Quantcast

Need Cam Position Sensor

Guest Lenny

Guest Lenny

Does anyone have a Cam Positon Sensor for a Trooper they want to get rid of. Mine is out. Let me know if you do and what you want for it. Thanks

Lenny

Does anyone have a Cam Positon Sensor for a Trooper they want to get rid of. Mine is out. Let me know if you do and what you want for it. Thanks

Lenny

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Camshaft-Position-Sensor/_/N-9gsn2?itemIdentifier=28917&_requestid=616650

The manual doesn't give a very clear picture of the cam position sensor, but if you take yours down to the auto parts store, maybe they can match yours, what happened to your?

Here' another link for seimens cam position sensors. http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/BE36/POR_BE36_ELignt_pg3.htm

Kinarfi

Guest Lenny

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Camshaft-Position-Sensor/_/N-9gsn2?itemIdentifier=28917&_requestid=616650

The manual doesn't give a very clear picture of the cam position sensor, but if you take yours down to the auto parts store, maybe they can match yours, what happened to your?

Here' another link for seimens cam position sensors. http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/BE36/POR_BE36_ELignt_pg3.htm

Kinarfi

Thanks Jeff. Tried to match it but the one I found that would go in with a slight modification didn't work. I could have wired it wrong and ruined it. First went to NAPA and they let me go through all their boxes to try and match it up. Same at O'Ryllies and Autozone with no luck. Then went to an old auto parts place that had lots of parts books to look at and eventually found something that would go in correctly. But nobody could give me the info on which terminal went to what. I have a miss and after a bunch of reading decided it was in the ignition coil circuit so I re-routed the wires to avoid noise from other wires, went to heavier wires to assure a good strong signal and put a 25 uf capacitor between the hot lead to the ground at the coil. Well at the same time, I saw some other wires that could be shortened and routed a little different so I took care of that at the same time. Unfortunately, guess I'm getting too old, I mixed up the wires going to the cam position sensor and appearently ruined it. That provides Rpm information along with the crank sensor to the computer. Without rpm info to the computer, it won't run.

Jeff, could you do me a favor please? There are three wires going to the cam position sensor as follows:

One goes to the ground,

The other two go to the computer.

---One of those receives a 5v reference signal from the computer.

---The other one gets a, somewheres between, 0 to 5v square wave return pulse from the cam position sensor that goes back to the computer for timing information.

The sensor is a Hal type sensor that triggers off a lug swinging buy it thats on the cam shaft. Could you hook up some of that high tech equipment you use and tell me which terminal is what on the receptical that is on the sensor itself? If you could refer to it looking into the receptical, which is a rectangular shape with a single alignment lug sticking up from the outside center top and 2 alignment lugs sticking down off the bottom side, that would be perfect. Also could you give me the wire color codes going to the plug itself and referencing again to the receptical on the cam sensors . With my wiring and computer being all changed, I can no longer trace things back to the computer nor do I have any of my old wiring notes, which may or may not be correct, to get some hints from. Maybe you being so good with electronics, you can help me from making the same mistake again.

Lenny

One goes to the ground,

The other two go to the computer.

---One of those receives a 5v reference signal from the computer.

---The other one gets a, somewheres between, 0 to 5v square wave return pulse from the cam position sensor that goes back to the computer for timing information.

Lenny

2071445810104282158DyaQDz_th.jpg 2807332780104282158POXewz_th.jpg

Guest Lenny

Thanks Jeff. So you got 12v as the referance power going to the sensor and 5v out. Is this what you measured. I've been running it with 5v reference.

Thanks Mike, I'll give Rick and Casey a call tomorrow.

Lenny

Thanks Jeff. So you got 12v as the referance power going to the sensor and 5v out. Is this what you measured. I've been running it with 5v reference.

Thanks Mike, I'll give Rick and Casey a call tomorrow.

Lenny

The 12 volts is the power for operating, the 5v is from the computer and is grounded and then ungrounded/floated at the sensor, the sensor acts like the light switch in your house and you are the cam, you turn it on to turn on the light in the computer and turn it off to turn of the light in the computer and computer watches for when it turns on or turns off. and it's probably an inductive proximity switch rather than a Hall effect device.

Kinarfi

2481463250104282158SjWAju_th.jpg

Silverbullet

Just got 3 in stock.Will send you one out tomorrow.You should get it Mon. or Tue

Thanks

Jose

Thanks Jose. Try to remember the diff side shaft if you woukd please.

Lenny

Silverbullet

Just got 3 in stock.Will send you one out tomorrow.You should get it Mon. or Tue

Thanks

Jose

Got the sensor in today. Thanks for the super quick service. I'm back up and running and have seemed to have gotten rid of my miss. A little more playing with it then back to the Dyno guy for hopefully the final tune. I'll get the final dyno results to you as soon as I get them. One more thing I can do is to ups the compression. Do you know how many cc your lower compression pistons added to the chamber volumn. I think I can add about another point to my compression ratio. Right now with boost I'm running about 10.75:1 but Dyno guy said I should be able to go to about 11.75:1 and still run premium 91 octain pump gas. That should add to the low end torque and all the way up. I may consider doing that before final tune.

Thanks for finding a cam position sensor for me so quickly, good job.

Lenny

Ps, still need to get you rear suspension data and dimensions.