Quantcast

Gumball

GPS Power Pickup/Hood Removal Fix

I finally took the hood off my Trooper today - boy was that fun. I'm looking for a good power source for my GPS. With all the expert help on this forum I figured someone will have a good answer to this question. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

To avoid the need for 6 foot long arms to get to the nuts under the hood I went to ACE Hardware and bought some UNM-L6 U nuts. They slide right over the frame brackets that should have had the 10mm nuts tacked to them. That solved the problem of trying to hold the nuts with one hand while trying to loosen the screws with the other. Being a new guy, others probably did this long ago but I thought I'd share anyhow.

Gumball

Gumball, this problem has been discussed before but your solution is better than I remember. That is a good idea and one I'll take on board.

By the way, welcome to UTV Boards and after reading your profile, I know you are going to be another valuable member.

Cheers Mike.

I finally took the hood off my Trooper today - boy was that fun. I'm looking for a good power source for my GPS. With all the expert help on this forum I figured someone will have a good answer to this question. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

To avoid the need for 6 foot long arms to get to the nuts under the hood I went to ACE Hardware and bought some UNM-L6 U nuts. They slide right over the frame brackets that should have had the 10mm nuts tacked to them. That solved the problem of trying to hold the nuts with one hand while trying to loosen the screws with the other. Being a new guy, others probably did this long ago but I thought I'd share anyhow.

Gumball

Gumball, what GPS do you have and what are the power requirements?

If you're going to start replace 10 mm nuts with UNM-L6 U, may I suggest 95210A175 METRIC TAPPED-HOLE U-STYLE CLIP-ON NUT, M6 X 1 MM PITCH, FOR .34 - 4 MM THICK PANEL @ $7.33/PK of 25 from http://www.mcmaster.com/# and also do the under side which probably has the nuts down and subject to damage, making them a real bitch to get undone. You also might consider hinging your hood, another thread.

Kinarfi

Thank you for the good information. ACE charged me $1.15 a piece for the nuts. Your place, McMaster-Carr charged me about $.30 a piece plus shipping. Quite a savings. I bought enough to do my whole car and my buddies car.

Thanks again,

Gumball

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.