Quantcast

Coleman 400 UTV Help

You will quickly see that I am new to this and don't quite know how to pose this question. I gave myself a Coleman 400 UTV for my 65th  birthday a month ago."To Yaya: From Yaya" I've noticed a couple issues. First, as I drive around our acreage, sometimes it just putters, almost sounds like it's going to turn off. The other issue is the lights on the dashboard that correspond with forward, neutral and reverse don't match up to the actual gear. Sometimes it does but most of the time it doesn't. What I mean is that when I put it in forward to drive, the reverse light will be on the dashboard light. Sometimes it will be the forward light. When I put it in Neutral, sometimes the light on the dashboard /N lights up and sometimes it doesn't. Lastly the gas gauge does not register. Although the tank is almost full, it shows E / Empty.

• Alex changed the title to Coleman 400 UTV Help

First thing, get a see through gas filter from AutoZone or any parts store, the original gas filter is JUNK...also upgrade to an Irradium spark plug ......Doing this will give you more power and better fuel mileage..When puting in forward or reverse make sure to go to neutral then back to forward or reverse...also grease all the fittings...The UTV comes with none of the fittings greased ..

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a coleman 400 UTV bought in 2021 and it has a problem a couple of problems. First problem is it makes a grinding noise going into reverse , I tried adjusting it using the factory bulletin but that didnt help. The second problem is that the main display seems to have the rubber around it, which also seems to form the outside of the tachometer and the speeometer, has somehow come loose inside of the display and is drooping down far enough that the tach can only go up to 1000 before it hits the side of the rubber.  Anyone else had that problem? if so how do I fix it? 

• Like 1

I bought mine last year. The rubber gasket is an issue, the same as yours. Still can’t figure how to get to the panel. The reverse grinding issue was a real pain, but I checked the owner’s manual this morning. By pushing on the brake pedal HARD before going into reverse seems to fix that issue.

• 1 month later...

Heidi,

As far as adjustment lf the shifting lights see https://www.utvboard.com/topic/7522-outfitter-ut400-shiftcable-adjustment/

There is a factory bulletin on shifter adjustment that may help.

as for puttering and feeling like its going to die, make sure ylu have both seat belts buckled. If they arent the fuel supply cuts off for aafety at 10mph. This results in a bucking/surging and feeling like you have fuel issues.

The gas gauge it can be a little confusing as it is two colors. Of you just see a single red bar and the gas symbol is flashing it is indicating low fuel. All the other bars on the gauge are white. Note that they will only show if the fuel is that high. If you see, I believe 6 bars total, the tank is full.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm working on a 2022 UT400 that has the wiz bang clunk problem. I have tried the adjustments, and the additional leingth on the shifter but when I put the 400 into drive it will kick in and out and sounds like the bottom end is falling out, but reverse is outstanding. I baught the rig for much cheaper than normal from Tractor supply because no one in the area will warranty fix them and the 2 prior owners just wanted the money back. So here I am. What is the next fix? Time to pull the assembly out and get dirty or is their another fix I am missing? 

Geoff, the first step I would try is the cable adjustment linked in my post above. It can be touchy so you may need to got thru it multiple times.

If that doesn't work the next step would be to modify the shifter lever. There was a post just a few days ago with pictures explaining it. It does require welding so if that's not within your skill set you might need to take it to a shop.

Hello,

I have done the adjustments and did the other shifter extention adding 1 inch to the travel. The trans will still not stay jn forward. Reverse is outstanding. When I did the adjustments and extender it was great until the trans got warmed up abot a mile from where I took it off the trailer, and would NOT stay in forward so we returned to the trailer in reverse. Had no problem. But forward not at all. When I did this last adjustment it was with the adjuster, and cable adjustment from reverse. Still no luck. I didn't try the way you did it but extended it with a mounted bracket to the shifter. 

Sounds like it may still be somewhat misadjusted. I know some people have reported doing the FSM adjustment, but kind of in reverse to get it to work, I believe there's an old thread by cliffyK where he states that's what it took him to get it to work.

There's nothing else that would cause this that I'm aware of other than the shift cam not quite being thrown far enough.

I'm just passing on information on this, I have not needed to adjust mine or add the extended throw modification and so far mine has been fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I have dune some trouble shooting and with the transmission in forward, and the veh off, the shifter tries to jump out of geer when it's rocket back and forth, especially forward. We have also tried having a second person holding the actual transmission shift linkage in forward and it jumps in and out the same way. Adjusting is no longer available, nothing else can be adjusted. Like I said in the beginning. Now it seems to be mechanic time and break it down and actually find the problem. That's the manual that I need, to breaking it down. Fun begins now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok guys here is the update to the shifting problem I ran into. After breaking the entire engine and transmission down I found the forward gear and reverse gear had wore a groove and the fork had wore down how and where it locks in. As I thought in the beginning it was a bad gear not adjustments. It's back together and working great. The only thing I'm looking at is it feels like the front end is binding somewhere. But that's another day of troubleshooting. Total parts