Quantcast

Opinions on reliability and maintenance

Looked at a lot of UTVs lately. Couple Questions about Hisun. Some people say they are just cheap with no customer service. Other people seem to have no problems with them.

Any opinions on Hisun reliability?

Heard parts are hard to get. Is that true?

If you had one and didn't like it what do you recommend?

I think you'll find that there is a much larger percentage of people that have had issues with Hisun et al.  (Coleman, etc) than with any other brand.  I had a Coleman 550.  Which is just a Hisun with Coleman badges.  I had problems from the get go.  Customer service is a joke.  Finding someone to work on it was impossible for me ... partly because I don't live in the city.  So, I did the work myself.  Until I just got sick of it.  A UTV needs to be like a toaster.  You get in and go.  Do some maintenance after 50+ hours.  Then get in and go again.  Parts were hard to find.  Even something simple like an oil filter that actually fits was difficult. 

A Hisun UTV reminds me of owning an old boat.  I spent more time working on it than using it.

I went with a Kubota as a replacement.  RTV-x1140.  Could not be happier.  Just did my 200 hour maintenance.  Won't have to touch it again for 200 hours.

Good luck,

CC

Hisun support is non existent, and their service manuals leave out a lot. The user manuals are also pretty lacking and out of date.

I wouldn't buy one without being somewhat mechanically inclined. You will need to do some services relatively soon after purchase as they tend to come poorly assembled and adjusted, especially if you buy one from a big box store since the final assembly will be done by a 19 yr old who doesn't know what they're doing.

Parts are easy to get from a number of sources and a lot are common across many of their models. Hisun themselves don't sell parts retail, but a lot of smaller vendors do, as well as dealers. You won't be getting them from the auto parts store however so expect a wait for shipping.

Some people seem to get lemons, and that seems to be more of what you see posted. That's common across brands, most people aren't searching for a forum to post about how their UTV has been flawless for 5k miles. I have my suspicions that some of the issues are more poor adjustment and lack of proper maintenence related.

The actual EFI systems on these things are relatively easy to troubleshoot with free software and about $30 on cabling, I posted a tutorial on the Coleman forum.

To each their own. You might have better luck with a name brand, but my experience has been the MSRP quoted on the website is much lower than the out the door price from all of the local dealers who love to add thousands of dollars in fees. That's pretty much why I went with a Coleman. I did a lot of research and had read the entire service manual before purchasing, found parts sources etc.

I have a 2016 Massimo 500 SXS and it has been a beast. I have loaded it with brush, firewood, dirt, gravel, rocks (big rocks) and it has always been a reliable, powerful piece of equipment. One hell of a tool. I have replaced the battery once and the fuel injector. If I went out there right now, it would start, run, and deliver. I cannot speak to others who have either had or have not had different experiences but as for me, I like it. 

In addition to the work I had to perform on my Coleman,  I posted the results of the oil analysis I had done.  It showed that the machine was falling apart inside.  I encourage everyone to get the oil analyzed no matter what brand.  It's a good indicator of what your future will be.

• 2 weeks later...

Having owed ATVs/UTVs for 30 years, I would strongly advise owning only major brands like Honda or Polaris.  The cheap machines are just what you pay for - cheap machines.  Be sure you know where you can get service, parts, and answers to any questions prior to buying a machine. You need a dealer and not a Lowes store when something needs attention.  I've owned Honda products which are very high quality, but I'd think hard about Polaris if I were in the market for a machine.  There are a few other manufacturers that I'm sure offer reasonable support, but a dealer is critical IMHO even though the better machines are reliable.  The forums are a good place for information of course.  If you have a trail that you plan to ride in your area, go there and talk to the people that have experience.  People really like to help.

• Like 1

I have owned many Hondas over the last 40 yrs.. All were absolutely bulletproof machines..  but I must say I bought a CF MOTO ATV  1 1/2 yrs ago because there were no Hondas available anywhere..   and it is fabulous..  2 yr warrantee, dealers everywhere if I need one.. But so far, oil change is all its needed.. and it smokes my Hondas.  My wife loves the automatic CVT trans and power steering and smooth IRS ...

I find your post very interesting.  I just took a quick look and they do look like nice machines, but I don't have a dealer within 70 miles that I see. Your post makes me want me to take a closer look.  If I were to be shopping for a machine, I'd make an effort to consider the CFMOTO.   My Honda Foreman ATV is about 24 years old, and it could have a premature serious problem, but so far it keeps on plowing snow and hauling firewood.  LOL

14 hours ago, Redtape said:

I find your post very interesting.  I just took a quick look and they do look like nice machines, but I don't have a dealer within 70 miles that I see. Your post makes me want me to take a closer look.  If I were to be shopping for a machine, I'd make an effort to consider the CFMOTO.   My Honda Foreman ATV is about 24 years old, and it could have a premature serious problem, but so far it keeps on plowing snow and hauling firewood.  LOL

I highly recommend a test ride.. even if you have  to go70 mi .. I m 70 yrs old and rode ATVs since a kid so I speak from experience.I too have 1 Honda thats 25 yrs old and still runs.  But  I was genuinely impressed with CF MOTO. And no, I dont work for them..   We have had zero issues with ours and I do not baby them!