Quantcast

Power loss

ricksrb

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think it is a ground problem. Sensor or Computer more likely! You may have to slowly but carefully change out each until the bad component is found. This may require changing one out and driving it for a while as intermittent problems are hard to find. Won't be able to just change one out and start up the Trooper up and move on to the next one. Shops hate this kind of stuff!

Have or were the Troopers having this problem used in wet weather, water crossings or Washed / Cleaned? Maybe we can find a correlation with dampness and the problem. I rarely clean and if I do carefully my Trooper with water. Live in a very dry climate with few if any water crossings. I'm not having any of these problem. IMHO the Trooper is not water tight enough for use in weather or washings.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Don't think it is a ground problem. Sensor or Computer more likely! You may have to slowly but carefully change out each until the bad component is found. This may require changing one out and driving it for a while as intermittent problems are hard to find. Won't be able to just change one out and start up the Trooper up and move on to the next one. Shops hate this kind of stuff!

Have or were the Troopers having this problem used in wet weather, water crossings or Washed / Cleaned? Maybe we can find a correlation with dampness and the problem. I rarely clean and if I do carefully my Trooper with water. Live in a very dry climate with few if any water crossings. I'm not having any of these problem. IMHO the Trooper is not water tight enough for use in weather or washings.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Not water related.Had it snce only 7 miles on it and problem started second trip out and it had not been subject to water.Like you when i have cleaned it i have been very careful with the water and i too drive it in dry climate,Havasu mainly.I am looking for the 02 sensor replacement as that was recommended by Casey at joyner.

Thanks Rick, that rules out one possible cause. Will be interesting when the cause is finally found. Will be of great value to the rest of us as sooner of later we may end up with this problem. Maybe you could borrow someone's sensor near you to see if that is the problem.

Did you check with Jarad on this site to see if he has one?

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Once the engine is running the battery connection much less important than when starting. IMHO

Sorry..... but the ONLY source for a ground is " THE BATTERY" without sufficient connections all types of failures start to occur. Even corroded terminals will cause computer malfunctions.

A.

Thanks Rick, that rules out one possible cause. Will be interesting when the cause is finally found. Will be of great value to the rest of us as sooner of later we may end up with this problem. Maybe you could borrow someone's sensor near you to see if that is the problem.

Did you check with Jarad on this site to see if he has one?

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I have not checked with him,not sure who he is.Casey said and 02 Sensor for a 4 cylinder engine would work.Does that sound right?

Guest Lenny

I just changed both of my sensors. I used a Bosch #13007 from Checkers for $89 then bought the second one, same bosch from NAPA for $74. If you have to change them, you will probably have to put the old connector on the new one. That is what I did, The 2 white wires on the new connector are the 12v heater wires. Use a meter to find the two 12 volt DC wires commng from the computer. Check this at the plug for the O2 sensor, not the one on the sensor it self. You can have the sensor unplugged for this and you must have the ignition on. Once established, cut and splice the 12v leads to the two white wires on the new sensor. Then hook the Grey to the grey and the black to the white and youir done. Unless you can find a auto parts dealer willing to sit and go through boxes, you will not find the same plug and even then you may not

Lenny

Gates,

I am still having the problem.If you stop and rev it up a little does it go away at least for a while? Also if i turn off the battery disconnect it fixes it for a while.I have checked many things as well as changing plugs.I was recently told by an ex joyner employee to check the 02 sensors to see if they are the japanese type,if so should change them.just checked them this moring and appears they are so next thing will be changing them.

yes it does if i push in the clutch mash it out one time then it is ok for a lil while it just seems like it does it whenever it wants i tried different things tryin to cause it but it wont do it

yes it does if i push in the clutch mash it out one time then it is ok for a lil while it just seems like it does it whenever it wants i tried different things tryin to cause it but it wont do it

sounds like you and i have the same issue.funny there has been a couple times where i went for a 3 or 4 hour ride and it would not do it.

sounds like you and i have the same issue.funny there has been a couple times where i went for a 3 or 4 hour ride and it would not do it.

yeah i just took mine out tuesday and went for a 3hr ride and it didnt do it once untill i got out on the main road to come home and i made it into 4th gear when it just totally bogged out on me

Guest Lenny

I noticed something on mine that makes me wonder. I have my fuel pressure gauge right where I can see it from the drivers seat. I had a few times when mine bogged as I approached higher RPMs, say 4000, and I noticed that the fuel pressure dropped momentarily almost to nothing and then went back up. Something, probably the computer, tells the fuel pump to run momentarily when the key is turned on then also run when starting and started. I'm thinking that one of the sensors tells the computer it's OK to run the pump. Probably the RPM sensor on the bell housing opposite side of engine from the starter. In other words, if the engine is turning, run the pump. If Mine is bogging out then maybe the RPM sensor fails to read correctly above a certain RPM and fails to signal and then the computer thinks the engine isn't turning so it shuts off the pump. The engine quickly drops a few RPMs and the sensor works again and the pump quickly starts back up. I'm going to try bypassing the computer and put an override switch to turn on the pump so it runs until I turn it off. I'm fairly confident that my problem will be gone when I do this. Every time mine boggs and I look at the pressure, it is dropping. This way maybe it wont drop and the bogg will hopefully go away. Then I'll start checking my RPM circuit and sensor. Probably just replace the sensor seeing as I can't properly check a sensor that works sometimes..

Lenny

If it is not Lenny's idea, just had another thought.

Is anyone with the original tank in front, the first version of fuel tank, having this problem? My tank is the front mount and no problem, YET! Because of my tank location, the fuel system is always under pressure even if it is ever so small a pressure. The pump is not sucking from a dry source, the fuel is always there. My fuel pump is below the fuel in the tank.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

If it is not Lenny's idea, just had another thought.

Is anyone with the original tank in front, the first version of fuel tank, having this problem? My tank is the front mount and no problem, YET! Because of my tank location, the fuel system is always under pressure even if it is ever so small a pressure. The pump is not sucking from a dry source, the fuel is always there. My fuel pump is below the fuel in the tank.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

So far only found two of us with the problem and mine is a T-4 and I think gates98 is also.My pump is above the tank but if that was the cause seems like this would be an issue with all T-4's.I did move the filter past the pump from before the pump as was suggested but still have the problem.My next attempt to resolve this issue will be to replace the battery terminal clamps,install a better ground,and replace the two 02 Sensors.Wont be able to do that until next weekend,got it in garage in Havasu and thats my next planed trip.

Here's a thought for you, how much gas do you have in you tank when this happens, It may be uncovering your intakes momentarily with deceleration or down hill. There is a good thread about this problem, and maybe it's why you're losing power some times and not other, plenty of fuel versus low fuel. The final good ideas didn't come out until around post 89 --- Fuel Tanks & Mods - UTV BOARD - Side X Side and UTV Forum - Page 5 --- The surge tank and 2nd pump, even if the surge tank is only a 1/2 gallon or so, mine is over a gallon and a 1/2. I'm almost sure the fuel pump runs all the time the motor is running, I don't know if it's triggered by the alternator or some other sensor, as suggested earlier.

kinarfi

Here's a thought for you, how much gas do you have in you tank when this happens, It may be uncovering your intakes momentarily with deceleration or down hill. There is a good thread about this problem, and maybe it's why you're losing power some times and not other, plenty of fuel versus low fuel. The final good ideas didn't come out until around post 89 --- Fuel Tanks & Mods - UTV BOARD - Side X Side and UTV Forum - Page 5 --- The surge tank and 2nd pump, even if the surge tank is only a 1/2 gallon or so, mine is over a gallon and a 1/2. I'm almost sure the fuel pump runs all the time the motor is running, I don't know if it's triggered by the alternator or some other sensor, as suggested earlier.

kinarfi

I have seen the thread but It has done it with tank full,half full you name it.And when it has done it it has been on level ground and incline,doesnt seem to matter.

I just changed both of my sensors. I used a Bosch #13007 from Checkers for $89 then bought the second one, same bosch from NAPA for $74. If you have to change them, you will probably have to put the old connector on the new one. That is what I did, The 2 white wires on the new connector are the 12v heater wires. Use a meter to find the two 12 volt DC wires commng from the computer. Check this at the plug for the O2 sensor, not the one on the sensor it self. You can have the sensor unplugged for this and you must have the ignition on. Once established, cut and splice the 12v leads to the two white wires on the new sensor. Then hook the Grey to the grey and the black to the white and youir done. Unless you can find a auto parts dealer willing to sit and go through boxes, you will not find the same plug and even then you may not

Lenny

Just checked with auto zone for the bosch 02 sensor.They have it for $59.99.plug looks almost the same,wont know till i go to install it.

Thanks,

So far only found two of us with the problem and mine is a T-4 and I think gates98 is also.My pump is above the tank but if that was the cause seems like this would be an issue with all T-4's.I did move the filter past the pump from before the pump as was suggested but still have the problem.My next attempt to resolve this issue will be to replace the battery terminal clamps,install a better ground,and replace the two 02 Sensors.Wont be able to do that until next weekend,got it in garage in Havasu and thats my next planed trip.

mine is a T2 im going to start checking into the tps i know on my truck the tps was bad and it had simular problems

i cant find any info on the tps in the book i have to do sum more diggin

Do you have the 1100trooperT2-T4_owners_manual? Mine is 27,248 Kb, so I can't email it, so I zipped it to 23,831 Kb and I think I can email that, do you want it? PM me with email address if you want it. (ANY ONE)

Kinarfi