Quantcast

Engine swap?

huunz

We had our Joyner 650 Sand Spider out this weekend at Pismo and had a blast with it. The front tires throw a lot of sand, so I've got to put some sort of fender or extended body part up to stop that, and I put a 6 Sigma partial jet kit in it, which made it ever so much easier to start, but the carb got a little sand in something and it stopped running right at the end.

So to my question - one of the guys had a Joyner 4 seater that had the 1600 4 cylinder in it, and felt it was too low on power, so he put a 3.1 Chevy V6/auto in it. He's selling the whole takeout, engine, trans, and computer for $500. Would it fit? I've heard of putting an 800 in a 650, but has anyone done a 1600?

We had our Joyner 650 Sand Spider out this weekend at Pismo and had a blast with it. The front tires throw a lot of sand, so I've got to put some sort of fender or extended body part up to stop that, and I put a 6 Sigma partial jet kit in it, which made it ever so much easier to start, but the carb got a little sand in something and it stopped running right at the end.

So to my question - one of the guys had a Joyner 4 seater that had the 1600 4 cylinder in it, and felt it was too low on power, so he put a 3.1 Chevy V6/auto in it. He's selling the whole takeout, engine, trans, and computer for $500. Would it fit? I've heard of putting an 800 in a 650, but has anyone done a 1600?

Anything is possible with a welder and a bender

Seems like that thing would be super ass heavy.. maybe that motor belongs in a trooper instead

Anything is possible with a welder and a bender

Seems like that thing would be super ass heavy.. maybe that motor belongs in a trooper instead

Heavy relative to the suspension? Or to the rest of the car? I hadn't even considered that. I was just thinking of "more power" LOL

May not be bad on a sand buggy. My old sandrails were so light in the front I could walk around front and lift it up with one arm. At the times when I wanted to keep the front down I had a bolt-able weight I would add. You want the rear wheel powered sandrails light in the front. BUT there are better engine selections with a lot more power, cheap with parts easy to find.

rocmoc n AZ

Silverbullet

The 1600 motor was never vary good.Its low on power and it is vary heavy. Parts are hard to find for the motor & trans.

Rick

Silverbullet

The 1600 motor was never vary good.Its low on power and it is vary heavy. Parts are hard to find for the motor & trans.

Rick

Thanks Rick, that was the kind of info i was looking for. What would be a good swap, or would i be better off just doing mild hop ups on what i have?

How about a 1,000 cc street bike motor? How would that do?

The parking brake assembly came today, thanks again.

Mike

Bike engines are killer fast, I run one in my race car, Yamaha 1150. Problem is most don't have a reverse. I know in England they run my car and they have a reverse but have never seen or hear how they do it. Another problems is torque, most are hp with high rpms and low on torque. Great for sand but not for crawling.

rocmoc n AZ