Quantcast

oil filter removal 2020 coleman 400

Changing the oil on the vehicle.  replacing oil filter too.   Holy crap.  tight spaces, over-torqued filter.  cant get it off.  Have tried every filter wrench out there.  cant get a good angle for me to torque it off.  Ideas?

On 5/13/2022 at 5:35 PM, meneb2 said:

Changing the oil on the vehicle.  replacing oil filter too.   Holy crap.  tight spaces, over-torqued filter.  cant get it off.  Have tried every filter wrench out there.  cant get a good angle for me to torque it off.  Ideas?

Yes!  I posted about this nightmare in the Coleman forum back in the fall of 2021.  I tried many different styles of wrenches (strap, etc).  Screwdriver.  None worked.  This is what you need along with an extension for your rachet:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/lisle-import-car-oil-filter-wrench-63600/25981259-P?searchTerm=filter wrench

image.png.f09446fe52545190507ecb7fcaa89653.png

Good luck.  Make sure no kids are around while you're doing this or they will learn some new words.

Craig C.

Well, I finally got it off.  Used a combination of techniques.  I had tried  the screwdriver thing  from underneath.  Limited space to get any leverage.  Craig,  I had purchased one of the Lisle tools.  Tried it but couldn't get it to grip correctly.  So, I went up top.  I had to remove what appears to be a breather tube that vents the crankcase/transmission.  Had a little more room to maneuver .  Tried that Lisle tool again; no luck.  Went back to screwdriver technique,  got it to budge slightly.  Did it a couple of times.  Incremental movement.   Then I went to a different tool from Lisle I think.  Looks like channel locks but with oil filter shaped jaws.  Got them on Amazon but available at most auto parts stores.  Come in a 2-pack, small and large.  Once I got the filter to budge, I applied  the grippers and was able to rotate the filter to a point where I could hand loosen it.  Success!!  Finally!  Put everything back together,  test drove, no leaks.  Beer-thirty!

Next was the first oil change on my riding lawnmower.  Same issue, over-torqued filter.  Used the  method as above.  I think the manufacturer over-torques some items to make sure they don't loosen during over seas shipping.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it😄

Thanks for the suggestions guys! 

Craig, from your picture with the out-building with the Texas flag I would guess you live in Texas.  I do.  Out in the Hill Country, near Fredericksburg.  West of Austin, northwest of San Antonio.

Mark

3 hours ago, meneb2 said:

Craig, from your picture with the out-building with the Texas flag I would guess you live in Texas.  I do.  Out in the Hill Country, near Fredericksburg.  West of Austin, northwest of San Antonio.

I am north of the thriving metropolis of Richland Springs.  Home of winningest six man football team in the history of six man football!

Need rain.  Bad.

Craig C.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.