Quantcast

Onfoot

Seized engine...only 188 hours.

I mostly use my Prowler for gathering firewood and keeping my 2km driveway plowed. This year we have had much more snow than usual, so have been needing to work the machine for longer periods, but always with some care and caution so as to avoid damaging anything.

However, on Sunday it stopped suddenly in the middle of a plowing run. Today I learned that the oil had cooked and burnt out the main crank shaft bearings. Apparently the snow had clogged both the coolant and oil radiators and it had been running and overheating. At least that is the only thing that we can think of to have caused the problem. It only has 188 hours on it and the oil was fine when I checked it a few days earlier.

Three questions:

1. Has anyone else heard of such a thing happening? (I live in the Yukon and it was about -15F on Sunday.)

2. The dealer is estimating $4000 for repairs (about 50/50 labour and parts). Does anyone have any suggestions for how this might be reduced?

3. Do you think Arctic Cat might be willing to help? I have to say that I am thoroughly disillusioned with the Prowler. I told the dealer what I needed it to do before I purchased it (Sept 07) and was assured that plowing a 2km driveway would not present a problem. Now he is saying that I am using it in a way that is quite demanding and I should not be surprised that it is not up to the challenge.

Thanks for any advice and recommendations!

Seems like you could buy a complete new engine for less the $4,000. I would look at a replacement rather than a rebuild. I would shop around on the internet for a complete engine. You can buy a Chevy Crate race engine for nearly $4000. $4000 I can buy a modified Yamaha race engine for my race car.

Even tho is was as cold as it was, if the rad & cooler are plugged you could burn it up.

I sure would try Factory Rep to see if they would help. Nothing to lose!

Good luck!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Thanks, Rocmoc. I have a call into Arctic Cat and expect to hear from a customer rep within a few days. In the meantime the Prowler waits for my decision at the dealership. I have concluded that my plowing needs are beyond its design parameters and will be putting it up for sale once I have figured out the best way to sort out the engine issues. (New engine, rebuild, or ...)

It is a fun machine, to be sure, and performs brilliantly in the bush. But no way I can push lots and lots of snow and still keep the rads clear. Hope it can find a good home with someone whose needs are more modest.

I had a look on e-bay for second hand engines for you and a couple of other sites with no luck at all. Keep the pressure up with Arctic Cat even if there is some compromise such as replacing and rebuilding at cost. If you are thinking of selling after this issue is sorted, a second hand engine could be the cheapest option so keep an eye out for one. 4k just seems too much. I feel for you and hope it works out all good, as I'm sure it will.

Cheers Mike.

Thanks, Mike! I appreciate your looking around on my behalf. I certainly will be seeking some help from Arctic Cat. $4k is indeed a lot of money! Will let the forum know what happens with Arctic Cat.

A Good News update! Today I heard from Arctic Cat factory rep and they have, as a good will gesture, agreed to cover the cost of all the parts. This is a wonderfully generous response on their part and speaks volumes about AC's commitment to customer service. I am a thoroughly satisfied and very grateful customer!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• 250cc longer wheel studs

Hey there folks, we are now stocking longer and stronger wheel studs for the 2500cc line up, including models from Coleman, HiSUN, Benchee, Massimo and others that share the same parts. The fronts are pretty easy to change out as the hubs are aluminum, but the rears are a little harder since they are made from steel. Really helps with different rims, racing, or striped out poor quality OEM versioins. These are rated at 10.9

By strike250, in Hisun UTV SxS Forum

• 0 replies
    • Battle BROyale Featuring Can-Am Maverick X3 by Hoonigan Media Machine

Long Beach, CA â September 27, 2016 â Hoonigan Media Machine takes the lead to create a series of unique and engaging content featuring the all-new Can-Am Maverick X3 side-by-side vehicle.

As the creative driver behind the immensely popular Gymkhana viral film series, Hoonigan Media Machine brings its unique ability to attract massive audiences and keeping them engaged to each project. Led by Hoonigan Chief Brand Officer and Co-Founder Brian Scotto, the team announces a new viral video effort dubbed âBattle BROyale,â which features two, three-driver teams of Hoonigan and Can-Am-backed athletes batting for off-road supremacy in three extreme environments. This new video has been teased for a week, prior to its full official public debut today.

Battle BROyale serves as natural and exhilarating method of delivering the performance traits of the 2017 Maverick X3 vehicle that naturally relates to intended audience. Hoonigan guru Ken Block captains one team with Ryan Kibbe and Justin Oquendo. BJ Baldwin anchors the other squad featuring Chris Forsberg and Dustin Jones. The six skilled pilots battle head-to-head in three unique settings, including an urban wasteland, taxing desert course and an abandoned golf course.

âHoonigan Media Machine is an ideal partner to assist us in delivering engaging, adrenaline-filled, action-packed launch videos, starring the game-changing Can-Am Maverick X3 Turbo R side-by-side vehicle,â said Marc-André Dubois, Director, Global Marketing, Can-Am Off-Road.

Hoonigan Media Machine kicked off the Can-Am Maverick X3 content series by producing the original vehicle launch video, which went public on Aug. 16. For the launch video project, Hoonigan Media Machine showcased its capabilities by creating compelling, authentic content to engage the masses, as well as leveraging its network of credible influencers across all social platforms, to directly connect with the intended audiences.

Combining Can-Am Off-Roadâs industry leading technology and Hoonigan Media Machineâs ability to deliver state-of-the-art content ensures delivery of unique and engaging content, which properly highlights the featured line of exciting vehicles.

For more information on Hoonigan Media Machine, please visit www.hoonigan.com.
      For more information on BRP/Can-Am Off-Road, please visit www.can-am.brp.com.
      More Resources: Can-Am Maverick X3 ReviewCan-Am Maverick X3 X RS Dune ReviewAbout Hoonigan Media Machine

Hoonigan Media Machine is the creative team behind the viral Ken Block Gymkhana film series. Hoonigan Media Machine is focused on content creation and is fully equipped to handle production on a wide range of video projects in the automotive community. Led by Hoonigan Chief Brand Officer and Co-Founder Brian Scotto, the production team ideate and produce highly sharable, award-winning content from photos to short viral clips to long-form video for both top athletes and personalities and influential brands.
      Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/UTVGuide

View the full article

By UTVBoard News, in UTV News and Information

• 0 replies
    • 2001 Plymouth Prowler

* Base price (New): $40,000 * Vehicle type: Two passenger, two-door roadster, rear-wheel drive. * Engine: 3.5-liter V-6, 253 horsepower at 6,400 rpm, 255 pound-feet of torque at 3,950 rpm. * Transmission: Four-speed automatic. * Curb weight: 2,862 pounds. * Wheelbase: 113.3 inches. * EPA fuel economy: 17 mpg city, 23 mpg highway. * Highs: Fun to look at. Fun to be in. Fun to drive. * Lows: Bulky front bumpers. No stick shift. * Kenwood Radio * Kicker Amp * A/C * Leather Seats * Cruise * Power: Mirrors, Seats, Windows. * Tilt Wheel * CD Player * Rear Window Defroster *** Miles: 28.000 *** *** Price: 20,000 *** *** NO trades *** *** Info: [email protected] ***

By jbryson, in UTV Off-Road Classifieds - Buy & Sell

• 0 replies
    • RZR, Ranger, Rhino, Teryx, and Prowler Cages!

Well guess its time to introduce myself, My name is stephen and i work out here and Sandworks Sand Cars in Ogden UT. We got our start ten years ago and have been building some slick high speed desert cars and have made a few magazine covers. Anyways we have moved into the UTV market I Just thought i would post up some of our rear cage kits we build and get some opinions and answer any questions you guys might have!

By sandworks, in UTV Pictures and Videos

• 0 replies
    • 09 Prowler Differential Problem

I experienced a problem with my 09 Prowler jerking when you try to take off from a dead start or at a rolling start. It did not do it when in 4 wheel drive. I discovered that the rear driveline was turning as much as 3 or 4 revolutions before rearend would engage. This machine has the turf saver rear differential. I removed the rearend and found that the spool was welded so you could not take apart. I ground the welds off and dissassembled and found that there are a type of clutch pack on each side. Mine was damaged beyond any repair on one side. So to make a long story short I was wondering if anyone has removed there turf saver and installed a solid spool from a older model. If so do you have the correct part #'s. The turf saver spool and gear assembly is upwards of $700.00 everywhere I have looked online and the comparable solid spools are around 150.00 in the older models. I have compared the parts diagrams and numbers to several other models and everything seems to be the same except for the pinion tooth numbers and the spool with the ring gear. My pinion is 10 tooth and the ring gear 36 tooth. I can't afford to spend 700 plus dollars to repair this rearend so any help would be appreciated

By rwc_critter, in Arctic Cat UTV SxS Forum

• 3 replies