Quantcast

Oil filter FYI

tsheh4

Went to do the break in service on my buggy the other day. 10W 30 motorcycle oil, check. 85w 90 for rear diff, check. ATF for front diff, check (okay I cheated and used trans-hydraulic tractor oil, similar stuff.) Oil filter, now that was a tough one. Being the good red-blooded American male that I am, I refused to buy the overpriced Hisun filter and have it shipped in. Surely there was a cross reference that will fit it... So I do some digging, and some measuring, came up with a 2.5inch diameter filter with 3/4 16 threads. Easy, pulled the correct filter at Walmart, an AC Delco is what I grabbed, no dice. The only difference is the Hisun filter has a concave top around the threads, while most filters are covex or flat. They designed it (probably to sell filters I guess) to where the base of the filter adapter on the machine will bottom out on the filter before the gasket on most other brands of filter. I did find a filter at tractor supply for Toro twin cylinder lawn mower engines that is identical to the Hisun filter. I just ended up paying more than if had ordered the Hisun one. Tis the price of stubbornness. 

• Like 1

Have trouble with that factory filter (removal)?  That was the most I have ever cussed in that short of a time period.  Talk about a goat rope.  I *hate* working on my 550.  It is my punishment for being an a**hole when I was younger.  lol.

Motorcycledoctor.com is where I get my filter.  Also can get from Amazonhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2UIZT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Craig C.

• Haha 1

Yeah im missing the skin on a couple knuckles.... one of these days ill learn to use gloves. Was able to get it with channel locks but there aint alot of working room. .. I was about a half second from driving a screwdriver through it and doing it that way.

It is common on motorcycles and the like for the oil filter adapter to be secured with a largish central nut:

OilFilterFlange.jpg.25e6131b03ae2035615f4911689b94fc.jpg

It is also common for many automotive oil filters to have a projecting mounting thread incompatible with such an adapter (like this FRAM filter--where the thread "bottoms out" before the seal):

.OilFilterFram.jpg.2fe8d598fd159e42734b6ed5f7993564.jpg

Here are the dimensions of the Hisun filter (note the "concavish", recessed below the seal, mounting thread):

OilFilter.jpg.ba87bb2cce15c383ee8e78523cc7b4d1.jpg

I got a properly fitting filter from Amazon for $10...

• Like 1

Interesting, I was pretty sure it was 3/4 16 thread... The filters that Walmart had for motorcycles, with the recessed threads, Fram pH6017 I believe it is, have a 20mm thread and did not work. Slightly bigger than the 3/4 hole. The toro filter I bought was part number 136-7848P.

The filter I first bought and tried was the ac delco equivelent of a fram ph4386.... threads right, diameter right, slightly longer, but bottomed out on the threads.... point being if anyone tries an unknown filter, you can tell if it is going to work by feel.... if you twist it on and it just comes to a stop, its probably gonna leak. You should be able to feel the gradual tightenting of the gasket the last turn or so.

I filled out the contact form on Wix's website earlier.... the phone rang just a few minutes ago, i didn't recognize the name that showed up on it, "MH Purolat...." about 5 minutes later it dropped on me like a ton of bricks, Man-Hummel, Purolater, OIL FILTERS......t1940.gif

they didn't leave a message.

17 minutes ago, Travis said:

I filled out the contact form on Wix's website earlier.... the phone rang just a few minutes ago, i didn't recognize the name that showed up on it, "MH Purolat...." about 5 minutes later it dropped on me like a ton of bricks, Man-Hummel, Purolater, OIL FILTERS......t1940.gif

they didn't leave a message.

Mann Hummel owns WIX and Purolator.