Quantcast

Coleman UT 550X Outfitter not starting

I have a 2022 Coleman UT 550X Outfitter purchased April 2022 that has about 200 hrs on it.  About 4 weeks ago we noticed a little difficulty in starting.  Instead of the usual starting without giving any pedal, we had to depress the accelerator pedal slightly in order for it to start and keep on running.  Otherwise it ran fine, but last week, it would not start at all.  We have checked the fuel pump, fuel filter and spark, and all seem fine.  We actually replaced the spark plug.  Don't know where to go from here - anybody have any suggestions?

I have a 550 with 300 miles acting the same way started out as I was driving along it would sputter like it was running out of gas but if you floored it then it would go but I don't always want to be going 30 mph anyway it's progressively gotten worse and now it will start while pushing accelerater and only runs about 5 minutes. I'm very interested to see what you find out about yours. 

I have a 550 with 300 miles acting the same way started out as I was driving along it would sputter like it was running out of gas but if you floored it then it would go but I don't always want to be going 30 mph anyway it's progressively gotten worse and now it will start while pushing accelerater and only runs about 5 minutes. I'm very interested to see what you find out about yours. I guess I should add that I've checked the fuel pump (seems fine) changed fuel injector, fuel filter, tmap sensor and spark plug. Actually ran better with old parts 

Mark,

Thanks for your input.  I haven't had time to work much on my UTV yet,, and I was hoping to hear a few more comments back.  Actually, the next thing I was goint to look at was the injector and the sensor both of which you have already checked.  I will certainly l will certainly let you know if I determine the problem.  

Raider Rich

Good morning just thought I'd let you know I talked to a mechanic about my sxs he didn't work on it or anything but he said it sounded like a machine he fixed one time that had sheared the key on the flywheel and that would make it go in and out of timing. I've contacted coleman and they have opened a warranty claim for me now I'm waiting for notification about taking it to a designated repair shop. So we'll see I guess I'll keep you up to date. 

Hello Mark,

Has your UTV Dr resolved your problem yet?  If you can't get good factory injectors, then where can you get them.  I haven't started on mine yet, as we are finishing up a cattle watering project.  Also I need to get a new spark plug wire, which arrived yesterday.  One problem I have is that I have no UTV repairman within about 60 miles, so I and a hand am going to have to troubleshoot and solve the probleem.  Keep me posted - I have a feeling my problem is also going to be the injector.

Raider Rich

Good morning Rich no I have not heard from the doctor yet the injector diagnosis was as we were unloading it  it would only run if I pretty much kept floored. They were going to do a thorough check of everything and let me know.  He did say that they order parts from coleman so that's kinda all I know right now. This shop is 42 miles from me but I figured that only 5 months old they needed to be the ones fixing it. As soon as I know something I'll share it with you 

On 4/25/2023 at 4:36 PM, Raider Rich said:

I have a 2022 Coleman UT 550X Outfitter purchased April 2022 that has about 200 hrs on it.  About 4 weeks ago we noticed a little difficulty in starting.  Instead of the usual starting without giving any pedal, we had to depress the accelerator pedal slightly in order for it to start and keep on running.  Otherwise it ran fine, but last week, it would not start at all.  We have checked the fuel pump, fuel filter and spark, and all seem fine.  We actually replaced the spark plug.  Don't know where to go from here - anybody have any suggestions?

Thinking of the one here that I just took apart w/200 hrs on it, I expect the timing chain is shot.  As the chain wears, it retards cam timing, and starts to slap -tighten/loosen-as the engine spins, so the valves open/close at the wrong times. Finally, cam timing is so far off that there's little or no compression, and/or the chain jumps a tooth or two.....so the engine fires someplace other that just before TDC..   Fairly easy to get to the timing chain tensioner, pull it out to see if it is at full extension (no tension on chain).  If so, the chain is toast.....

Hi Rich shop decided that it's the injector so they ordered a new one from coleman not sure it'll be any better  but if they put it in its their problem when it fails machanic said said there's always junk in the fuel tank from  the factory and it plugs up the injector I hate taking it to a shop I could change it myself but I worry about voiding the warranty and what if somthing serious would happen  but anyway that's all I have for now good luck 

3 hours ago, Mark Bruce said:

Hi Rich shop decided that it's the injector so they ordered a new one from coleman not sure it'll be any better  but if they put it in its their problem when it fails machanic said said there's always junk in the fuel tank from  the factory and it plugs up the injector I hate taking it to a shop I could change it myself but I worry about voiding the warranty and what if somthing serious would happen  but anyway that's all I have for now good luck 

An injector is about $12, and yes, that is a possibility. As this UTV had only 200 hrs, that's what I did first, and quickly found how wrong that knee-jerk solution was.  If that new injector does not help, you might suggest that they pull out the chain tensioner to see if there is any tension on the chain.  If not, that's the problem....  If so, hope there's a warranty in effect, as the engine has to come out for replacement.

On 5/9/2023 at 6:34 AM, Raider Rich said:

Hello Mark,

Has your UTV Dr resolved your problem yet?  If you can't get good factory injectors, then where can you get them.  I haven't started on mine yet, as we are finishing up a cattle watering project.  Also I need to get a new spark plug wire, which arrived yesterday.  One problem I have is that I have no UTV repairman within about 60 miles, so I and a hand am going to have to troubleshoot and solve the probleem.  Keep me posted - I have a feeling my problem is also going to be the injector.

Raider Rich

I you'd like to try the injector, the part # is 28160355.  On ebay they are about $10-$20.  Easy swap out.  But, with 300 on it, I'd bet on the timing chain.  Easy check; two small bolts to pull out the tensioner.....

• 2 months later...

Hello Mark Bruce, Eppa Wimbish and all others who followed my thread originally posted 4/25/23.  Ihave just now finished working on my Coleman 550X, and it is now running and starting like new.  It's problems were twofold, but I believe they all came from a bad air filter installation. 

(1)  We removed the MAF Sensor and it was very dirty -the opening was actually clogged.  At the time, we also noticed a lot of crud in the Intake manifold.  We cleaned MAF and the intake manifold, and we could then start it with using a small amount of pedal.  It would run ok, but not perfect. 

(2)  Decided to check valve clearances and found absolutely no clearance on the intake, but the exhaust was a little greater than .005".  We set the intake at .005 and tightened up the exhaust to just a little above .005. Then the engine started without any pedal and now runs like new.

Then I checked out all the air intake pipes between filter and manifold.- they were all filthy, so I cleaned thoroughly. I investigated the air filters and housing, and believe that sometime the housing lid was not closed properly.  I do not like the housing design, because the lid has to be installed only one way and fastened down correctly in order to hold the filters securely in place.  I believe it is virtually impossible to secure the clips on the lid with medium to large fingers, so I made a tool to do this.  I believe this may have been the root of my problems.  Unfortunately, now I have to worry about how much damage may have been done to the engine by it's breathing dirty air.

Try reseting the computer.

1. Begin with the key in the off position.

2. Cycle the key to run and then the off position 5 times within 30 seconds. But do not start the engine. Make sure the fuel pump start. Before turning back off.

3. After the 5th on. Turn the key off and leave off at least 30 seconds.

That will reset the computer. 

I have had to do this to my Axis every now and then. I probably need to install a new injector and clean the MAF sensor. I have changed the fuel filter already. The OEM filter was clogged with paint chips from the factory.