Quantcast

rwc_critter

09 Prowler Differential Problem

I experienced a problem with my 09 Prowler jerking when you try to take off from a dead start or at a rolling start. It did not do it when in 4 wheel drive. I discovered that the rear driveline was turning as much as 3 or 4 revolutions before rearend would engage. This machine has the turf saver rear differential. I removed the rearend and found that the spool was welded so you could not take apart. I ground the welds off and dissassembled and found that there are a type of clutch pack on each side. Mine was damaged beyond any repair on one side. So to make a long story short I was wondering if anyone has removed there turf saver and installed a solid spool from a older model. If so do you have the correct part #'s. The turf saver spool and gear assembly is upwards of $700.00 everywhere I have looked online and the comparable solid spools are around 150.00 in the older models. I have compared the parts diagrams and numbers to several other models and everything seems to be the same except for the pinion tooth numbers and the spool with the ring gear. My pinion is 10 tooth and the ring gear 36 tooth. I can't afford to spend 700 plus dollars to repair this rearend so any help would be appreciated

So it sounds like you are saying you have a limited-slip rear end and with the old solid you would have a full-time locker rear end. They probably went to the limited slip to make your machine more drivable on hard surfaces. If the solid will install, go for it since $ are limited. Just stay of the hard stuff.

Just my two-cents and is not worth more until someone agrees.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

From my research I know that the axles are the same, housing is same part number, bearings seals etc. are the same. My gear ratio is 3.6 and most of the older ones are 4.0 with a 9 tooth pinion instead of a 10 tooth pinion which is in mine. Will the ring gear work if i reshim the gears? The teeth are straight cut hypoid so I think they will. I just don't have the money to experiment. I am hoping someone else has already experienced this problem and can help.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Massimo no start

2017 msu500 efi. Has spark and fuel. Valves are within clearances.  Leave key on I get a 118 code. Ect sensor? Could this keep it from starting Old plug was black

By Swampdonkey, in Hisun UTV SxS Forum

• 9 replies
    • Joyner commando new rear problem

I recently bought a rear for my cammando from joyner and somethings not right the cv axles fit fine but the output shaft is different any one ele run into this problem or have an idea to make it work? Im gonna email joyner today and see if they can help but i figured someone on here might know something.

By Bryan T Mumink Jr, in Joyner UTV SxS Forum

• 16 replies
    • hisun 800 intake backfire/no start

I am working on a friends hisun 800. he said whenever you transport it on a trailer it takes forever to start and he has to floor it to get it to start. he also said it wouldn't go over 30mph like it was being held back. I get it to my house try to start it and all im getting is backfire through intake. I checked spark it was good. I know its a no no but I sprayed a small shot of starting fluid in airbox to see if it would start and it backfired and lit the fluid on fire. currently I am wondering if the valves may be out of adjustment anybody have any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

By huey224, in Hisun UTV SxS Forum

• 2 replies
    • 2016 Joyner T2 1100cc 4 wheel drive

I have a 2016 Joyner T2 that is giving me problems engaging in and out of 4 wheel drive.  I have read some older posts that address this issue on some older models, but can't get any of the older pics to open for a good explanation.   I have not taken anything apart at this point.  Hoping some mechanically savvy Joyner owners can help me out. Thanks

By Snatchy, in UTV General Discussion

• 0 replies
    • Neighbors mechanical problem.

Old guy that lives down the road is having a problem with his box side by side. It'll start and run for about five to ten minutes then bogs down and dies. It will not start up till it cools down and then it will start fine and do it again. Gauge shows not overheating and the oil and antifreeze is topped off. Any suggestions on what it can be? Just trying to help him out.

By baydog2, in UTV General Discussion

• 2 replies