Quantcast

Oil filter disection

I've been looking for a cross to a filter from a known manufacturer since I bought this machine. Both from a cost standpoint, and a known quality standpoint. The factory filters are just plain black with no markings. Due to price point on these machines I would assume that the factory filter would be made as.cheap as possible

I have not had any real luck finding a cross, so In doing my first oil change I decided to cut the factory filter and see what is inside.

20220721_104810.thumb.jpg.a25f6ae3fde0d8a08ea381e189a7568c.jpg

I don't have a fancy oil filter cutting set up, so I just clamped it in the vise and went to town with my portaband. Excuse the rough cuts and metal shavings.20220721_105045.thumb.jpg.abcbee34d9e48418140541c4bee355b0.jpg

Looks like a good quality filter, plenty of pleats/surface area. Metal endcaps. Excuse the crushing, that's from the vise/strap wrench to remove it.

20220721_105104.thumb.jpg.9a1acad6d38ca438dde48748bfcb3c72.jpg

Relief valve

20220721_105037.thumb.jpg.701acf44fcd8387745b7ae46ddb32d4c.jpg

And a spring in the bottom of the can to keep the top silicone anti-drainback pressed in place.

Overall looks like a surprisingly good quality filter for a no name. At least we can know that using the factory filters on these should be acceptable. I feel better about paying $10 for this filter at least knowing it's good quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By marchboom
      I am looking to buy a UTV and the CF Moto ZForce 800 Trail looks pretty good.  But after watching numerous You Tube videos it appears that they have a serious air filter problem. Is this a problem with the type of filter or the intake location...........or both?  I wouldn't want to get a new UTV only to get it home and have to start modifying it.
      Thanks
    • By jaygallo87
      I am Jason. I got my first utv back in February of 2021. I have a 2020 Honda Pioneer 700. I enjoy riding it around the land and using it for yard work. It has made things so much easier and less back breaking. I have always wanted to go mudding and off roading and this is just another toy to help me have fun.
    • By Daniel Goodwin
      Hi, 
      I have a brand new Hisun Sector E1 that I got in March-April timeframe. Its got about 100 miles on it. I was driving it yesterday among some tall grass on one of my hills when it just complete stopped moving. Pressing the accelerator and nothing. I put it in reverse, nothing. I tried in 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive, locked and unlocked. Nothing. I put it in neutral, turned the ignition off and started it again and was able to drive forward about 20-30 feet and it stopped again. No errors. No 45C message, nothing. Just completely unresponsive. I had to "limp" all the way home by turning it on and off to get home. That 30 feet or so that it would travel was full power, I could push it hard or take it gently and it would still cut out on me. Its super bizarre. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on? I'm no electrician...I thought buying a sector E1 would require less work from me than an ICE vehicle, it appears I was wrong. I'm 2 hours from the nearest distributor so pretty worried about getting it serviced.

• By Clight83
      Hello,
      I am attempting to do some maintenance on my late fathers Massimo MSU 400 that he bought back in 2015. It has had numerous issues over the years and needless to say it is by far the most unreliable thing on 4 wheels that I have ever experienced in my life. That being said I would like to change the oil on it, and I cannot find an oil filter that cross references the stock filter number that will work. So far I have tried a Napa/wix 1394 that cross referenced to the Fram 4967 that was shown as the original cross reference. 
      Both filters will immediately start to leak oil as soon as the machine is started up. I do have an actual Massimo filter ordered from Amazon which is 15200-F12-0000 and that one has no cross reference to be found.
      Does anyone know any filter brand and number that will work on this engine other than the stock filter? I don’t want to continue buying filters only to have them not work and waste more oil in the process.
    • Dream Car Giveaway
    • By Greg In Iowa
      [email protected]
      10:31 AM (9 minutes ago)         I'm always trying to add more options, when it comes to parts, fluids or anything else, if it's good quality and saves me money. I want it to look right also. My new 800sx crew is just about broken in. I'll use Amsoil 0w-40 engine oil. After pounding around in Google for a while,  I  found a couple of oil filters other than Chery.
      Fram ph4976
      I  was hoping for a little more quality, and found Wix 51394. I got it at O'Reilly's for 13 American. I wanted to be sure, so I stopped into Bass Pro. I  asked for an oil filter for my machine. The guy went over to the shelf and opened an oil change kit from Tracker. (You know,  the oil and filter kit for 69.99.) Inside the box was a Wix 51394. I'll change the differential and trans-axle fluids at the same time. I think I've found some fluids, other than Tracker/Artic Cat.( I did end up with Artic Cat trans-axle fluid, still looking for a good alternative.) Has anyone already found something? It would be great to know?
      I also put a Kenimoto turn signal/horn kit on it. I did have to lengthen the wires from the switch on the steering column into the firewall and then back to the rear turn signals. I went to the battery for power. It looks and works great. You will see that my turn signal indicator lights are out on the hood. I'll have to extend the wires to get them into the cab area. As it works out, I like the added lights outside on the front and I see the lights easily.
      I bought a 6x10 canvas tarp, added a couple of grommets, used the black rubber stretchy tie downs and I now have a nice top that does all I need it to do until I get a hard top. I did this for under 60.00.
      I did roll roll the front with a 1/2" fiberglass rod that I got at the farm and home store. I used 1/2" insulated clamps from the electrical isle. I did have to puncture the canvas for the screws. On the back I used one of the bicycle/moped fiberglass flag poles. It stays tight, keeps the sun off the passengers and would repel rain.

• Similar Tagged Content

• Gallery Images