Quantcast

Stampede died- looking for new engine

Our 2017 Textron Stampede 900 died when driving it (after making a terrible noise).  Now it won’t start. Checked oil and there wasn’t any.  Was given advice that the engine would need to be replaced. Trying to find a used or rebuilt one.  Any recommendations or leads on how I can find one?

On 6/16/2021 at 5:33 PM, Amyjou said:

Our 2017 Textron Stampede 900 died when driving it (after making a terrible noise).  Now it won’t start. Checked oil and there wasn’t any.  Was given advice that the engine would need to be replaced. Trying to find a used or rebuilt one.  Any recommendations or leads on how I can find one?

A look at your local craigslist, or Facebook marketplace might find you a s×s salvage yard in your area. One that might possibly match that engine. It's probably a longshot. But well worth the effort if you get lucky.

Or that engine could easily be rebuilt. However, once you factor in the labor costs, neither option is cheap. And they both have drawbacks. 

Personally, I'd probably give luck a brief chance, by searching for a salvage place nearby. Next, I'd try to find out if the mounts might accept a more generic motor  replacement. If I had no success there, then I'd get to work on a rebuild. Because that's a sure thing. It's absolutely guaranteed, that the original motor, once it's rebuilt, will drop right back in, and the bolts are all the right length, the wires all just fit. You get the idea.

Good luck, and let us know which way you go on this. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a 2018 Textron Stampede.  It has begin using alot of oil.  Has anyone else had this issue?  If so, do you have any ideas about why this would happen suggenly.  The stampede runs great and there is no evidence of an oil leak.  Any help would ne appreciated.

Check the crankcase ventilation to make sure it's not obstructed. 

Check compression in all cylinders. 

Inspect the spark plugs, their condition can often tell you what's going on. 

It really sounds a lot like blow by. Where the rings have excessive clearance, allowing oil into the combustion chamber. 

• 1 month later...

Replying back on progress, or rather lack of progress.

After lots of looking online and calling salvage yards in our state and Minnesota where the plant exists, I haven't been able to find a salvaged 2017 Stampede 900 EPS.  I did just recently find a 2018 Stampede (4 seater vs our 2 seater).  I have reached out to Artic Cat to see if they can tell me if the engine would be compatible to use in our 2017 Stampede.  It's been a long road of waiting, and if this doesn't pan out, I'll be trying to sell ours as is.  Bummer.  

Wondering what my chances are of finding a replacement engine.  It's been 2 years with no luck.  Is there a possibility that other years and/ or similar models will have a compatible engine or do I need to only look for the same exact model of Stampede?  

It's certainly possible that  a newer motor will fit, but you'll want positive verification. Because there's so many things that go into making the engine run, and they all have to work with each other, as well. 

There are definitely people out there with the skills to make it happen, and probably even make it look relatively easy.  But for you, and I, that's not gonna work. So you'll want to make sure that it'll just drop in, and use the same plug ins for the CPU, same motor mount position etc. So it needs to be the exact same engine. Just a little thing like the exhaust angle being different, could be a major headache. 

If you've absolutely determined that it does actually need an engine. My thought would still be an engine rebuild. By rebuilding the existing engine, you're guaranteed of a perfect fit. And since it really isn't that old, it probably isn't worn out. 

There's lots of things that can keep the engine from starting. And depending on what the terrible noise was, it might be cheaper, and/or easier to just fix it, with no rebuild needed. 

The locally obtained replacement engine was always going to be a longshot. But some people do get lucky. I know, I've seen it lol. But that's them, and not our luck.

Before putting substantial money into this, you should consider whether you're totally satisfied with the machine otherwise. Good used utility buggies aren't all that expensive, nor are they that hard to find. Everyone seems to want those super expensive hot rod models. I've seen older mules around here, in excellent condition for around four grand. 

I found the part number of the engine, and according to partzilla the engine only fits these models

This Arctic Cat 409135 I2 846 UTV NA-80 DS V003 2015 3.1 fits the following models and components:

Arctic Cat Side by Side 2017 STAMPEDE LTD EPS INFERNO RED - U2017S2W1SUSN ENGINE - COMPLETE [302495]

Arctic Cat Side by Side 2017 STAMPEDE XT EPS BLACK - U2017S1W1SUSP ENGINE - COMPLETE [302495]

Arctic Cat Side by Side 2017 STAMPEDE XTR XT EPS FOREST GREEN - U2017S3W1SUST ENGINE - COMPLETE [302495]

Arctic Cat Side by Side 2017 STAMPEDE XTR LTD EPS ELECTRIC BLUE - U2017S4W1SUSU ENGINE - COMPLETE [302495]

Arctic Cat Side by Side 2017 STAMPEDE LTD EPS BLACK - U2017S2W1SUSP ENGINE - COMPLETE [302495]

Arctic Cat Side by Side 2017 STAMPEDE FOREST GREEN - U2017STW1TUST ENGINE - COMPLETE [302495]

Arctic Cat Side by Side 2017 STAMPEDE XT EPS INFERNO RED - U2017S1W1SUSN ENGINE - COMPLETE [302495]

Arctic Cat Side by Side 2017 STAMPEDE XT EPS BRIGHT WHITE - U2017S1W1SUSB ENGINE - COMPLETE [302495]

Arctic Cat Side by Side 2017 STAMPEDE XTR LTD EPS PLATINUM - U2017S4W1SUSV ENGINE - COMPLETE [302495]

Arctic Cat Side by Side 2017 STAMPEDE LTD EPS PLATINUM - U2017S2W1SUSV ENGINE - COMPLETE [302495]

Arctic Cat Side by Side 2017 STAMPEDE LTD EPS ELECTRIC BLUE - U2017S2W1SUSU ENGINE - COMPLETE [302495]

Arctic Cat Side by Side 2017 STAMPEDE XTR LTD EPS BLACK - U2017S4W1SUSP ENGINE - COMPLETE [302495]

Arctic Cat Side by Side 2017 STAMPEDE XTR XT EPS INFERNO RED - U2017S3W1SUSN ENGINE - COMPLETE [302495]

Arctic Cat Side by Side 2017 STAMPEDE XT EPS FOREST GREEN - U2017S1W1SUST ENGINE - COMPLETE [302495]

Arctic Cat Side by Side 2017 STAMPEDE XT EPS REALTREE X - U2017S1W1SUSF ENGINE - COMPLETE [302495]

Arctic Cat Side by Side 2017 STAMPEDE XTR XT EPS BLACK - U2017S3W1SUSP ENGINE - COMPLETE [302495]

Arctic Cat Side by Side 2017 STAMPEDE XTR XT EPS REALTREE - U2017S3W1SUSF ENGINE - COMPLETE [302495]

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Travis said:

However, if i look at the parts list for the 2018 4 seater..... they use the same 409135 engine.....

image.png.4dea1d22208d796dfd25b7e5d7baacc1.png

image.thumb.png.2f6c780b926d727f45050c417b01a43c.png

image.png

Great job Travis! It certainly sounds good so far. 

Although it still needs more verification, I feel very good about it being a drop in replacement. But I'd certainly want to at least get the factory CPU that came with the donor  motor. Preferably i'd want unlimited access to the whole vehicle. 

To the OP, an engine swap can be an expensive rabbit hole. Because nothing is as simple as we'd like. And every project is way more expensive than it at first seemed. Before going down into it, be certain that it wouldn't just be easier to fix, rather than replace. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...