Quantcast

Transmission's grinds on our Buck 450 when you shift it.

Farm Boy

19 hours ago, Albert21 said:

Alright sounds like a good start.

You need to download a service manual for your model UTV,  since you have access to the internet.  There is a page on this forum where you can get one downloaded and IT IS  FREEEE! , as Joe Natmath says on TV. You may need to use a computer or maybe even a smart cell phone, I used my desktop computer.

• Like 1

Hi, I have a 2021 buck 450 that would pop out of gear when you put it in gear and hit the gas. couldn't get any help from massimo or the place I bought it from. Cant find a service manual for it, pulled off the seat and there two cables going to the trans  from your gear shift left one is for low,   right one is  for high and reverse . I used a 3/4 inch wrench to loosen  and tighten . adjustable wrench to keep the cable from spinning, lengthened the left cable about 1/4" and it stays in low and doesn't pop out or grind anymore, never had any problems with high and reverse. If anyone knows where you can get a service manual it would be great, hope this helps

John 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2021 at 11:18 PM, Farm Boy said:

It has done this since day one that we purchased it from Tractor Supply. I contacted the service man that Tractor Supply recommended and he told us that there wasn't anything he do to help us with. Has anyone had this same problem and can offer suggestion on to correct this issue ? It would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2021 Massimo T-Boss 550. I had the same problems. When I did my first oil change, I replaced the filter and filled with a good quality synthetic oil specifically for wet clutch and put in just a tiny bit extra over the full mark and I noticed a huge improvement. ALSO- VERY IMPORTANT... always let the engine warm up and build up pressure before putting into gear. On cold start up I always start up and soon as I get in the barn, get off, open the barn door and take a little time to hop back on. I find with this machine I have to handle it with kid gloves or I fear it with break apart. Among other many problems, the Trailer Hitch Receiver snapped after a few uses. When I took a good look at it I was disgusted on how thin the metal is holding it in place; any thinner it would be called tin foil.  My buddy is a welder and when he looked at it (to repair it) he couldn't stop laughing. He had to weld an additional  1/4" steel plate underneath to secure it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joe Breaux said:

the problem is trying to stay ahead of the malfunctions on these machines.  its work on it, ride it, work on it ..repeat 

Maybe i been lucky. My 2015 has been bullet proof. Brakes and wheel bearings, it lives in the swamp mud and water.

53 minutes ago, Don W said:

Yeah well whatever!  Lots of blanks around here

believe me when I say we are jealous of your  experience with these things.. none of us have such good fortune with them.. And  the fact that they break alot is not the biggest thorn in my side, its the absolute neglect  and dont givashit attitude from the manufacturer and their pathetic sales minions at Tractor Supply and the rest .. They simply refused to honor their own warranty in any way, even on mines first day of use.   but I digress 

I didn't know Tractor Supply had sold them for several years. I bought mine from a dealer in west Florida in 2016 for the very reason of which you speak, Thing is nothing ever broke on my MSU 800 so I never had to see about the warranty covering anything. I had a young guy work for me in my company (nothing to do with ATV's) that worked previously for Tractor Supply. He said they stopped selling them because they couldn't get parts for them. I showed him where I basically could build one ground up with new pets on line.  

Only things I've needed are brake shoes and wheel bearings after 2-3 yrs. Considering it lived pretty much in the swamp and water I understood why. I've worked the daylights out of the thing.

Hey Joe, don't "digress", I didn't even know we were arguing!!!

As far as gears grinding on that Buck 450, can't sat I'm familiar with that machine or how it shifts, my MSU 800 they caution you not to try shifting from low to high while underway, it's too easy to kiss reverse. if it ever went completely into reverse....by by tranny!!

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2022 at 9:34 AM, Albert21 said:

Yeah I'll definitely have to fnd a good mechanic for sure. Don't know anyone around me that works on them

Did you every find out what happened to this? If not, or if you did let me ask you this, there is a Primary Drive Clutch Assembly in that part, and if it locks up you have to replace it, (cost around $85 to $150) for parts only, That will also include the belt too. But I think what is killing it, is the clutch is locked up and when you put it in gear it's like taking a standard vehicle putting it in 3 gear and dump the clutch while holding the break. Only way I can describe it.  I could be wrong, but I'm sure you wasn't trying to shift while moving. Most anyone who has a Buck knows you put it in gear and go. You don't shift while moving. HOWEVER I know one person who did but I told him not to ever do it again. Hope it helps, and if not please let me know what happened. Thanks.