Quantcast

BANG IT'S DEAD -MAYBE

Az Bound

We we riding the Majove Trail this past weekend (on old wagon trail running thru the Majove desert in California) when one rib of my alternator belt deceided to shread off. I was able to cut off the one rib and continue on my way. Unknown to me the belt had pulled on the rear end locker cable and engaged it. Part of the route back was over asphalt and then a hard u-turn down a sand enbankment. Just as I made the transistion from the asphalt to the sand downhill there was a large BANG from the rear of the trooper. Sitting in about 2ft of sand at the bottom of the hill, I punched the throttle and the buggy leaped out of the sand and on to a hard pack two track. The final few miles back to the staging area everything seemed normal, no additional noise except for the fact that I could tell the locker was in when backing it onto the trailer. Next day I located the locker cable problem and unlocked the differental, installed a new belt, jacked up the rear end and turned the tires by hand listening for any noise or grinding. Drove it around the neighborhood forward and backward with a friend listening for noise. There was none, but I believe that I had to have damaged the unit and that it's got to come apart. I have not drained the oil to check for metal, but will when I return to Arizona next week.

Do you think the differential is still serviceable or will it have to be replaced/repaired?

We we riding the Majove Trail this past weekend (on old wagon trail running thru the Majove desert in California) when one rib of my alternator belt deceided to shread off. I was able to cut off the one rib and continue on my way. Unknown to me the belt had pulled on the rear end locker cable and engaged it. Part of the route back was over asphalt and then a hard u-turn down a sand enbankment. Just as I made the transistion from the asphalt to the sand downhill there was a large BANG from the rear of the trooper. Sitting in about 2ft of sand at the bottom of the hill, I punched the throttle and the buggy leaped out of the sand and on to a hard pack two track. The final few miles back to the staging area everything seemed normal, no additional noise except for the fact that I could tell the locker was in when backing it onto the trailer. Next day I located the locker cable problem and unlocked the differental, installed a new belt, jacked up the rear end and turned the tires by hand listening for any noise or grinding. Drove it around the neighborhood forward and backward with a friend listening for noise. There was none, but I believe that I had to have damaged the unit and that it's got to come apart. I have not drained the oil to check for metal, but will when I return to Arizona next week.

Do you think the differential is still serviceable or will it have to be replaced/repaired?

do you think the bang was the diff going into lock?maybe the belt just partially pulled the cable and when you made the transition it jerked into lock position.Other then the bang is there any other reason you think there is damage? Good luck.

I had the loud bang. turned out to be upper differential mount tore loose from the tubing. Had to replace the tubing that the mount was welded to. As the welder said "its American strong now" hope this helps

Guest Lenny

I had the loud bang. turned out to be upper differential mount tore loose from the tubing. Had to replace the tubing that the mount was welded to. As the welder said "its American strong now" hope this helps

I think It's a good idea to take a flashlight and crawl around your Trooper and check for frame tubing and joint cracks. I found one on mine that was on the underside of the lower tube that runs rearward from the seat are to along side of the oil pan. This crack was in the seam of the tubing and was about 8" long. I cleaned off the paint and put a good heavy weld bead over the split. A frame crack could result in real serious Trooper damage or worse yet, an accident. I found the crack by accident and now check every now and then when I'm crawling in, around and or under it,

Lenny

I think It's a good idea to take a flashlight and crawl around your Trooper and check for frame tubing and joint cracks. I found one on mine that was on the underside of the lower tube that runs rearward from the seat are to along side of the oil pan. This crack was in the seam of the tubing and was about 8" long. I cleaned off the paint and put a good heavy weld bead over the split. A frame crack could result in real serious Trooper damage or worse yet, an accident. I found the crack by accident and now check every now and then when I'm crawling in, around and or under it,

Lenny

Lenny,

Hearing things like that really make me wonder.Most of you have the T-2's and to have that problem and mine being a T-4 I have to think what extra supports if any they put into mine being that its longer.

I would never have thought of differential support or frame damage as the source of the noise. I'll pull the skid plates and check, along with draining the oil and checking for metal chips.

Thanks for the input, I'll keep you advised.

Dennis

While your under there, you may want to consider putting these on for easier access in the future.

2022856910104110397ULpSet_th.jpg

or maybe this.

2093207660104110397PpxreP_th.jpg

if interested ask me where I got them

Iam happy to report that there seems to be no differential or frame damage after close inspection. The only explanation I have as of now is that the locker engaged just as we made the downhill turn and that the bang noise was a result of the gears locking up hard. Anyway Iam keeping my fingers crossed. Ran it out in the desert a number of times with no grinding or strange noises and the rear end didn't fall out so I think Iam good to go.

Kinarfi

I already stole those ideas from you. Got any more? (EDIT) They were a gift, Enjoy! Kinarfi

Happy Trails

Dennis

Iam happy to report that there seems to be no differential or frame damage after close inspection. The only explanation I have as of now is that the locker engaged just as we made the downhill turn and that the bang noise was a result of the gears locking up hard. Anyway Iam keeping my fingers crossed. Ran it out in the desert a number of times with no grinding or strange noises and the rear end didn't fall out so I think Iam good to go.

Kinarfi

I already stole those ideas from you. Got any more? (EDIT) They were a gift, Enjoy! Kinarfi

Happy Trails

Dennis

Trooper Modifications pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots