Quantcast

Oil filter disection

I've been looking for a cross to a filter from a known manufacturer since I bought this machine. Both from a cost standpoint, and a known quality standpoint. The factory filters are just plain black with no markings. Due to price point on these machines I would assume that the factory filter would be made as.cheap as possible

I have not had any real luck finding a cross, so In doing my first oil change I decided to cut the factory filter and see what is inside.

20220721_104810.thumb.jpg.a25f6ae3fde0d8a08ea381e189a7568c.jpg

I don't have a fancy oil filter cutting set up, so I just clamped it in the vise and went to town with my portaband. Excuse the rough cuts and metal shavings.20220721_105045.thumb.jpg.abcbee34d9e48418140541c4bee355b0.jpg

Looks like a good quality filter, plenty of pleats/surface area. Metal endcaps. Excuse the crushing, that's from the vise/strap wrench to remove it.

20220721_105104.thumb.jpg.9a1acad6d38ca438dde48748bfcb3c72.jpg

Relief valve

20220721_105037.thumb.jpg.701acf44fcd8387745b7ae46ddb32d4c.jpg

And a spring in the bottom of the can to keep the top silicone anti-drainback pressed in place.

Overall looks like a surprisingly good quality filter for a no name. At least we can know that using the factory filters on these should be acceptable. I feel better about paying $10 for this filter at least knowing it's good quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By nods
      Less than 40 miles can barely start. Dealer is working with Hisun on a number of other issues on this UTV. Can not get clear info on the meaning of these E codes this is getting. Anybody have some clear info for me?
    • By aefron88
      I've seen a number of requests for the location of all the grease points on these machines, and there is no definitive list in the manual. This covers the UT400, but other Coleman/Hisun models should be similar.
      Tools:
      First to grease your machine you need a grease gun and some NLGI#2 grease. You will find it helpful to buy a needle attachment as pictured here, due to poor clearance on some of the U-joints. The rest of the zerks use the standard attachment.

Technique:
      Wipe any dirt/grease off the zerk before greasing to prevent pushing gunk inside and causing excess wear.
      Push the grease gun on the zerk at a straight angle and give it a few pumps. You will hear an oozing noise or sea grease coming out from the outside of the greased area when you've put enough grease in, a few pumps should be plenty.
      If it's just oozing around the zerk you either don't have a good seat with the gun, or the zerk may be rusted and the check ball frozen. Try seating it again and regrease.
      Wipe up any excess grease when youre done to prevent making a mess.
      Greasepoints:

Rear A-Arms are greasable with the wheels on from the rear, I took the picture with the wheel off for easier visibility

That's it. All other Hisuns should be substantially similar.
    • By JSmojo
      I've been looking at various types of UTVs in the 400-700cc range. It seems that Massimo has a really good price point but I don't know much about their reliability and availability of parts. Been looking specifically at their T-Boss 550. I've heard the parts might be an issue because the network is smaller, but couldn't find much info from owners.
      Here are a few specific questions about them
      1. In your opinion, are the reliable? Specifically, have you hand any parts break that in your mind shouldn't have? 
      2. If you had one and got rid of it, what was the reason? 
      3. If you don't recommend Massimo, what would you recommend (even if it costs a little more)?
      4. How easy is it to find a place to service them? How easy is it to get parts if you want to service it yourself? 
      If you have any other advice, I would appreciate it. I'm also looking at the Hisun Sector 550.
    • By MJG
      Hello, 
      I found an 08 Renegade for sale and looking to purchase it.  I haven’t heard too much about these machines and any insight would be much appreciated.  Are they good machines?
    • By Aaron Colona
      Just bought a brand new 760 about a month ago. I'm at 20 hours which the book says is when you need to change the break in oil. 

I must be crazy, but I can't find the oil filter. I've googled a million videos...everything seems to be 2019 or lower...and/or a 550.  They all show the filter easily seen by looking in past the rear passenger tire on the engine. There is absolutely nothing there on mine. 

1.there seems to be very little info if you Google a 760, or anything Massimo newer than like 2019. 

2. Does anyone have a current model year 760 that can answer my riddle for me?