party resellers--vendors with no solid link to a manufacturer--Hisun is the Chongqing Huansong Science and Technology Industrial Co., Ltd. outlet for it's off-road vehicles. I.e. they have real "skin-in-the-game". Coleman makes no secret of who actually makes their vehicles sold under the Coleman brand.

Some ATV/UTV "brands" just buy vehicles as assembly kits from whoever give them the lowest price, and after final assembly slap their stickers on them--they are not solidly attached to any one manufacturer and therefore are not full participants in that maker's (or your) success...

And as always, "If you buy the cheapest there is there is a good chance you will get the 'cheapest there is'"--it is not always true, but it''s true more often than not...

Nor does the EPA required certification sticker:

EPASticker-00.thumb.jpg.717df10d67e2f8d091f1ef0aab321e86.jpg