Quantcast

COMMUNICATIONS

Gumball

Now that I'm just about back on the trail I'm thinking of upgrading my communication system. My current setup allows me to talk car to car, monitor my radar detector (when on the bike), and use my cell phone. I would like to have something similar that is more substantial. I'm looking at aviation gear but it's really expensive. I'd appreciate hearing what some of you are using. My setup now has to many wires, ear buds, PTT switch, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Gumball

Now that I'm just about back on the trail I'm thinking of upgrading my communication system. My current setup allows me to talk car to car, monitor my radar detector (when on the bike), and use my cell phone. I would like to have something similar that is more substantial. I'm looking at aviation gear but it's really expensive. I'd appreciate hearing what some of you are using. My setup now has to many wires, ear buds, PTT switch, etc.

Gumball

I used to fly, 2542113130104110397LrNwGm_th.jpg, and it was so noisy I had to invest in aviation head phones, http://www.lynx-avionics.com/, they work great and at present, I have them set up so they can work with FRS radios or just plug my nano into them and listen to that, but still be able to talk to my wife or passenger and hear them easily. Here's a photo of them laying on my hood while stuck.2231115420104110397PqnQKL_th.jpg Click on photo, then, then full size, and then on the photo again.

Kinarfi

Hi Jeff,

That looks like the hot setup! I think in spite of the cost in the long run that's the way to go. Our troopers are not the quietest things around, especially when you factor in the wind noise. Having VOX, noise cancelling has to be a good thing. I have several radios that would work, including my ham radios. I've been told there are radios available in the GMRS frequencies that have quite a bit of power.

At our annual Outlaw Jamboree we have a communication person on each ride with a satellite phone. Great thing, but to rich for my blood. I do carry a SPOT satellite transmitter just in case but it isn't good for local communications.

I like your fenders, they work good and are a lot tougher material than the stock ones. I ordered rear wheel bearing and I'm hoping I don't have to replace the hub on the left side. I'm doing like Noah did when the Lord asked, "what are you doing?" Noah replied, "I'm trying to get my ship together". Eventually I'll get my ship together.

Richard

Hi Jeff,

That looks like the hot setup! I think in spite of the cost in the long run that's the way to go. Our troopers are not the quietest things around, especially when you factor in the wind noise. Having VOX, noise cancelling has to be a good thing. I have several radios that would work, including my ham radios. I've been told there are radios available in the GMRS frequencies that have quite a bit of power.

At our annual Outlaw Jamboree we have a communication person on each ride with a satellite phone. Great thing, but to rich for my blood. I do carry a SPOT satellite transmitter just in case but it isn't good for local communications.

I like your fenders, they work good and are a lot tougher material than the stock ones. I ordered rear wheel bearing and I'm hoping I don't have to replace the hub on the left side. I'm doing like Noah did when the Lord asked, "what are you doing?" Noah replied, "I'm trying to get my ship together". Eventually I'll get my ship together.

Richard

What's cubit? from on old bill cosby skit about noah. Riiigght!! They do tend to get heavy after a while and if you put a muffler on like I did, you don't need the heavy duty sound proofing these give, but the vox is great, you can even talk to and hear the passenger with out even raising your voice and the noise cancellation is superb. If you wear a ball cap, be sure to get rid of that stupid button on the top!!!!

Gumball

http://www.skygeek.com/daclk10hekit.html?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+More+Info&utm_content=Disorganization+is+a+%22Mess%22erschmitt&utm_campaign=Newsletter+2.17.11

This just showed up as SPam IMO, but I thought you may want to see it

Jeff

Gumball

Gumball, I have recently put an amatuer radio, Yaesue FTM-10R, in my buggy. It is a great radio that has a waterproff detachable head, AM,FM, line in jack, and VHf & UHF. It is made for our application. Although it is a ham radio it can be modified to trans on the commercial bands. I just adapted a Rugged Radio headset w/mic (aviation quality) and PTT in the earmuff to the radio. Every thing is working good, talking to by buddies over 30 miles away on simplex,(no repeaters). Another option is a radio called Black Box which is VHF only and is imported with freqs 137MZ to 174MZ. A freind of mine, Bill McMaclay is selling those at [email protected] or 909 276 7004. I am a firm believer in radios, it has come in very useful on rides with my buddies.

Dick

Hello Dick,

I've been thinking about doing some work on my Yaesu FT-2400. The question becomes "who do I talk to?" One of the guys in the Apache Club is running a ham radio but I'm not sure what frequencies he's on. If he's running in the GMRS band I'm out of luck.

Thanks for the input, it's appreciated.

Gumball